Made in Japan Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frijid

Enlightened
Today i took the front tires off my truck to grease the front end. after putting the tires back on i was cleaning the socket off and i seen on the side of it, it said JAPAN on the side of it. This made me curious, as i hadn't noticed that before. so i went through my toolbox and found out i had several japan made sockets and 2 wrenches. So here's my question to you, what around your house do you own that was made in japan? let's not include batteries cause everyone here owns eneloops! and nothing like toyota, which is a japanese company but most are made in the usa. In order to count it must say made in japan or just japan on it. I'll go ahead and publish this, then i'll come back and list everything i have.

Fulaeetoy

Newly Enlightened
I have many minidisc here that is made in japan and MD recorder as well.

Update: 14/07/13

Here's what i found out in our house that is made in japan and still working.

DENON Receiver
Pioneer Silver receiver (very old one)
Pioneer Black receiver and front Left and Right speakers
2 Futaba Transmitter analog and digital for RC planes and Cars
3 sets of Futaba Helis (all parts including engines are japan)
4 sets of Pilot and RC Planes (all parts including engines are japan)
Mini 4wd Lap timer
Tamiya Race track
Tamiya spray paints and brushes
Canon ixus and Panasonic cameras
3 sets of mini tamiya 4wd (all parts including motors are japan)
Sony Tape recorder
Casio G-shock digital watch
Doraemon stuff toy
PSP Chotto shot UMD Disk
2 sets Tamiya Lexus and Mercedes model cars

That's all for now. Gonna find more.

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have quite a few things made in Japan. When I'm buying something and it's made in Japan, that usually weights a lot in my final decision whether I will buy it or not

Frijid

Enlightened
Ok, here's my list

as noted in the opening, some tools
The spark plugs in my generator, weedeater, lawnmower all have japanese spark plugs. my truck has brazilian made spark plugs in them, that are about on their last leg. so when i switch em out, i'll put some japanese made spark plugs
My weed eater
A few blank VCR tapes
A few decorative dishes
The speakers for my record player
a boombox from the 80's
an old battery powered cassette player recorder from the 70's
an old transistor AM only radio from the 60's
Some dishes, spoons,forks, and kitchen knives
A pocket knife
a few hachimaki head bands
a desklamp

i'll update anymore if i can think of it.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
My wife. Born at an American base in Tokyo a few years after WWII :)

Most of my tools from the 70s and 80s were made in Japan. So were most of my electronics made in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Daniel

StarHalo

Flashaholic
As a general rule, only top-shelf electronic equipment is made in Japan, usually because it predates when most electronics were made in South Asia and therefore comes from the era when Japan still had their most stringent quality control. Hold on to those made in Japan radios, those are classics..

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if my recent vintage Nikon camera and lenses were made in Japan? I haven't looked at them in detail to find out.
My older Japanese bike parts were, such as the nice SunTour stuff, but the modern Shimano stuff?? Can I assume the components are made elsewhere?

The whole subject of "made in *" is tricky. In the world of earthmoving equipment electronics, we buy parts from American companies who design the stuff here, have circuit boards made in China, and then have the device assembled in Mexico. The integrated circuits on the circuit board might be designed by Texas Instruments but fab'ed overseas somewhere. So where was the device "made"?? Beats me.

BTW, I miss the days when I could design electronics and walk 100 yards to the production line where it was being built. It certainly was easier to address quality or production issues!

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I love "Made in Japan" stuff. My Volk Racing wheels on my Honda are "Made in Japan" and I religiously only use Pilot G2 pens which are also from the land of the rising son.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole subject of "made in" is extremely tricky. A lot of the manufacturing equipment used in China is made in Japan and Germany.

My wife was also "made in" Japan, my son was "made in" HK and my daughter was "made in" the good old USA. They're all quality goods.

My denim jeans were "made in" Japan.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If it says Made in Japan, I feel lucky;
because 99% of everything else is made in China and they have literally no quality control or pride in their work.

I got a pair of binoculars last Winter that are truly made in Japan, they could not have been made any better.

loquutis79

Enlightened
My Nakaya fountain pens
Sailor fountain pens
Mcusta pocket knives (Seki Japan)
My bonsai trees (ok not really, but very Japanese)
Ukiyo-e art
Favorite imported records Japanese imports
tea imported from Uji Japan
cast iron tea pots
tea cups and saucers
looking for some top shelf flashlights from Japan- any suggestions?

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm old enough to remember the late 1950s and early sixties when Japanese goods were synonymous with garbage, equivalent to the worst quality products coming out of China. (with the exception of Nikon cameras, textiles and ceramics) Little by little over the years they got their act together and beginning in the seventies Japan set itself on the path of transforming into one of the highest quality manufacturing economies in the world in almost every field. A similar phenomenon occurred in Korea and Taiwan and we are now witnessing this in other parts of Asia and South Asia. The time may come when goods from China have a reputation for high quality as well, assuming they can overcome the many unique challenges they face.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if my recent vintage Nikon camera and lenses were made in Japan? I haven't looked at them in detail to find out.

In all likelihood your Nikon camera was indeed manufactured in Japan. (depending on your model, of course) They do outsource some manufacturing to Thailand, China and Indonesia especially some lower end consumer models and some of their lenses but for the most part they prefer to produce their higher end stuff (all the FX models, for example) within Japan where they can control quality and have a dedicated well trained workforce. Some of their DSLR plants were temporarily shut or disrupted (especially, Sendai, of course) due to the earthquake and tsunami.

Here is a list of some of their Japanese factories and subsidiaries.

Mito Plant, Nikon Corporation : Mito,Ibaraki Pref.
Sendai Nikon Corporation : Natori, Miyagi Pref.
Miyagi Nikon Precision Co., Ltd. : Zao-machi, Katta-gun, Miyagi Pref.
Zao factory, Nikon-Trimble Co., Ltd. : Zao-machi, Katta-gun, Miyagi Pref.
Tochigi Nikon Corporation : Otawara, Tochigi Pref.
Tochigi Nikon Precision Co., Ltd. : Otawara, Tochigi Pref.
Kurobane Nikon Co., Ltd. : Otawara, Tochigi Pref.
Nasu Nikon Co., Ltd. : Nasukarasuyama, Tochigi Pref.

Last edited:

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Lots of handtools and the blades on my Spyderco delica and dragonfly and Fällkniven S1
also a Datsun 120Y (Sunny B210) from 1977 that we just bought :party: For some reason even the registration papers say specifically that its made in Japan.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Lots of handtools and the blades on my Spyderco delica and dragonfly and Fällkniven S1
also a Datsun 120Y (Sunny B210) from 1977 that we just bought :party: For some reason even the registration papers say specifically that its made in Japan.

Maybe that's if the car is to be exported/ legal stuff...(I work in export logistics, and sometimes Country of origin is required for customs clearance)

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
made in japan.. tons of stuff..basically i never throw anything away so lot of stuff is bound to be japanese and decades old hahah.

top of my head and in my line of sight at the moment or have used it today: makita and hitatchi electric tools, spyderco knives and some cooking knives and utensils.. lots of old home and car electronics from past: akai, hitatchi, sony, kenwood, alpine, pioneer etc.. cameras,computer stuff and clocks like: casio, canon, fujitsu, fujifilm, seiko.

Frijid

Enlightened
Hold on to those made in Japan radios, those are classics..

I looked up the one from the 60's on ebay, and they sell for around 50 bucks on there. Like i mentioned, it's AM only, and it picks up really good. i ran into some OLD german made short wave radios about 3 months ago at a second hand store. it worked, but a few tubes were blown.

Status
Not open for further replies.