Nitecore SRT6

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I only learned of this light's existence a few days ago and it instantly grabbed my attention. To me, the SRT6/SRT7 output level and ring-type user interface were reminiscent of the Surefire UB3T, a light I previously owned and loved, but sold. The large size of the UB3T prevented it from being pocketable, and if I can't fit a light in my pocket, I'll rarely have access to it and therefore rarely use it.

Could the SRT6 fill the same role for me, but in a pocketable package? I had to know the answer and immediately ordered it, and I proceeded to pour over Selfbuilt's review of the SRT7 for 2 days in delicious anticipation of the SRT6. I only excluded the SRT7 from consideration because I don't need the multi-color capability.

I received my Nitecore SRT6 today and I took it out for its initial trial with 2xCR123 in a basic nighttime walk around the neighborhood. I am not disappointed. Quality feel, dead simple user interface, great beam with plenty of throw and decent spill, no tint and BRIGHT. I no longer have possession of the UB3T so I can't do a direct comparison, but by my recollection the UB3T had longer throw due to its tightly focused hotspot. It was so tight, I searched for the out-of-production FM24 diffuser and bought one to accompany the light out of necessity. The SRT6 is a mixture of throw and spill; no diffuser is required but it therefore doesn't have the long distance laser beam hotspot of the Surefire. It still illuminated a treeline 200 yards away, which is adequate for my purposes.

I'm not qualified to comment on the technical differences between the two lights (TIR/fresnel vs reflector, 3 vs 2 cells, LED types, etc) and how they impact performance (runtimes, throw, output profiles, etc). However, the SRT6 provides me with the functionality I sought in the UB3T (throwy, high output, versatile settings, easy UI) but in a significantly scaled down package (2xCR123, 34 mm head, shorter length) that I can easily fit in my pocket.

I was excited about the specs on paper, and now that it's in my hand I'm even more psyched to use it. I may finally have a reason to graduate from primary cells to lithium ion. Hopefully this light will turn out to be a reliable, durable product I can depend on for years to come, and hopefully this will be a product line with longevity that evolves with even better emitter technology in coming years.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Newly Enlightened
Hi John. Just like you I had a chance to try out the SRT7. I like it a lot, but I don't need those 3 extra coloured leds. I've been kind of hankering after the SRT6 and, after reading your post, I think I'll go ahead and order it :). It's a little expensive, but what the heck, my birthday's right 'round the corner. Cheers !

pchapman86

Newly Enlightened
I love my SRT7 - I actually end up using the led's a lot for signalling to people (it's festival season after all) and I appreciate the larger reflector.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the Nitecore SRT6 in, still waiting for the $45 SRT7 :faint:

Love it! Great beam and functions. Nice spill vs throw ratio in a small package. The ring control is easy to memorize by location and gives versatile control although not 100% tactical. Use of tail switch or ring to control light is very good. Have to shoot some beamshots of SRT6 vs SRT7 when it arrives tomorrow... Few Pics.

$109 for all of this from Amazon. SRT6 + 2600 mah 18650 + 2 x cr123 + I2 Charger + Car Charger Plug + CaraBeamer led light.

SRT6 vs Surefire U2 (old one with RPM tailcap) Multiples of brightness for the newer light!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice RPM cap on that U2!

Having used the SRT-6 for a couple of weeks now, I think I'm still partial to the SRT7. I decided to review it along side of the SRT3 but definitely think it has a place as an LE light. Funny I say that because it's the SRT7 that has the red and blue lights. I just think it's a bit too mode busy for most LE guys whereas the SRT6 is simplified.

AmperSand

Enlightened
I've noticed some strange behavior with my SRT6.
If I engage strobe mode, and I rotate the light itself 360degrees (without touching the selector ring obviously) Strobe mode cuts out and is constant on with flickers at one and only one orientation point.
It can be replicated every time I do it.
Also the same with the lowest low mode. When you set that, you can rotate the light the same, it cuts out at all points and will only light up at the rotation point strobe has an issue with.

Just wondering if its only my sample or if they all do the same thing. I thought my sample was busted when I first got it and strobe wouldn't engage, was playing later and it worked fine. I then noticed when I rotated the light as described this would happen.
Also wondering if this issue is not unique to my sample, if any of the other SRT models exhibit the same behavior.

AbnInfantry

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering if its only my sample or if they all do the same thing.

I just checked my SRT6s and SRT7s. There's no such problem with any of them on strobe, lowest low, or any other mode setting, no matter how I rotate the flashlights.

pyykola

Newly Enlightened
Got my SRT7 today. I was wondering is it normal that when not on the full brightness light takes about 0.5 second to get to the right level. When on the full brightness light is instant on maximum level.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Yes, the SRT series lights "ramp up" to the brightness level. In Selfbuilt's review of the SRT7, he mentions this behavior and states that its easier on the batteries (though I lack the knowledge to understand exactly why). I can guess that there is no ramping behavior on max so that maximum brightness can be achieved instantly without waiting that half-second.

Last edited:

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
I wonder why there is not much talk of the srt6 and still no review. To me this light is the most interesting out of the srt series since it lacks the funky colored leds and blinking modes.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Got my SRT7 today. I was wondering is it normal that when not on the full brightness light takes about 0.5 second to get to the right level. When on the full brightness light is instant on maximum level.

Yes, the SRT series lights "ramp up" to the brightness level.

Thanks for pointing this out: that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me. It's a shame that so many new lights do this . . . :(

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Thanks for pointing this out: that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me. It's a shame that so many new lights do this . . . :(

Dealbreaker? It ramps up so quickly it's just barely noticeable. I'm not saying you should buy one, but it really is so minor that I don't see how one could reasonably be troubled by that.

r-ice

Newly Enlightened
well I got one, and while its a great light, I still think the maelstrom g5 is the bee's knees

Jz714

Newly Enlightened
Just order one few days ago, i was gona order srt7 but i didnt like the colour led, guess i would never get a chance to use them.

cire0309

Newly Enlightened
Just order one few days ago, i was gona order srt7 but i didnt like the colour led, guess i would never get a chance to use them.

I got the SRT7 because of the tighter hotspot and the longer throw. If that makes a difference to you.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
...I may finally have a reason to graduate from primary cells to lithium ion...

Just an update to my original post. I'm still loving the SRT6 and it was, in fact, the gateway drug for me to go with lithium ion cells. The SRT6 led to the purchase of five Eagletac 18650 cells and a number of other compatible lights: Eagletac G25C2 MkII, Nitecore SRT5, Nitecore SRT7 (Amazon $45 special, since sold), Eagletac D25LC2 (since sold) and XTAR WK35 (inbound).

I had let a fear of lithium ions discourage me from such lights but now I'm loving this new class of awesome lights. The SRT6 is still near the top of the pile for me and it was quite a comfort to have on hand for a minor tropical storm in Puerto Rico that knocked out our power for 12 hours.

Confederate

Enlightened
I just ordered an SRT7 and I chose it because I like the colored lights. If I ever get in trouble, flashing red and blue lights may spook some elements. Also, I like flashing colored lights. If it had red, blue, yellow and green flashing lights, I wouldn't need to get a Christmas tree.

For critical long term use, I'm not sure I'd trust the rotating switch as much as toggle or incremental switches. The SRT7 also is a bit big for frequent carry. My everyday light is a Klarus XT2C and it offers great output at very nice runtimes. But I think my next EDC light might be a Nitecore SRT3. I just want to see a review first.

vWings

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the SRT6 and am having buyers remorse over the SRT7. I actually could have a use for the colored LEDs but at the same time I have another light for that. :duh2: Still have time to cancel my order - What to do, what to do.

vWings

Newly Enlightened
Cargo Pants - Yea / Bluejeans will be tight for sure.

I have been stuck trying to decide between the SRT6 and 7. I just came to the conclusion that I would be happy with the 6 for great white light and also go with the SRT3 for a pocket light with the bonus of a colored LED.