The Ultimate "MOAB"

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultimate \"MOAB\"

That's right, the "MOTHER OF ALL BRIGHTNESS". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif I could not make up my mind for another light to compliment my Tigerlight for the task of running my dogs. Although I am a firm believer in you folks stating that the MagCharger w/WA 01660 Bulb is the way to go. I decided to go the SL-35X route. After realize the painstaking task on just getting the Bulbs replaced on the MagCharger set me reeling. I know you'd buy in a small bulk but the notion of waiting for a group buy does not appeal to me.

I will plan on buying the SL-35x versus the SL-20x only because I want the larger batt capacity. I may end up getting a Saft 1/2 D Cell Batt Stick or a PowerStream. I may not need it because the SL-35x comes with bigger batt capacity than the 20x anyway.

I know the 35x is a long flashlight but this will be used strictly as a tool probably never leaving my property but just to take it out in the fields with my 4 beast...

I read on BrightGuys Website this Flasher/Taillight Accessory that I will also pickup. Boy what a usefull tool,like have a built in dimmer switch that controls the intensity of your light that is also digital. I already have a spare UCL lens I got when I order for my Tigerlight and I guess they have the same sized Bezel...

Anyway, read on if you care too...

"Now a versatile tail cap switch that varies intensity and extends run time for the popular SL-20X™ and SL-35X™ (also fits the SL-20™ and SL-35™). Easy to retrofit without any modifications, the Digital Flasher/Dimmer accessory replaces the existing tail cap. Push and hold the tail cap switch to adjust the light intensity to any task. Double click the switch for "flash" mode and you can extend the run time up to 200%. The light can be activated in the low intensity mode by depressing the dimmer button when turning on the light otherwise the light turns on full intensity."

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Ultimate

Sweet! I wonder what it would take to strip the guts and plant it in a Mag tailcap.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm,
The SL-35X is a 5D isn't it? You know, you could probably stuff 9x Powerstream 1/2Ds and then run the ultimate bulb, the WA01185. How's 1,200 lumens at 10.4V grab you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Wilkey

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Sweet! I wonder what it would take to strip the guts and plant it in a Mag tailcap.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong but since both the MagCharger and 35x take the same size battery 1/2 D's than the actually body of both lights could possibly be the same, right? I wonder if that Digital Tailcap wouldn't fit on the Mag? It may have different threads though. That is when you call your CNC Buddy over for a beer to check it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the SL-35X takes full-size D cells. As to the tailcap threads, It would be lucky if they were the same threading. Perhaps you can tell us when you get yours.

Wilkey

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the SL-35X takes full-size D cells. As to the tailcap threads, It would be lucky if they were the same threading. Perhaps you can tell us when you get yours.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I went to Streamlight's website and found the following stat's on their batt stick "Nickel-cadmium 6 Volt, 2.4 amp hour, ½ D; rechargeable up to 1,000 times ".

Hey, we could be on to something here...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wilkey, there has to be a typo somewhere because I just went back to the Streamlight Website and the 20x according to their site has the same batt stick. I am thinking than what is the 35x doing with the extra 4.5" in length? Something is not right. I will ask Greg @ BrightGuy when I place the order which will be in the next few days. Or I will check out the stick when the flashlight ships to me.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found the problem. You are correct. I went back to Streamlights Website and checked out their online production information sites and this is what I found...

17" 2.8 Ibs Aircraft Aluminum 6v 20watt 5 "D" Welded Stick 40,000cp 400 mA

So they are full D size instead of the half like you previously stated.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok,

That makes sense. I was looking at a manual for the SL series and it said the exactly that. I didn't say the stock stick was 1/2Ds. I said in place of 5 Ds you could stuff 9 1/2Ds and make it a 10V light. That opens it up to much more powerful bulbs. But of course, they'd have to be mounted in the reflector.

Wilkey

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Ok,

That makes sense. I was looking at a manual for the SL series and it said the exactly that. I didn't say the stock stick was 1/2Ds. I said in place of 5 Ds you could stuff 9 1/2Ds and make it a 10V light. That opens it up to much more powerful bulbs. But of course, they'd have to be mounted in the reflector.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I reread what I posted and you are correct. You originally stated that you had thought the sl-35x had full size D's instead of the half. Must be my wine that is taking it's holiday effect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyhow I am going to give Battery Station a call and see what they could do for me for a Batt Stick configuration with a bit more juice. Maybe by just switching brands would suffice?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

The wide variety of performance to be found in the range of available batteries makes that by no means a sure thing. Even in the Panasonic nicads, there are 6 different kinds for everything from low temperature trickle charge to high rate charge/discharge types. I believe Batterystation advertises the brand names of their products so that makes researching a little bit easier. I found their advice a bit thin though, when I inquired about high rate 1/2 sub-Cs for an application.

Wilkey

PS. I only had one glass of wine today. What was I thinking?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif