JETBEAM RRT-3 Recharging Mod

tonykwasser

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have Jetbeam RRT-3 and am thinking of modifying/rewiring rear pressure switch connector that I don't use, into a recharging port so batteries do not need to be taken out for recharging. I use 3 Jetbeam's Li-Ion (2300 mAH) that are connected in series, producing ~11.4V.

QUESTIONS:
1) Is it doable at all and did anyone actually do it by himself?
2) Could anyone advise me on how to disassemble the rear metal cap with the switch/connector, without destroying it in the process?
3) What kind of recharger (V/A) would be most suitable for this application?

Thank you in advance
:)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recharging Li-Ions in series is pretty ugly. The right way to do it is as follows:

1. Purchase 3S Li-Ion pack charger.
2. Create a battery holder that fits inside the light. This needs leads to between each cell for the balance charging.
3. Install all this. Put a power socket in the tailcap (somehow). Waterproof that tailcap.
4. Test on a concrete surface outside...

aau007

Enlightened
The remote pressure switch is pratically a bounce switch that provides a short between the tailcap's center spring to the case, thus completing the circuit for the LED to light up.

In order to use the switch for charging, you will need to somehow rewire it so instead of shorting the spring to the case, you short the spring to the Pos terminal. Now you can tap a charger onto the Pos and Neg (the spring) of the battery pack. Even then, you don't have cell balancing capabitlity.

tonykwasser

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for responding. I didn't think of balancing problems before reading your replies. This makes me think twice before I'd actually do it. Thanks again for a valid point.

My Best! :)