Swapping XP-G with Nichia 219: driver NOT happy

creyc

Enlightened
I'm trying to swap out an XP-G emitter in my Thrunite Ti with a Nichia 219 since a cursory glimpse at the datasheets seemed like they would be roughly compatible.

The low output mode seems to work fine, but when I switch the high output the light quickly fades to off. Is this 219 drawing too much current for the little Ti driver? Would I be able to reel this current draw back with a resistor in series?

CXnXut4.png

wJPoTxK.png

Last edited:

djozz

Newly Enlightened
The current should be no issue, the led can run at any low current, perhaps the higher Vf of the Nichia is causing a problem for the driver? But I am actually surprised, I have not had any issues putting Nichia219's in any light, including AAA-lights, apart from always a lower output compaired to the stock led. (i.e. I put a Nichia219 in my copper Maratac AAA and it worked fine).

creyc

Enlightened

Thanks, posted in his thread as well.

The current should be no issue, the led can run at any low current, perhaps the higher Vf of the Nichia is causing a problem for the driver? But I am actually surprised, I have not had any issues putting Nichia219's in any light, including AAA-lights, apart from always a lower output compaired to the stock led. (i.e. I put a Nichia219 in my copper Maratac AAA and it worked fine).

I suppose it's a current limited circuit in the first place, so my theory on that goes out the window.

Flucero28

Enlightened
I have done the same nichia mod on a thrunite Ti with no issues. One thing to check is that the bottom of the reflector is not shorting out when the head is tightened. I had that problem on another members thrunite ti.

creyc

Enlightened
I have done the same nichia mod on a thrunite Ti with no issues. One thing to check is that the bottom of the reflector is not shorting out when the head is tightened. I had that problem on another members thrunite ti.

I hadn't even tried mounting the reflector and bezel yet until the LED is fully operational..

creyc

Enlightened
As usual, I just need to listen to CPF.

I guess it's been a couple years and my reflow soldering skills could use some practice. Removed LED, cleaned prepped and fluxed the MCPCB, re-flowed the chip and all is good.

Love the new tint in one of my favorite flashlight UI's!

Tiresius

Enlightened
I personally hate this driver. I've had that coil unit break down quite often from people who came to me. It broke down over a period of a year or two and I am now resorting to using AMC drivers with additional 7135 soldered on top to increase its output.

creyc

Enlightened
I personally hate this driver. I've had that coil unit break down quite often from people who came to me. It broke down over a period of a year or two and I am now resorting to using AMC drivers with additional 7135 soldered on top to increase its output.

Are you stacking the 7135s?

Any idea what difference Thrunite does to the firefly version driver? I think I'd prefer that..