Received E2L AA Outdoorsman today.

Suuko

Newly Enlightened
It has the older, single style pocket clip... not the 2-way like the E2L/E1L.
Is this something exclusive only to the AA version? Surefire's website show's the older pocket clip in the pictures but description of the pocket clip reads like all the 2-way clips.

"Steel clip provides multiple carry options"

Anyone else with a 2013 model E2L AA want to chime in?

tonkem

Enlightened
I don't have the new one, but the manual shows the one way clip, versus the e1l and e2l showing the 2 way clips. You might call surefire..

It has the older, single style pocket clip... not the 2-way like the E2L/E1L.
Is this something exclusive only to the AA version? Surefire's website show's the older pocket clip in the pictures but description of the pocket clip reads like all the 2-way clips.

"Steel clip provides multiple carry options"

Anyone else with a 2013 model E2L AA want to chime in?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure the body is too long to make having the two-way clip kind of impractical to have. You wouldn't want the tail to be sticking so far out of your pocket would you?

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Suuko,

If your reference to the 2013 model, means you got the 5 lumen low, 115 lumen high E2L-AA, would you be so kind as to report the run-times on those levels, (if you've tested)?

I know Surefire's run-time claim, but I like hearing customers experience.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

FaithinGod

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L-AA is a great light. I have the 80 lumens version, and when I have the chance I'll get a 115lumens version soon. I love solid 2xAA lights, and the E2L-AA is one of this solid and reliable lights for me.

But since Surefire Released the E1B, E2DLU, Outdoorsman series, it is time for a complete collection of filters IMO.

Suuko

Newly Enlightened
Suuko,

If your reference to the 2013 model, means you got the 5 lumen low, 115 lumen high E2L-AA, would you be so kind as to report the run-times on those levels, (if you've tested)?

I know Surefire's run-time claim, but I like hearing customers experience.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

FaithinGod

Ive never tested a lights runtimes so I wouldn't know where to start.

I bought it on B&H for those wondering.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
If anyone has both models, the older E2L-AA rated at 3 lumen low with 80 lumen high, and the new model E2L-AA rated at 5 lumen low with 115 lumen high, would you post if you see the low of the 5 lumen model is actually higher than the low of the 3 lumen model, and if so can estimate by how much?

I know that according to lumen levels and light reception in the eye, that it may not be easy to tell, but if you can tell, please do.

Thanks in advance.

FaithinGod

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the one I had, the old 3 lumen mode was brighter than the new 5 lumen mode. But, YMMV.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Brasso.

That's surprising. I was hoping it would be a clear difference.

One member, (sorry, I don't recall who), mentioned comparing his E2L-AA 3 lumen low to an HDS systems light, and saw the 3 lumen was actually closer to the 8 or 9 lumens that the HDS was able to put out.

If Surefire is more accurately rating their lumen outputs, that may explain a 5 lumen low being lower than the 3 lumen low.
Or, it's possible bin variations of the LED's may be at play, causing the same effect.

FaithinGod

Last edited:

dlee96

Newly Enlightened
I picked up one of the new "115lumen" Surefire E2l-AA from B&H. In my friend's homemade integrating sphere, high mode clocks in at 145-150lm and low is actually about 5 lumens. Absolutely not a thorough test.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Thanks dlee96, that's helpful to know.

I'm wondering if those lumen levels will be close to the same for all the new E2L-AA's.

FaithinGod

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I'm so itching to buy one as an update to my old E2L-AA. I'm just debating on whether its worth it or not.

Will my e-series filters still fit the bezel?

dlee96

Newly Enlightened
I tried mashing an F04 diffuser onto there - no go. You may get it on there, but you'll likely tear it. The new head has a 1.1 inch diameter whereas the e-series filters are designed for a 1 inch head.

In my opinion, the light would be near perfect with a diffuser. A low diffuse light for close work and pop off the diffuser for throw.

I'm so itching to buy one as an update to my old E2L-AA. I'm just debating on whether its worth it or not.

Will my e-series filters still fit the bezel?