I want to give a nice $40-$50 light as a gift...

Wave

Newly Enlightened
to a friend. He enjoys camping and can appreciate the value of a "QUALITY" light not a piece of junk. What do you guys suggest, I'm kind of stumped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the StreamLight Twin Task Lights. Xenon bulb and LEDS in one package. See them here. Do a search for " twin task" is the link does not bring you to the proper page.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I have seen Surefire 6Ps on ebay for about $50 to $55.

I think the Surefire 6P would make a super gift.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Re: I want to give a nice $40-$50 light as a gift.

How about two lights? An Infinity Ultra-G/Dorcy AAA as a small dim light, and a modded Mag 2C/3x123/KPR112/KPR118 as a much brighter one. Better to have both use the same kind of battery though, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Sorry, i can't think of any 1x123/LED light that would satisfy the position of the Ultra.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
6P is a great light. But do we know if the persons who recieves the light wants to pay the high price of lamp assemblies or the go through the trouble of obtaining reasonably priced lithium batteries?

JimM

Newly Enlightened

In that price range, I think the Streamlight TT 2L is hard to beat for the intended use. I carry one in my briefcase every day, and use it often. For pocket or belt carry, I usually have something a little smaller though. The TT 2L gives you solid bang for the buck IMO.
Jim

jhereg

Enlightened

The Twin Task lights are hard to beat in that price range. I would probably go with the TT2L with a dozen batteries or the TT1L with 2 dozen batteries if I wanted to stay in that price range. I have both lights & find myself using the TT1L the most. (IMO)The 1L is better if you have to carry it, but the 2L is a little better for a car light. If you are camping, then I would expect it to be really dark & the 1L would probably be enough light.

Andy

jhereg

Enlightened

As an alternative, you can get a Surefire E1 or E1e. I see them in that price range on Ebay on occasion.If I could only have one EDC light, it would be an E1. It is bright enough to be useful, but not too bright. It also has enough throw to be useful at night.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, he likes to go camping, so maybe focus on that. I recommend the Streamlight TT 3C. Two choices of led settings and a nice main beam...not the brightest but very nice...good run time and cheap batts. Maybe include a coin type single led as well for his key chain or an Arc...but that might go over your limit. Any of the SL TT line would be a good choice. I love my SL TT 2L...but not sure he would like having to order batts over the internet.

Ken

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened

I just picked up an ARC LS off ebay for $50 + shipping. Nice little light. It's not the prettiest, as apparently the guy picked up some bags of different kinds of parts (HA head, different color HA on body, and plain aluminum twisty), but it works fine, and the hi/lo switch works as explained in his description. And for $50, I have a working ARC

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Wave,
If he backpacks or canoes, I recommend the ARC AA. This is a "Best Quality" light. The ARC AA was made because CPF members requested it, and many of us requested it for backpacking and camping. This type of camping doesn't require bright lights. Most camping equipment uses AA batteries and this is why we wanted the ARC AA.
You might consider a AA headlamp also. The Petzl MYO 5, MYO 3, Princeton Tec Yukon HL are all good. I would prefer the MYO 5, but this is higher than your budget. My choice in your price range is the MYO 3. Get the headlamps here
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10698709125192425&sku=PETE27PN
Get the ARC AA here
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10698709125192425&sku=ARCBWSNAT

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd go to the Streamlight TT series for your needs. I do have the TT-3c and have been super happy with it. It is a good general utility light in my opinion with giving you options of both led and incadescent. The 3c goes for $30 @
www.brightguy.com. Greg provides great service! The TT1L goes for $20 and I am not sure what the other ones go for but they would be within your budget. While the SureFire Line is a fine line you will have issues when it is time to change out the LA, they are not cheap. Also, the accessories available for the SureFires will quickly turn that $50 6p into something well over a hundred smackers!

Good luck in your decision!

Dukester

jbroker83

Enlightened

Personally, I'd probably give a PT 40 for around 15 bucks, and pocket the rest for myself! Hah!

Just kidding, although most people could really put the 40 to some good use. For that price, I'd go with a TT 2L--like most other here have said.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

TT-2L

I have both the TT-2L and the TT-3C.

I am not impressed with the 3C. I figure if your gonna carry something that big it better be bright. In the incandescent mode my 2L is brighter than my 3C.

The 2L is small, well made, bright, two different useful power levels. To me it's a gem! Toss in a box of SureFire 123's and your right around $50

GregR

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

TT-2L for all the reasons listed above. Plus batteries and spare bulbs. However, I have not used it in really wet conditions so I don't know how water proof it is. If your friend does a lot of camping in bad weather, this might be something to consider.

From Brightguy:
TT-2L $29.95
Box 12 Sure Fire Batteries $20.00
2 spare xenon bulb pack $5.25
Shipping (approximate) $6.64
Total $61.84

http://www.brightguy.com/

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

TT2L seems really hard to beat.

The other option might be an Inova X5T. In your price range, very sleek packaging.

The Inova is the prettier answer, the TT 2L the more practical.

Wave

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for everyone's help so far! I went with the Streamlight Twin Task 2L in titanium finish and also picked up a Ripoffs Brand Nylon holster for it.

ramptapult

Newly Enlightened

cmg bonfire blaze, for tent of course
inova x5t, bombproof
eternalight X4, multiple settings, floats w/ lithiums
streamlight 4AA 7LED, common battery
Arc LS second
LGI