Just got my Armytek Predator Pro!

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
And so far I'm loving it. Man this thing has a lot of options. Very cool light. I can't think of much more I'd want in terms of options on it. It is super confusing and not incredibly intuitive to program, but I don't know what more they could with just one button and a twisting head. After about 30 minutes and reading the full instruction manual over and over I'm starting to get it.

I'm a sucker for programmable lights and this is pretty sweet.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Ordered the regular version knowing that I would be playing with the programming all the time. Enjoy your new light. I hope you find your own modes soon :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you guys please help me understand what are the differences between the pro and regular version? I have always thought of getting a Predator but always withheld for some reasons or another.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you guys please help me understand what are the differences between the pro and regular version? I have always thought of getting a Predator but always withheld for some reasons or another.

Not sure but I think it's something to do with regulation. I bought the Pro v2.5 XP-G2 (cool white), but since I don't like twisting heads to acquire different outputs. I bought mine for it's reach thus using it as a single output light.

I also purchased a 4/7's stiff (?) / ridged holster for it. It's a little loose (I fold the flap over, carried as an open top holster), but I don't plan on running with it, so it works for my use anyways.

Last edited:

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened

Programmability. The Pro is programmable and the other is not.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. So the only difference is the programmability on the pro version. One of the reason I am always holding back on my purchase is I can't decide which emitter to go for, and the other reason has got to do with the clip. Is the clip an easy clip on and pull off type? I like the clip to be firmly in place and would feel uncomfortable if it is those that are easily removable by just pulling it out. I noticed that this seems to be the trend now with Chinese made lights.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^ Just checked, it's a thin clip on style clip!

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Thanks guys. So the only difference is the programmability on the pro version. One of the reason I am always holding back on my purchase is I can't decide which emitter to go for, and the other reason has got to do with the clip. Is the clip an easy clip on and pull off type? I like the clip to be firmly in place and would feel uncomfortable if it is those that are easily removable by just pulling it out. I noticed that this seems to be the trend now with Chinese made lights.

Frankly, with that bezel, the light is too big for pocket clip type carry anyway. I'm a clip guy, and I'm not going to bother with this. If I cram it into my jeans pocket, it's big enough that it won't move as is. It comes with a belt holster and I'm not a holster guy, but I'd prefer that over clip carry for something this size.

ETA: Oh, and I went with the XPG version. This thing has crazy throw! Amazing. And plenty of spill too. I generally don't like XML lights, so the choice was easy for me. Love the XPG.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Wilson. I will read up more on the Predator Pro. I kind of like the rubberized combat grip just like what Surefire had done.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Wilson. I will read up more on the Predator Pro. I kind of like the rubberized combat grip just like what Surefire had done.

It's a solid light! I really like the coating Armytec used as well it has a great reach for a light of it's build!

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
This light has seriously shot up into my favorite lights list. I don't want to sing its praises too soon, but right now my feeling is that this is right up there with my HDS as my favorite light ever. Like I said, time will really be the judge, but I'm so impressed by what it does and how amazing it throws for a moderate sized light.

For me, HDS, Predator, and A2 round out my top three. And the A2 mainly based on emotion, since its been with me for so long.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a Predator 2.5 Pro CW myself. I was very close to getting the Viking but decided I'd rather have a compact thrower than another close-mid range XM-L 18650 light. The CW seemed like a good choice since the tint is actually quite low for a CW at 5500K. Is it lame that I am already deciding how to program it?

Thinking something like:
Line 1: 20lm-> 80 lm -> 250 lm -> Max
Line 2: .1lm -> 1.5lm ->5lm
One line for indoor one for outdoor

I probably would've been ok with the non-pro if it weren't for the fact that one of the lines switches with switch rather than head twists. I know it is quicker but for forward clicky light I strongly dislike mode changes through the switch.

Last edited:

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I just ordered a Predator 2.5 Pro CW myself. I was very close to getting the Viking but decided I'd rather have a compact thrower than another close-mid range XM-L 18650 light. The CW seemed like a good choice since the tint is actually quite low for a CW at 5500K. Is it lame that I am already deciding how to program it?

Thinking something like:
Line 1: 20lm-> 80 lm -> 250 lm -> Max
Line 2: .1lm -> 1.5lm ->5lm
One line for indoor one for outdoor

I probably would've been ok with the non-pro if it weren't for the fact that one of the lines switches with switch rather than head twists. I know it is quicker but for forward clicky light I strongly dislike mode changes through the switch.

I think I kept line 1 intact. Max is almost too bright unless you really need the throw. 200 is even a bit bright with that intense hotspot. 200 is generally where I keep it for line 1 though.

On line 2 I programmed it to the 3 firefly modes in succession followed by beacon.

Changed it to step regulation for both lines and CR123As for battery, although I'll switch it to 18650 next probably.

I hear you about the clicky for mode changes, but note that the head changes are pretty stiff to perform. The good news is that there is no play and won't be any accidental mode changes. Bad news is that the twisting requires a bit of effort.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I kept line 1 intact. Max is almost too bright unless you really need the throw. 200 is even a bit bright with that intense hotspot. 200 is generally where I keep it for line 1 though.

On line 2 I programmed it to the 3 firefly modes in succession followed by beacon.

Changed it to step regulation for both lines and CR123As for battery, although I'll switch it to 18650 next probably.

I hear you about the clicky for mode changes, but note that the head changes are pretty stiff to perform. The good news is that there is no play and won't be any accidental mode changes. Bad news is that the twisting requires a bit of effort.

Not too worried about mode change effort, I tend to not switch a whole lot. Reliable changes and predictable switch behavior are more important to me in a light of this type :)

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question about ramping:

Does the ramp up go linearly or based on vision? For example is 50% exactly half of max lumens or half of that apparent brightness (more like 200 lumens for example).?

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Question about ramping:

Does the ramp up go linearly or based on vision? For example is 50% exactly half of max lumens or half of that apparent brightness (more like 200 lumens for example).?

It looks like linearly to me. I have trouble telling that its getting brighter through much of the steps.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine should be here on Tues or Weds, looking forward to trying out the programming.