Wavien collar red mtg2 ??

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am getting a maglite 2d made by Jayrob with a red PT54 and aspheric lens.

Mash.m has inspired me with his black bullet thread to possibly have a go at installing a wavien collar on this unit when it arrives.

Questions;

- which wavien collar sample should I order? Ie what would be the closest to a pt54?
- should you dedome leds when using a collar? I think the answer is no
- does wavien technology even work on red LEDs?

As you can see I don't know a whole lot about the collars but mash.m has been kind enough to explain it and dispell myths that it take an astrophysicist to install.
i promise to share my results!

Cheers

Ps. Sorry about the heading saying mtg2, got my LEDs mixed up

Last edited:

mash.m

Enlightened
It will work on every led wich has some phosphor on top of the die. I can test it with a red sst if you wish.
You can buy the cheapest rlt (will be the xml version). It will work on almost all leds. No problem if the die is bigger or smaller then the xml. You only have to find the right distance to the led.

Markus

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again Markus!
Thats good to know that the XML collar will work for pretty much anything.
Should I keep the dome intact?
I'll let you know how it goes.

mash.m

Enlightened
if you wish the maximum throw then dedome it. but for first tests i would not dedome it.

markus

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
DIWdiver, that's what I was thinking and why I asked in the first place. On the wavien website it say it make red 35% brighter, but I'm not sure if that means the red part of the spectrum in a white led's output or whether it just means a red light emitting led.... Confused.

Also, It turns out pt54's come standard without a dome which is handy.

Markus if you don't mind it would be great if you could test a collar on your red sst.

Thanks again for the feedback guys

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wavien collar reflects light. Red LED emits light. I very much doubt that LEDs are 100% absorptive, but I may be wrong ;-) Happens all the time

mash.m

Enlightened
Hi,

i testet yesterday evening with a red sst90. the collar brights up the die a little bit, but not as doning it ona white led. DIWdiver is right, the red haven´t phosphor so it wonßt work....

markus

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Aww pity!

Thanks for going to the effort Markus, much appreciated. And you saved me $150