Ever been stopped by airport security

elm29

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has ever been stopped by airport security cos of their EDC? Going on a holiday and would hate to have my ARC confiscated...might be safer to leave it behind. Anybody got any good or bad experiences at airports?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
could you leave your arc behind?

$10 bucks says you couldn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

elm29

Newly Enlightened
that would the easiest $10 bucks you ever made!

Sacry how fast it becomes part of you...only had it for a week!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i've never really been hassled for having lights. some funny looks when the security people notice i'm carrying 3 of them, but other than that no problems

Tomas

Banned
Good call, Roth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Strange how quickly they become "essential," isn't it, Elm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T_sig6.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saturday, I "beeped" at Birmingham, Alabama airport. The guard had me put all metal in a tray and I had an Arc-AAA w/glowring attached. It didn't even get a glance. The rest of my carry lights were in my backpack that went through the X-ray machine without any problems.
I'm in Germany now and I only got checked at departure in the States.
Don't worry and have a good time.

lightnix

Enlightened
I've never had a problem with lights, in fact I've rarely had a problem. It's weird, I've flown back to the UK from Europe so many times with a definite "post-gig" look about me and sailed straight through the green channel, but any time I shave, wear a suit or tie, or make any attempt to look respectable I get invited over to one side for a few informal questions. Go figure. Never actually been searched though.

I usually pack stuff like my Leatherman in my main baggage for flying, especially these days. When boarding one pre 9/11/01 flight, a Stanley work knife was found in my flight bag, but was allowed on as a "tool of my trade". Since 9/11/01 I've had a corkscrew (my fault) confiscated at Stuttgart and an umbrella taken away at Seville.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just don't tell the guys at security what the NAME of the lights you're carrying are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They would never let you through if they knew you were carrying 2 stingers, a surge, a tigerlight, an Arc, a Sure Fire and a long gun illuminator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I took my Z3 combat with me to San Jose and I didn't have any problems. I placed it in my carry on bag and it went through the x-ray machine without any problems. Didn't get stopped, hassled, or questioned. Good luck

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to remove the battery from a Mag solitare pre 9/11, but haven't flown since. I made a xray scanner mad because I wounldn't drop my laptop on the belt until the line at the walk through was down so I woudl walk through and pick it up at the other end before someone else grabbed it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Eugene said:
I made a xray scanner mad because I wounldn't drop my laptop on the belt until the line at the walk through was down so I woudl walk through and pick it up at the other end before someone else grabbed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's entirely reasonable IMO. I do the same thing.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some weird looks when I carried a Eternalight until I turned it on. Still got some confused looks even as I explained it was a flashlight.

However, I have had my case mutilated by the checked baggage destroyers (excuse me, inspectors). It is a pelican case with plastic boxes that fit in fitted foam cutouts that they can not seem to put back toghether with out losing or damaging something on each flight. But that is a different rant.

Size15's

Flashaholic
In general, I've found that the security have been more concerned with my belt and shoes then the various SureFires I carry (and have in carry-on).

I had to show that my L4 was a "torch" to security at the House of Lords a little while back.

Next flights should be to the SHOT Show next year... I guess I'll be going lite and coming home with light.

Al

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
i haven't been stopped by airport security for these reasons, but i have been stopped by police on the streets who thought i was carrying an expandable baton. I carry my torch in a belt holster which looks similar to the baton holders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
I once took a collapsible kayak through the carry-on x-ray machine without anyone batting an eyelid.
I then realised I had somehow missed the checked luggage counter and lugged 30 kg of kayak and gear back through the airport.
Talking of security checks: when visiting the Tower of London many years back, all the little old ladies had to surrender their handbags for inspection while my own youthful and scruffily-clad self, wearing a dozen bulging pockets, was waved through...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only time I was stopped for "unusal" objects was when I was 12 to 14, and the airport security guys in Sacramento CA. didn't know what that broken laser tube in my carry on was. I was eventually let through, but not before security called a supervisor down, and he didn't know what that glass thing was either. After all of the "who, what, where, when, and why" questions, I was finally let through security, along with my carry on bag and my busted laser tube, and all of us made it back to southeast Alaska. I'm guessing this was right around 1980, because I remember having a Fairchild FLV-104 LED (from an Information Unlimited "simulated laser" kit) in California at that time.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was stopped last year for carrying a Co2 container in my bag. It had already been discharged, as I pointed out the HOLE in the end of the cartridge which had allowed all of the Co2 out a long time ago. They grudingly accepted this. I was carrying it home from a trade show in order to find replacement cartridges of the same size/type when I got back home. This was for a proffessional-style confetti cannon.

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened
If it helps you can refer to the ready.gov website which suggests having the following:

<font color="green"> Flashlight and extra batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif </font> <font color="brown">
Battery powered radio and extra batteries
Plastic garbage bags, ties and toilet paper for personal sanitation
First aid kit
Map of the area for evacuation or for locating shelters
A whistle to signal for help
Moist towelettes
</font>

Just a thought.

Chris