Lathless and/or Maglite Alternative

KrameE

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!

I've been lurking around for a while and I think it's time for a first post. This forum has a wealth of information. I have seen several builds that look absolutely amazing. In my case, I am looking to make a canister dive light. I want this light to have a tight beam to punch through the much and mire that is the North East.

Due to my inexperience in all things light modding, I have tentatively decided on using a drop-in module ( 5x Cree R2) as seen here http://dx.com/p/5-cree-r2-1200-lumen-white-light-drop-in-led-module-52-7mm-42mm-8-4v-max-35241

My question lies along with my limitations. Most of the builds I've searched for include a modified maglite host, which is great, except for the required machine work. I do not own a lathe, nor do I know anyone who performs lathe work. I do not have anything other than a typical back yard warrior would have. A drill, hammer, dremel, and screw drivers.

Is it possible to make this drop in work without a lathe or serious machine work? I have no problem taking a dremel to the module, but if the tolerances have to be exact, I do not want to waste my money or time.

I also understand that a flashlight is nothing more than a container that produces light. I know I don't need something that "looks" like a flashlight. I purchased "The Dive Light Companion" from airspeed press, and was a little underwhelmed due to the need of a lathe. The author's contribution to "instant dive lights" revolve around a PVC flashlight... which I like the idea of, but after coming across a couple posts by Packhorse, does not seem to be the best idea.

Has anyone had success with a similar drop-in with a maglite without a lathe or serious machine equipment? Has anyone made a custom dive light host out of home improvement store parts? I have searched, perhaps not effectively, with little luck.

Please advise!

Mark

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to make this drop in work without a lathe or serious machine work? I have no problem taking a dremel to the module, but if the tolerances have to be exact, I do not want to waste my money or time.

Welcome to CPF,
There are some drop in methods for mentioned lamp assembly which does not need any machine work or even electrical knowledge.

This is an example.
Just make sure your battery voltage and capablity is right for that particular lamp assembly.
I recommend using pair of protected 18650 with sleeve in 2D M*glite.
Good luck.

Last edited:

KrameE

Newly Enlightened
Either one of those three options would solve many problems, however, do they allow the maglite to maintain it's water tightness? I feel that I will need to upgrade the thickness of the lens to counter the pressure that will be applied at dept.

Thanks