Does anyone find it offensive that Johnny Depp is playing Tanto in Lone Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember way back in like the 30's, when Hollywood needed someone to portray an African American, they would often hire a white guy and put him in black face paint, which has been considered offensive for a long time. Not only that, but back in the 40's and 50's, they would hire white guys to play American Indian roles, by giving them wigs and putting them out in the sun to get tans. These examples have been considered offensive, even racist considering there are plenty of genuine black folks and native Americans who would be ready willing and able to play these roles.

Last week I went and saw Iron Man 3, and I was watching the movie previews, and they advertised this new Lone Ranger movie. Then they pointed out that Johnny Depp is playing the role of Tanto... Really? Couldnt they make an Edward Scissorhands part 2 for him to play in instead? Or some other role where he puts on excessive freaky makeup....

It just seems to me we are beyond hiring white guys to play the roles of minorities, since there are American Indian actors who would probably do just as good a job(or better). This is a case of Hollywood choosing the almighty dollar over common respect for American Indian culture, because they figure they can make more money with a big star like Depp playing the role, instead of an actual Indian....Although they could have just hired a big star to play the Lone Ranger instead....Problem solved!

Lets prove them wrong by not going to see it......

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.