Flying with a light with an agressive strike bezel

wjv

Enlightened
I recently flew to/from Vegas and just took a carry on bag. I brought along my Fenix PD22 which has a strike bezel, but it is not very obvious as the PD22 is rather compact.

I was going to bring my PD32 or my TK15, but went with the PD22 explicitly because it is very compact and the strike bezel is not very noticeable.

I really didn't feel like losing a $70+ flashlight because someone at airport security decides that my TK15 is a weapon because of the strike bezel or because it "qualifies" as a "baton".

So has anyone here ever tried to fly with a flashlight that has an aggressive strike bezel on it or with a larger flashlight such as the the TK15?

Obviously this only applies to having a flashlight in your carry on bag as there is no issue with placing it in checked baggage (except that expensive items can get stolen from checked bags)

Interesting video:

Armytek vs Coconut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uTAWy_7moT4

Last edited:

rgordon

Newly Enlightened
I would also be interested to hear insights on this. I have actually stood in front of my suitcase many times and thought about what to do on this. However, I've always ended up packing enough to check the bag so I've never attempted carry-on. I obviously was able to check my lights with no problems.

marcham

Newly Enlightened
Do you have the stock crenelated bezel or an aftermarket accessory? The stock bezel is not a weapon. It's not particularly sharp either. It's purpose is so that if the light is placed on a table led pointing down, you can tell from the sides if it's been left on.

I fly with my lights, never had a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

koolranch

Newly Enlightened
I've traveled both nationally (USA) and internationally with no issues. If the day something about the bezel remove it and keep the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROB21

Newly Enlightened
Remember no Li-ion batts in your checked bags.

Maybe I broke the rules, but I've taken several domestic flights with more than 5 18650s in my checked bag, and a couple in my carry-on. I guess I'll go read up

Norm

Retired Administrator
Remember no Li-ion batts in your checked bags.

Safety and Security Rules for Batteries

Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries, and spillable wet cell batteries (the kind used in cars and motorcycles), all the batteries types allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be properly packed to prevent damage and short circuiting (terminals are prevented from touching metal). If it is installed in a device, the device should be turned off.

Al_Cohol

Newly Enlightened
Went to Texas not long ago and researched the same topic. A lot of people said their lights got taken because of a strike bezel. Some convinced the people it was just a map reading feature and went on through no problems. I didn't want to lose my Elzetta so I just took a strike bezel-less flashlight and checked my Elzetta in my bag.

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
I just delt with TSA for an international flight 2 weeks ago, spare/unused Lithium battery's of any sort (INCLUDING 1.5v&3v lithium primaries) must be kept in your carry on and any installed batteries in your checked baggage must be renendered inop (such as placing a paper disk under the battery). That goes specifically to flashlights and the like (things with removable batteries) obvisouly you don't have to make a laptop or similar battery inop.

Their reasoning is in case of fire they can do something about it if its in carry on, do they not realize fire extinguishers and water don't put out Lithium fires?

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The only light I still have with a strike bezel is my E2DL, and I leave that home when I fly... I bring two or three lights with me all the time. More for the spare batteries since they must be installed in something. I lock out the heads or tailcaps before packing them.

CMAG

Enlightened
On a domestic flight a few weeks ago. I thought about the bezel issue, then I wondered what trite vials would look like in the X ray anyway left them home also