LED lights that double as portable USB charger/Convert 18650 to to USB power?

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I wish I could just plug my iphone into my TK35 and have it charge that sucker right up

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The usb power supply i bought was from Fasttech, its still on its way
Ruinovo 102 1A 2*18650 Single USB Mobile Power Pack Battery Charger w/ 2-LED Illumination

They have other brands that do the same job.

there was a kickstarter light posted about last week but it did not have a removable battery.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I really cant find any good lights that have this ability. I would think it would be really popular. Especially for people who are into camping like me.

There are a lot of battery packs on ebay and fasttech has quite a few decent options. And I was actually very close to getting that Ruinovo 102.

If I can't find a good light that can support usb devices, I would at least like to have usb charger/battery holder that had good protective features as far as charging goes.

Please reply back with your feelings about the Ruinovo when you get it... I havent seen any reviews.

Racer

Enlightened

Racer

Enlightened
I really cant find any good lights that have this ability. I would think it would be really popular. Especially for people who are into camping like me.

There are a lot of battery packs on ebay and fasttech has quite a few decent options. And I was actually very close to getting that Ruinovo 102.

If I can't find a good light that can support usb devices, I would at least like to have usb charger/battery holder that had good protective features as far as charging goes.

Please reply back with your feelings about the Ruinovo when you get it... I havent seen any reviews.

Hah, I guess the one I built about a half hour ago is the DIY version of the Ruinovo. I only paid like $14 for it.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1332106

So far I'm very impressed. The build quality is good (the screws are a little cheap though) and it's the only one so far that charges my ZTE engage. My wife has an HTC one and every power pack in the house charges hers. So yeah, I think this is the one I've been looking for, though it's the version without all the LEDs on the side. I'm sure the charging circuit is the same, though.

IMG_6219_zps44cdbdcd.jpg

JeffN

Enlightened
I've been looking for the same thing and have bought several items in the past couple of weeks. I have the Kmashi linked in the first post; it has a decent flashlight and uses 4 mini-LEDs to show charging status and state of charge.

The item I've found that most closely matches what you're looking for is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/39057277767...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 It's picky about the battery length -- non-protected work best and my flat top Sanyo's need a small magnet on the + end. The nice thing is the screw on cap has a plastic ridge around it so there's no way the magnet can make contact with the sides. The cap screws on using a coin -- very handy. This one is machined out of a block of aluminum and could probably withstand being run over. The flashlight module detaches. It also uses 4 mini-LEDs to show status -- when charging they actually blink in sequence.

Finally, these are what I want but cannot find anyone actually selling them. Note the second model collapses by being screwed together to take any size rechargeable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zi3wX00FMI

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the Ruinovo for a little over a day, I like the beam
pattern, haven't tried to charge it yet. Quality feels really good

Racer

Enlightened
I have the version of the Ruinovo without the bank of LEDs and so far it's just outstanding. It feels really upscale with the brushed Aluminum case, and it's one of the few chargers to charge my ZTE smartphone. It's a little heavy though, but it's not a deal breaker.
RuinovoCharger_zps1e47a671.jpg

But the real gem I ran across is this Waka Waka. It's a little pricey, and the capacity is only 2200 mAH, but it has a high efficiency solar panel to charge it, as well as the mini USB input. The lantern portion of it is bright, with a stated run time of 20 hours on high. Currently it's 13 hours into the run time test and going strong. It doesn't charge my ZTE, though it does charge the wife's HTC One and everything else I've tried with it.

wakawaka_zps272bde64.jpg

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Hah, I guess the one I built about a half hour ago is the DIY version of the Ruinovo. I only paid like $14 for it.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1332106

So far I'm very impressed. The build quality is good (the screws are a little cheap though) and it's the only one so far that charges my ZTE engage. My wife has an HTC one and every power pack in the house charges hers. So yeah, I think this is the one I've been looking for, though it's the version without all the LEDs on the side. I'm sure the charging circuit is the same, though.

IMG_6219_zps44cdbdcd.jpg

Whats the deal with this DIY version, just no batteries? Or does it need battery terminals/wiring etc? Thanks.

Racer

Enlightened
Whats the deal with this DIY version, just no batteries? Or does it need battery terminals/wiring etc? Thanks.

Yep, the DIY version is just the unit without batteries included. I had some harvested Sony batteries from a laptop battery, so I wanted to supply my own.

rontaki

Newly Enlightened
I just got one of these Ruinovo (if the maker only knew what that implies...) 4 x 18650 portable battery packs with Panasonic 3400 mAh included, thanks to reading about them here on CPF. I got the model with the leds in it, and found that it makes a great table light. It even has infinite dimming to a fairly low state. I'm curious as to how long it would last with a full charge on the dimmest setting without any other loads. Many nights, I suspect!
Also appreciated is the power switch, a small push switch that is less likely to get bumped while packed away, than the rocker switches proudly mounted on some models.

So far I am pleased as can be, albeit with some gripes, later on that.

I bought the Ruinovo to power my smartphone and Soundmatters Foxl portable speakers for extended listening times away from power. Foxl speakers can put some amazing clean, clear sound out for their small size. They do like power to sound their best. Check 'em out...

In the two sessions I've had so far, after hours of listening with the volume up enough to disturb the campers nearby (had there been any), the Ruinovo's batteries still had most of their charge.

Now the gripes -
1) Somehow there seems to be a ground loop when I have both phone and speakers connected to the Ruinovo for power, and the phone's audio out connected to the speakers. Buzz and clicky noise ensue, worse when the phone display is on. If I disconnect either device from the Ruinovo, the noise is gone. I don't really know if the Ruinovo is the cause of this, but it doesn't happen when both devices are running off of a twin-output AC adapter
Until I find a fix for this, I can let the phone run on battery power while listening, and if the situation requires, make sure there is enough power in the charger to top the phone off when finished listening.

2) The four unprotected batteries are in parallel and the positive terminals connect to a small board, which is connected by a wire to the head end. At the head end, the negative terminals are connected all together by a common trace. What I see as a potential disaster is where the positive wire passes over the negative common trace with only the wire's insulation to prevent a full-on short circuit. Because this spot is at the end of the wire, if the insulation were to pull back due to shrinkage or otherwise fail, kablooey!:poof:

I plan to take mine apart before too long, and remedy the situation with some real insulation - heat shrink or Kapton tape.

Gripe #2 is the only thing that would make me hesitate to recommend this to someone looking for the most portable USB power in a small package. Because it needs disassembly to install the batteries, that would be the time to put some reliable insulation at that spot.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm charging my ruinovo now with its interior charger now. Plugging it in, I could feel the spring flex (my cumbersome club like hands push to hard) I think it'll be a decent battery backup for my phone, I wouldn't call it high end. It's worth what I paid for it and I hope the two cell version I have charges the batteries evenly. Even though extra screws came with it, I wouldn't want to have to take it apart every time I charge it.
I will probably get a protective case for it to increase the life of my ruinovo.

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
The Jetbeam SSR50 is the only serious flashlight that I know of that currently has this feature. USB ports are ubiquitous, so it would certainly be a good idea for flashlights to support them. Already some flashlights accept micro USB as input for charging, and the SSR50 provides USB as output. Hopefully, in the future flashlights will incorporate more value added features like this. In the meantime, you can consider alternative products. For instance, you can use a regular external battery pack with non-replaceable batteries and attach an XTAR UL1 when you need light output. Also, the XTAR VP2 charger can double as a battery pack: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?378397-XTAR-CES-2014-VP2-charger