Sunwayman V11R Mirage: First Impressions & Problems with AA extender other issues

bicyclista

Newly Enlightened
Hi. wanna start by saying how great the forum is. lurked around here for a few weeks deciding which light to buy and have found the site to be tremendously helpful and interesting.

Background:

I recently purchased a V11R Mirage. I chose it based mostly on the UI. my criteria is: wanted a click switch, tailstand, various light levels including super low, battery versatility or minimum AA support.

I further chose the Mirage edition due to preference for something 'stylish' or at least 'not black' as I plan to keep light forever and find unique things acquire more love and emotion over time. Value was also a factor in my choice as I paid $80 from fasttech, which considering includes the AA extender and is numbered is a good value IMHO--- as long as it will last a lifetime and work flawlessly every time i turn it on.

At the time I wasn't aware of the V11R neutral, or I would probably have chosen that one, though I must say I am not overly bothered by the 'coolness' of the light. The illumination quality would trump body aesthetics for me.

I need a light that does everything. I will carry it every day in NYC but also I do backcountry trips in CO and AK, as well as frequent travel often in wilderness environments. I need something that I can trust everywhere, forever, pretty much no matter what. I didn't buy it as a collectors item to save on a shelf, I bought it as a key piece of gear to use a lot. I need to feel like i can trust it. To me, thats what makes it worth ~$100.

Unfortunately, my initial experience of the light is marred a few things, and I can't tell I can't tell if the light I received is broken or if this is what it is. I'm trying to keep an open mind as I decide to stick with this model or perhaps go for a different brand.

"Problems"

The most concerning thing is that that it does not work at all with the AA extender. Am i doing something wrong? I've tried several different AA batteries and none work. I read in another thread about people filing or otherwise adjusting something on this however I don't quite understand the issue but more importantly, I don't want to modify a ~$100 light-- it should minimally 'just work'. you can imagine my trust level sunk radically when I opened my brand new light, put in a brand new AA battery, clicked the switch and.... nothing. not a good first impression at all. IMHO should never happen at this price point and product positioning (i.e. precision crafted, rugged, lifetime guaranteed)

The light level adjuster has radically inconsistent resistance. if i turn it back and forth, after 2 times or so it goes into a 'full slip' mode where there is no friction at all. I can not tell if this is a bug or a feature (note in real world usage i can't imagine turning the light up and down with the ring like this except to 'play' so i'm not sure how big a deal this is) The resistance also seems to be greatly affected by temperature: i'm leery of how usable this is going to be in winter camping. I have seen this issue mentioned on many threads related to the V11R's. Due to this, I'm concerned about the long-term durability of the adjustment ring: while i love the ability to infinitely adjust the brightness, and would be willing to sacrifice a few minutes of battery life, i would give all that up if this is going to be a fail point in ~5 years.

When i shake the light near my ear, I hear a faint (and somewhat disconcerting) rattle sound. is this normal? again, might be an issue with my light, might be typical of them all, but it doesn't impute the level of quality i would expect at this price point and product level.

"Observations"

These are things i didn't notice until i had actually seen the light in person.

regarding the color: it doesn't really look like the photographs on the sunwayman website. in fact the light is a 3 color camo with black basecolor camo'd with a dark gray or olive color and dark red. personally i think the light looks great, but it doesn't look like the tan/bright red in SWM photos. while it does have some camouflage characteristics, it seems mostly like 'camo style' rather than 'tactical camo' (i don't care about this, i wish the photos represented the color better, but it still looks very good and i bet most of the people who think the photos are ugly would find the light better looking in person as it is more subtle)

i didn't notice that the Mirage edition does not include the light level indicator on the other v11r's ie. the min-max wrap and indicator point on the dial. this was disappointing to me at first, however i wonder how useful this is in real life? it seems like most of the time if i need to turn on the light, it would be too dark to read the scale and i would just adjust the brightness 'by feel' winding to min and turning it up to my relative desired brightness. the fact that i can do this before i turn the light on is the best feature for me. I'd like to know if others find the brightness markers on the V11R useful tho, and in which circumstances.

the brightness level is dissapointing so far. i'm not sure if this light is broken, (see above about rattle, battery issues) but i purchased at the same time a olight i3s which to the naked eye appears 'brighter' i haven't tried with rechargeable batteries as i'm waiting to invest in high quality batteries and charger until i'm sure which light will ultimately join my kit.

thank you for any feedback observations suggestions or advice.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman V11R Mirage: First Impressions & Problems with AA extender other issu

The ring resistance going into a freewheel after rapid turning happens.
Unless your AA extender is not fully tight and clean, there must be a problem with the light. I have 4 V11R and a V10A. All great. One went bad and was warranted with a new one.

Racer

Enlightened
Re: Sunwayman V11R Mirage: First Impressions & Problems with AA extender other issu

Mine had the grease fail after about a year of heavy use. Now there's no resistance on the ring. Does anyone know how to repack the grease? I think I read it here somewhere...

The AA extender on mine has been fine, but as others have pointed out, it has to be really tight, otherwise you are loosening the extender when you twist the ring to make the light brighter. My extender fits a little tight, which works out perfectly.

kbark

Newly Enlightened
Re: Sunwayman V11R Mirage: First Impressions & Problems with AA extender other issu

My V10R Ti+ had a rattle that I discovered was in the head section. I put a tiny amount of silicone grease around the edge of the reflector. (On the outside part NOT on the inside shiny part!) This cured the rattle in my light.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sunwayman V11R Mirage: First Impressions & Problems with AA extender other issues

Howdy bicyclista and welcome to CPF!
Sorry to hear of your issues with the new light, but don't let it get you down. I don't have the V11R, so I can't comment on your specific issues, but I did want to make a few observations about your post, which was very well presented.

I understand the appeal of a light like the V11R, with it's variable output selector and ability to use a wide variety of batteries, but after reading about your intended uses, I wonder if an 18650 based light would be a better match.

I started off with a smaller RCR123 light too, thinking it would fit in my pocket better, but kept finding that it just didn't have enough runtime for my real world uses. Yes, I did carry extra cells, but that's just something more to keep track of, so in the end, I ended up getting a nice 18650 light (Zebralight SC600), and after almost 2 years have found that, with a pocket clip, it works great for me, taking up just about the same space as my RCR123 light. I use the many different light levels every night, and with the extended runtime of an 18650 battery I never worry about running out of juice.

In any case, when dealing with any cutting edge technology, and these high end lights tend to be VERY cutting edge, often pushing current technology to it's limit, there are bound to be issues, so for those of us who enjoy owning and using high end lights, it can be tricky finding a balance between a light that offers the features we want, and a light that affords the reliability we need.

So, while it's nice to think your first light with be with you "for life", do understand that more often than not, it's a process of finding the right light for any given purpose, and an EDC light can be the most challenging. As you've already seen, there WILL be issues, but they usually gets sorted out, and I'm sure the issues you've having with your new light will get sorted out as well.

Also, remember that for those of us who enjoy having a light with us at all times, one is none, and two is one...... meaning, always have a backup light, because no matter how good your primary light is, there are many reasons why it could fail, usually at the wrong moment, so having even a small, reliable keyring AAA light is a must, even if it's only for the piece of mind it will give you.

By the way, since you're new here, I wanted to make sure you know about this valuable resource:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

Lithium-ion batteries need special care, and it's worth of few minutes of your time to read through that information to learn what you need to know about their use and maintenance.

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:

Dubois

Enlightened
Re: Sunwayman V11R Mirage: First Impressions & Problems with AA extender other issues

I wish I hadn't read this thread. Just shook my Mirage, and, yes, slight rattle. I was more upset with the ring in the beam, and having also bought a RRT-01 with new OP reflector at the same time, somewhat surprised.

The variable ring resistance seemed really annoying, but, as you say, when using it for real (I've only really just played with the light tbh) probably isn't that a big deal.

I've had no problems with the extender - I only use it with a Nitecore 14500 - but as Derek Dean says, because of the size I would rather reach for my SC600.

Ah well, nothing ventured .... I don't think the infinitely variable output works for me (RRT-01 take too long to get useful output imho).

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

First off ... :welcome: ... glad to have you here!

Although I haven't purchased anything from the vendor you purchased your light from. I'd look into their return, and or replacement policy. This will give you the option of returning it for a replacement, or simply shop for another light.

However, as mentioned, there is a learning curve with these lights in regards to it's overall build, how it fits in hand, beam profiles (as well as the beam's tint), etc. that would directly reflect on how you're planning on using the light.

Like yourself, I started with purchasing one light. A light that I could use for a long time. That thought aside, I presently have a case full of primary lights that I'll use for different applications. Lights that I can rely on, that build to last IMHO, as well as being tested from using it more then a week or so.

However, I carry a minimum of 3 different beam profile (as well as battery powered) lights on me while working (I also carry two or three single 18350 battery powered lights when I'm not). Another holstered in my boy Calvin's Jeep, and one I keep as a loaner light, e.g. don't care if the user breaks it, or drops it in the glove box. And this is when I'm close to my Rig (our home).

What I'm saying is in too many words I guess, is if I was planning on being in a remote area hiking, camping, or the like. Remember the old saying, always carry a back up, or face the possibility of being left in the dark. Also, as mentioned again, insure that you're carrying a light that has the run time you'll need. If your really out in a remote area, take back up batteries with you while taking a walk away from your base camp (whether you think you'll need them or not).

Good luck, and sorry to read about the problems you're having with your light!

Last edited:

Halfpint

Newly Enlightened

So far the only `problem' I've had with one, I bought 2 `Revolutions' and 1 `Mirage', of my V11Rs has been a loss of the dampening grease for the light level adjustments. When I first started using it it was nice and tight and after several months it was so loose I could almost blow on it and change the settings. Now this hasn't happened, I am well beyond the `use time' of that one and actually have given them a lot more use/abuse, with the other 2 and I kinda figure that the loose one was a fluke. Since I'm kinda `mech/techie' `phreak' I figure I'll end up going ahead and find the proper replacement grease and replace it myself. From what I've read here I don't have any real `fears / quibbles' about doing that as it appears that Sunwayman has designed them such that they aren't `disposa-lights' and are repairable.

therazorsedge

Newly Enlightened

Hi. wanna start by saying how great the forum is. lurked around here for a few weeks deciding which light to buy and have found the site to be tremendously helpful and interesting.

Background:

I recently purchased a V11R Mirage. I chose it based mostly on the UI. my criteria is: wanted a click switch, tailstand, various light levels including super low, battery versatility or minimum AA support.

I further chose the Mirage edition due to preference for something 'stylish' or at least 'not black' as I plan to keep light forever and find unique things acquire more love and emotion over time. Value was also a factor in my choice as I paid $80 from fasttech, which considering includes the AA extender and is numbered is a good value IMHO--- as long as it will last a lifetime and work flawlessly every time i turn it on.

At the time I wasn't aware of the V11R neutral, or I would probably have chosen that one, though I must say I am not overly bothered by the 'coolness' of the light. The illumination quality would trump body aesthetics for me.

I need a light that does everything. I will carry it every day in NYC but also I do backcountry trips in CO and AK, as well as frequent travel often in wilderness environments. I need something that I can trust everywhere, forever, pretty much no matter what. I didn't buy it as a collectors item to save on a shelf, I bought it as a key piece of gear to use a lot. I need to feel like i can trust it. To me, thats what makes it worth ~$100.

Unfortunately, my initial experience of the light is marred a few things, and I can't tell I can't tell if the light I received is broken or if this is what it is. I'm trying to keep an open mind as I decide to stick with this model or perhaps go for a different brand.

"Problems"

The most concerning thing is that that it does not work at all with the AA extender. Am i doing something wrong? I've tried several different AA batteries and none work. I read in another thread about people filing or otherwise adjusting something on this however I don't quite understand the issue but more importantly, I don't want to modify a ~$100 light-- it should minimally 'just work'. you can imagine my trust level sunk radically when I opened my brand new light, put in a brand new AA battery, clicked the switch and.... nothing. not a good first impression at all. IMHO should never happen at this price point and product positioning (i.e. precision crafted, rugged, lifetime guaranteed)

The light level adjuster has radically inconsistent resistance. if i turn it back and forth, after 2 times or so it goes into a 'full slip' mode where there is no friction at all. I can not tell if this is a bug or a feature (note in real world usage i can't imagine turning the light up and down with the ring like this except to 'play' so i'm not sure how big a deal this is) The resistance also seems to be greatly affected by temperature: i'm leery of how usable this is going to be in winter camping. I have seen this issue mentioned on many threads related to the V11R's. Due to this, I'm concerned about the long-term durability of the adjustment ring: while i love the ability to infinitely adjust the brightness, and would be willing to sacrifice a few minutes of battery life, i would give all that up if this is going to be a fail point in ~5 years.

When i shake the light near my ear, I hear a faint (and somewhat disconcerting) rattle sound. is this normal? again, might be an issue with my light, might be typical of them all, but it doesn't impute the level of quality i would expect at this price point and product level.

"Observations"

These are things i didn't notice until i had actually seen the light in person.

regarding the color: it doesn't really look like the photographs on the sunwayman website. in fact the light is a 3 color camo with black basecolor camo'd with a dark gray or olive color and dark red. personally i think the light looks great, but it doesn't look like the tan/bright red in SWM photos. while it does have some camouflage characteristics, it seems mostly like 'camo style' rather than 'tactical camo' (i don't care about this, i wish the photos represented the color better, but it still looks very good and i bet most of the people who think the photos are ugly would find the light better looking in person as it is more subtle)

i didn't notice that the Mirage edition does not include the light level indicator on the other v11r's ie. the min-max wrap and indicator point on the dial. this was disappointing to me at first, however i wonder how useful this is in real life? it seems like most of the time if i need to turn on the light, it would be too dark to read the scale and i would just adjust the brightness 'by feel' winding to min and turning it up to my relative desired brightness. the fact that i can do this before i turn the light on is the best feature for me. I'd like to know if others find the brightness markers on the V11R useful tho, and in which circumstances.

the brightness level is dissapointing so far. i'm not sure if this light is broken, (see above about rattle, battery issues) but i purchased at the same time a olight i3s which to the naked eye appears 'brighter' i haven't tried with rechargeable batteries as i'm waiting to invest in high quality batteries and charger until i'm sure which light will ultimately join my kit.

thank you for any feedback observations suggestions or advice.

Did u ever figure it out? Mine does not work either

cistallus

Enlightened

On my V11Rvn, I found I had to remove an O-ring for the AA extension to work. For my use of the light this is OK, but it's disappointing.