Flashlight Christmas Gift to woman, make u a jerk?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone-

I was just listening to the radio (KGO, San Francisco area) and the topic was the stupidest gifts ever given.

A woman calls in and I wasn't quite listening until the word "flashlight" comes up. This woman said a flashlight had been given as a Christmas gift and how stupid it was. She relates about a woman friend, after this friend and her partner had said "no gifts", he gives her a flashlight. The woman was complaining, who on earth gives a flashlight as a gift? She went on to say this jerk was so proud of hiimself since, he remembered she had made a comment on how cute that flashlight was.

OK, so who here admits to being a jerk or ******* and giving a flashlight as a gift?

Is this a Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus thing?

GregR

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlight Christmas to woman, make you a *******?

haha, if it were@all questionable in my mind wether or not the woman would want a flashlight, i would definitely steer clear of giving one as a gift. *lol*

i had this convo with my X b4.. the fact is, any woman can find uses for a flashlight, hell, they might even need one but be oblivious to it.. the catch is, there are 5,000 other things they would *rather* have.

we can't all find a Sasha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif tho i know alotta members have partners who appreciate flashlights more than others.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

blinded---

I acknowledge your point, maybe I'm just blinded by the fact that my ex would often claim my flashlights as hers. I guess the operant word here is "gift". Perhaps if the gent had given her a new diamond ring slipped over an new ARC-AA in a gift box....

Now that's my idea of being romantic! Ok I'm not quite THAT dense, but hey I'm a guy.

GregR

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't give it as a gift, but my wife grabbed the G2 out of my hands before it was fully out of the box! She now has the GM E2 from my review tucked in her purse to boot!

They may not be appropriate as a gift, but that doesn't mean the the lady doesn't want one either.

I wonder if the girl that called in to the radio station is an X of one of our members! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AlphaTea

Enlightened

Gee, should I rethink the E1E and E2E WineLight set I got my wife for Christmas.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif
Maybe I'll wrap 'em up, put my name on them, and say they are from the Cats and the Dog.
I dont want to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif on the sofa! However, I do like the idea of putting them in a box with another "sparkly" present.

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Gee, should I rethink the E1E and E2E WineLight set I got my wife for Christmas...

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOOOOOOOOO... I need to get my husband to read this thread!!! ME!! ME!!! OOO!! OOO!! ME!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlight Christmas to woman, make you a jack

Whatever happended to ... "It's the thought that counts."

Mike

bodo

Newly Enlightened

I am seriously considering giving few flashlights as Christmas presents to my friends. Women are among them. When I modified Minimag 2AA with 1W LS I was immediately asked by my friend if she can have one too.

Bodo

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I told this story before, a year or two ago. Packaging can mean a lot when giving a gift to a woman. Back when the E series lights came in boxes with nice foam inserts with cutouts to hold the light and the batteries, I gave an E2 to a girl friend of mine. She liked the looks of it so much that she put the light in the opened foam container in her knick knack case containing expensive crystal amongst other things. I don't think the light has ever been activated! This year I too am going to give a winelight to a girlfriend of mine. I would rather give an Arc LSL which for $65 is a great deal. Certainly it's what I'd rather receive but I'm sure Surefire will have the light in a nice box as opposed to the ziploc bag the Arc comes in and that will make all the difference.

Empath

Flashaholic

Geepondy, there would probably be a gift shop or some store in your area that sells beautiful gift boxes with cushion filler pads that would accent you gift very well.

Here, we have a store that specializes in paper products of all types. That's probably where I'd look first. Next I'd check party stores or craft shops. You are right; the package and your presentation tells as much of the importance of the event as does the gift itself.

Saaby

Flashaholic

I think, as with any other gift, quality might have a little something to do with all of it. Sure it's the thought that counts, but would you rather receive an Arc AAA or a Mag Solitaire? Surefire L4 or Eveready industrial plastic 2D Light...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Empath, I agree with your statements. I should have added, I consider the winelights to look much more aesthetically pleasing then the current Arc LS. Although functionally I suppose it works fine, I find the big bulbous switch of the Arc LS to significantly deter from the overall looks of compactness and smoothness of the light. It has made me hesitant to give it as a gift to certain people. I wish they had incorportated a nice compact button switch like the Z57 clickie.

Greta

Flashaholic

Just remember that when it comes to giving flashlights to women, as long as it's pretty and matches the shoes and/or purse, you're good to go. You guys think I'm kidding? Not in the least bit... think about it.

Honey... the winelights would go beautifully with my new burgandy dress... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that your relationship with "THE WOMAN" is the main factor in determining what makes a good gift. As a "sole" gift, it can be a bit tricky - but as one of several gifts, I have had pretty good luck.

(The trick is to not let "the womman" find out that "the flashlight" is the most expensive of the gifts.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. Best to steer clear of anything that resembles a flicklight...

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow maybe "I" should get the E2e Winelight, it matches my companies color of burgundy (and grey).

GregR

K-T

*Moderator*

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Just remember that when it comes to giving flashlights to women, as long as it's pretty and matches the shoes and/or purse, you're good to go. You guys think I'm kidding? Not in the least bit... think about it.

Honey... the winelights would go beautifully with my new burgandy dress... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was going to say - thanks, Sasha. It just depends on what kind of flashlight you give as a gift - the crappy large 4D plastic flashlight won't do it. It should be some more feminine, colorful version and they will appreciate it for sure. But then I would make sure to have something else (prefereably non-flashlight content) to go with that flashlight present. I have given a flashlight "to my other half" before and it was a success. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif it just depends on how you do it. The secret words are colors, colors, colors! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

Here's just another little case in point... a few years ago, my daughter's boyfriend wanted to give her a box of ammo for her pistol so that they could go out shooting together. Now a box of ammo on Valentine's Day is just really, really, really not a good idea... but with a dozen red roses... AHA!! ... The message is, "Honey, I love you... and I trust you" (not to use these on me)... get the point? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif