First Mod : Arc LS + R3J + LP-Fraen @ 650 mA PICS

Miciobigio

Enlightened
This is my first mod, it is a simple-and-dirty mod inspired by other users of this wonderful forum !
I used only a little screwdriver (to remove the Artic-alumina ? ) for take apart my ARC LSHP then i added a LP_Fraen , i desolder the original led ( i think that it was a P3 ) and solder the super white R3J , then i solder another resistance in parallel with the R15 to double the current across the led, reassembled the whole thing and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif my luxmeter measured 980 Lux at 1 meter (more than double the original configuration).
I know that i can have some thermic problem but i use this light only for short time, the current draw is 950mA not to bad since the current draw of the SF-L1 is 900mA.

This is one simple mod but i am really happy with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Now i can swap the optics ( LP-Fraen , NX-05, MC_Flood ), change the led ( Lux III ? ) and regulate the current in the led , and the ARC-LS is a perfect host .
Thanks to all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

scrape,scrape,scrape.....
fc30af7e.jpg

30 min later ........
fa75e9bd.jpg

fa8376a4.jpg

fa8376a2.jpg

fa8376a1.jpg

fa75e9e1.jpg

fa75e93c.jpg

and this is MC-L4 BB600 R2H on the left and my mod on the right.
fa75d3fd.jpg

G Pilot

Enlightened
That is exactly what I was looking for to do my Arc, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif What resistor did you use? Will this work with the stock Arc Luxeon?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very slick, Miciobigio ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC

Dan C

Enlightened
Nice! CM is just did an Arc board for me with a Lux III at 667 mA. I'll try both an NX05 and a Fraen in it, see which one suits me better....

Dan C

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm... I'm an Arc LS neophyte, but how is the heat sinking on the Arc board? At 650ma will the heat travel away from the emitter fast enough?

Jon

Miciobigio

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
G Pilot said:
That is exactly what I was looking for to do my Arc, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif What resistor did you use? Will this work with the stock Arc Luxeon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used 2 0.33 ohm resistor in parallel, soldered using the 2 free pads near the R15.
And yes, if you have a good bin in your Arc you do not have to change it.

Ciao

Miciobigio

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
hmmm... I'm an Arc LS neophyte, but how is the heat sinking on the Arc board? At 650ma will the heat travel away from the emitter fast enough?

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, i think that the problem in this mod will be heat ! For this reason this is a "dirty mod" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that picture of the light firing statight up--looks like a white flame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Heat sinking seems to be okay. Could be better, but the board has the integral sink that goes along the ring and collet that ride along the body.

-Jason

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow, nice mod Micio! But I did not know an Arc's board could put out nearly a full amp by simply altering the resistance...?

Miciobigio

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
How do you remove the silver retaining ring in pic #2?

[/ QUOTE ]

After cleaning the ring and the inside of the head ( scraping off all the silver s**t with a small flat screwdriver ) i used the pliers that you can see in pic 4 to twist the ring.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Wow, nice mod Micio! But I did not know an Arc's board could put out nearly a full amp by simply altering the resistance...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, but i only copied the mods of others CPF users !
If you half the "sense resistor" R15 you should double the current to the led from 330 to 660 mA circa.
I have not measured the current trough the led but i measured the current draw (of the full flashlight) from my bench power supply and is 950-970 mA circa at 3V.

Ciao

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Nice work, indeed...

I also modded my Arc LS (LSL-P) in close fashion, but didn't swap out the LED - may have to do that next. I was fortunate to receive a lot of help from the postings and replies of Flash and CM when it came to modding the stock 0.15 ohm resistor. I simply stacked three low-value resistors (1.0 ohms) on top of the existing R15 - at best, I should be pushing close to or just below 500mA.

Hmmmmm... perhaps I should've hit up Mr. Bulk for a Fraen optic for a little more modding on that Arc.... although, I suspect I would have to have a high dome LED to make proper use of the Fraen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

In regards to the retaining ring, however, like Flash and others, my Arc had the Loc-tite adhesive as opposed to the AA - so a Dremel tool was the only way to get that little bugger out of there! A local hardware store was able to cough up a matching retention ring.

Thanks for posting the photos Marco... if you ever consider swapping out the Lexan lens of the Arc, Chris from Flashlightlens.com has the size already for a Schott B270 glass lens.

-Jim

Miciobigio

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PieThatCorner said:
Nice work, indeed...

... CUT ....

In regards to the retaining ring, however, like Flash and others, my Arc had the Loc-tite adhesive as opposed to the AA - so a Dremel tool was the only way to get that little bugger out of there! A local hardware store was able to cough up a matching retention ring.

Thanks for posting the photos Marco... if you ever consider swapping out the Lexan lens of the Arc, Chris from Flashlightlens.com has the size already for a Schott B270 glass lens.

-Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jim,

my ARC LSHP had no loctite inside , i was lucky.
Thanks for your information on the Lexan lens ,
i never known that Flashlightlens.com has the
right size replacement !!! this is a usefull
information, thanks.

z3r0

Newly Enlightened
The arc circuit can supply a pretty good amount of power to the led. CM did a mod for me. Its an arc lshs with fraen lp, R2K and 1000mA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Heat isn't all that much of a problem, and i find myself frequently using a twisty pack... at least until i get some more high capacity nimh AA...