APPLE: Security Notice

Tomas

Banned
A notice has been publicly released by an independent person prior to release of a fix by Apple detailing a potential security problem in current OS X versions.

Simple 'workarounds' are provided, but it is not normal practice (and severely frowned upon) to release this sort of information prior to the release of a patch or fix from the manufacturer, when the manufacturer has acknowledged the issue and is working on it with a scheduled release. (Apple intends a security update for this in December.)

Bill Carrel set his own date that Apple "had to have the fix released by" or he would go public. His date was 26NOV2003. I have a word for Bill, but am not allowed to use it here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Here's a link to the notice: carrel.org: dhcp vulnerability

T_sig6.gif

Tomas

Banned
Even if one is not using static IP's, Ryan, the number of settings that have to be 'just so' and the timing requirement that the remote has to be already waiting for the system at boot time makes the chance of any exploit actually working fairly slim.

HOWEVER, there are so few reports of large security holes in Apple software or hardware that ANY report of a security flaw becomes newsworthy, as opposed to some other software products.

Oh, just to balance this somewhat, on the same day this Apple security hole was made public (26NOV03), these five MSIE security holes were, also: Additional MSIE Active-X security holes.

T_sig6.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
It can only happen during boot? Well then I'm even more secure. I probably won't need to boot again until the patch is released. Maybe, rumor mills are whispering that 10.3.2 is ready...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps this is silly, but how can my connecting to an ldap server, any ldap server, create what is effectively an account on my computer? I haven't really done much with that at all, never used it for anything actually, but it is for telling me about the other machines and people on my network, not giving them accounts on my machine.

Perhaps another work around would be to re-assign the root user a higher id number /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Boy that would cause you a lot of work...