What are the older maglites (3D cell) made of?

Crazyengineer

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I've lurked on here a while, and finally got a question I couldn't find (i did search).

I own three 3D maglites, 2 of them are fairly new, but one has been in my family a while (I rescued it from my moms car by replacing it). Every time I use it, I can help wonder if it is a different material than the others that I have. There is some of the camouflage print wearing off the new one exposing what looks to me like brass. The older one also feels really over built as well (compared to my new ones).

Anyone have any ideas?

Here is a picture, along with the Fenix PD32 that I carry everywhere, and my 4$ 3D mag that I got last weekend (bezel was swapped with one not pictured).

ma4aja3e.jpg

In a side note, my 4$ mag was corroded to crap and I just got it working...I think it's begging to be an LED project following a mod here (I like high lumens lol)

Also, anyone know what the age of the camo maglite would be?

Here is the serial if that will help.

e7e8uqet.jpg

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome:

Your first image is oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

Crazyengineer

Newly Enlightened
Think I fixed it, I can try again if it didn't go through (working from a phone)

And also. Hi from Bristol, tn

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I always like it when somebody handles an old flashlight with care because it has a emotional value for them ;). I have a green MiniMag I bought when I was a small kid and ill never let this one go.

To your initial question. I never heard that they used other materials than aluminium. I think it's just the way it looks after a lot of usage ;).

rayman

tjhabak

Enlightened
The older C and D Mags had a slightly larger diameter on the battery tubes. I love the feel of them. These don't have a letter as the first character in the serial #. Also, the bezel doesn't have the ram's head logo on it. You can really feel the difference in your hand. The first light I ever bought was a 3D out of the Gall's catalog. I was 12 years old, and I still have it. It's one I'll never get rid of. Now it's got a Malkoff XML drop-in with an aluminum orange peel reflector. You can still find halfway decent ones on Ebay sometimes. Right now, Wayne from Elektrolumens is fitting an old pre-D 3 cell with an SST90 direct drive mod for me. I can't wait to check that one out when I get it back.....hopefully early next week!:D

Crazyengineer

Newly Enlightened
I can definitely feel the difference in diameters when holding the old and new ones, I can also feel a significant weight difference too. I'm debating running the blue Maglite in the picture through a bead blaster then buffing it to a high polish...because I can.

Does anyone know where I could find another of the old style camo maglites? I know eBay, but don't know any other sources. I'd like to find another one because I don't want to change mine. I grabbed it because I didn't want that one disappearing. There are a couple entertaining stories behind that light, including one about losing it in a camo boat while duck hunting :)