When did you need a flashlight but not have one?

papershredder

Newly Enlightened
I was a flashaholoic as a kid. We had incandescents powered off a few cells, and we liked it! I collected out of the Radio Shack catalog.
Now I've got LED flashlights that are leaps and bounds ahead of what I had growing up. I only recently got back into lights via EDC.

But, between then and now, there were a few situations, chronologically, that stand out where I found myself without a light when I really could have used one (or a good one, for that matter.)

1. Went on a camping trip from Arizona to California. Reserved a spot at a campground, long after dark. There was no moon out. My friend and I could barely find the trail that led to the campground. Once we got there, we did not know it, and almost walked into at least a couple of tents trying to find our numbered spot. When we almost walked into the side of the first tent, we realized we had made it to about the right place.
  2. Another camping trip, this time to Colorado from Arizona. Another dark night. I had a few cheap Harbor Freight lights with me. They were better than nothing, but I could not determine my surroundings beyond about 10 feet. This made gathering firewood in the dark difficult. When the sun came up, I was able to see things in my surroundings that I was oblivious to at night.
  3. Searching around 5 acres for a prowler (probably someone running a meth lab) with a standard maglight, and a few other tools.
  4. Driving around in rural Iowa--trying to back up in a car in unfamiliar surroundings.

In these situations I've listed, which admittedly are few and far between, the average store-bought flashlight would not do the job. Only the "high end" stuff here discussed on CPF would be suitable. It's not just about being without a light, it's about being without the right light. I EDC mostly single cell lights now, but they would all work wonders for the listed scenarios I've found myself in. My multiple cell lights and a few searchlights would be even better, and I usually carry these when I expect to find myself in more demanding environments.

It's one thing to be outpaced by new technology, but it's entirely another to not be suitably prepared. Just having one good light would have made a world of a difference.

Can anyone relate?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL...seems like no one can relate...we be generally armed with some powerful little light at any given time...the AAA on my key chain put out a health amount (80LM?) if asked...not for long...but still...and the middle 30LM setting is most often more than enough. I have found that even a common 10~13 lumen AAA light will do most tasks in a pinch. There have been a few times I wished I had one of my brighter lights with me...but not many.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The first time I believe it was too dark to see, and I did not have a light with me, was in the womb. It was before I started EDC-ing.

I was not EDC-ing regularly until I was wearing clothes regularly.

I have had a light with me of some type ever since. Often more than one, especially if I count the ones stashed in places that might be expected to need them.

Poppy

Flashaholic
papershreadder,
I tried to remember a time in the past that I needed a light and didn't have one, and I was hoping that it would be a good story. I really couldn't think of one. Like you, I always had a 3 Cell mag light in each of my cars, and my kids cars too. At home, I'd have a dozen lights. Typically when I'm not at home, I am with my car. However, I can share my story of why I currently carry everyday.

During the power outages of Super Storm Sandy, our area had wide-spread power outages. Most lasted days, some weeks. With a group of volunteers, I participated in a door to door search of a senior village (that was without power for three days at the time) to see if there were any medical emergencies, etc. I left my car in a parking lot, and jumped into a truck with another volunteer. I didn't think to take a light as it was daylight, and I thought we were going to be outside all the time. Well... the units were like three story apartment buildings, there was no power, the emergency lights were dead days ago, and there were no windows. Inside the halls was Cave Darkness! You couldn't see your out-stretched hand in front of your face. Fortunately I was able to borrow a light, but since then I carry a key chain light. My little Nano won't do much, but it should get me out of the building, and to a bigger light.

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
The time I stepped out to go around something in my way, and nothing but air was there for about 15 feet, was a really good time to have one.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
The first time I ever went camping and didn't have a flashlight, I learned from that mistake and never made it again. Aside from that, I've been EDC'ing for so long, it's hard to remember.

There was also the time I was canyoning with some buddies in Utah. It was getting late and we hadn't reached the 'safe' site yet. The one spot where it was reasonably safe to pitch a tent and make camp in the slot canyon where you wouldn't be killed in case of a flash flood that could occur from a rainstorm that might hit even as far as 25-30 miles up river.

We were hiking fast, it got dark really fast in the slot canyons and there were rocks and boulders all over the bed that we were scrambling over. Not enough light could mean twisting an ankle or breaking a leg. Just as we found the safe site, my headlamp died. Brand new batteries (4xAA). Got maybe 90-120 minutes on High. Man am I happy we have LED technology now. I realized as we were setting up camp, that my backup handheld was buried in my pack. Good thing my buddies lights were still working. I managed to swap batteries as theirs proceeded to die.

Now, I make sure that I always have my backup light(s) close and accessible with one hand.

The most recent one that I DO recall, is why I now keep a light on my person even at home. Power outage. All the blinds and curtains were closed. Hardly any ambient light in the house. Even though I had lights all over the house, I had none on me or within arm's reach. In the 10 steps it took to reach the closest light, knowing EXACTLY where it was, I stubbed my toe on something on the ground that I wasn't expecting to be there.

After much muttering and cussing, I realized how silly it was that I have flashlights all over the house and managed to hurt myself (albeit very slightly in this case) because I didn't have a flashlight on me, or within arm's reach when I needed it. I now place the light I keep on the nightstand in my pocket the moment I get out of bed.

Max

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Simply attaching a small light, say a 14500/AA sized version, to your keychain will take care of most issues where'd you'd otherwise be surprised by an unexpected lack of light...as most of us do manage to leave with our keys at least. I have a Thrunite Ti2 and a small SOG knife on the keys for the same reason, etc.

After that, the glove box and emergency/tool kits, etc, are good places to stash spares.

I use lights for work, so I'm going to always have lights when I leave for work, but, going to the gym for example, where I might just be in shorts with mesh pockets, etc, I do have a 10440 light on the Gym tag/key. :D

In short, just think about where you go and what you do, and, if say the power went out, you got stuck out later than expected, etc...what lights (Or other Plan B supplies) would be a good idea to have along?

:D

bluemax_1

Enlightened
^ precisely.

And if AA lights are too big. These days, there are many small to tiny lights that put out usable amounts of light for decent runtimes (not like the old Solitaire LOL). I used to have a Photon on my keychain (many folks carry these). Small and light enough not to notice them there.

I personally stopped carrying Photons (and any kind of squeeze light) after the umpteenth time finding the batteries dead from having the light activated in my pocket by something pressing against it. The eGear Pico isn't much bulkier than the Photon (to me) and has never accidentally turned on. Puts out a usable amount of light for a decent amount of time. I also prefer the design over the similarly sized Streamlight Nano. Less chance of losing the head, and easier to replace the batteries in.

If AAA sized lights are acceptable, there's a HUGE selection of those available, and I don't think these are big on a keychain except for the kind of folks who have literally only 2 flat keys on a keyring because anything more is too bulky to them.

Max

Last edited:

Cinder

Newly Enlightened
During a trip to Coron Island in the Philippines, one of our many stops while island hopping was the "Blue Lagoon," probably one of the most photographed scenes found in postcards, etc. It was good to actually be there in person. We hiked for a couple minutes until we reached "the spot" where you got the best view of the lagoon:

Here's the thing: behind the "spot" where the above pic is taken, was this cave:

Our guide told us it was an ancient burial place and actually went down a good hundred meters until it reached sea level. The spot above with the view of the lagoon was a good 15-20 minute hike, so that would be about 15-20 minutes of exploring the cave if only I had brought my Fenix TK 15 which I left back at the resort because I did not think I would need it while we went island hopping under the bright, scorching sun!

I'm still annoyed at myself because that gaping mouth of darkness was so inviting, I really wanted to go in there and explore. :mad:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blackout in 2003 ~2:30.
By 3:00 it became obvious it was a big one. It extended to Chicago in the west and New York to the south.
My ride decided to go home early from work.
Went up the first stairs in the lobby to the 2nd floor. Entered the corridor to get to the fire escape stairs. The battery in my Solitaire was dead! Have to feel my way up many flights of stairs.
When I got into my flat light was still streaming in the windows. But I have my 4AA 1LED light there.
Blackout lasted 3 days.

Went looking for an LED pocketable light. Google brought me to CPF.
$ - $$ - $$$ - $$$ - :broke:

bwhiteside

Newly Enlightened
Looking for an escaped dog on the 4th of July and finding the flashlight in my car was dead. I joined this forum the next day to get an appropriate light!

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened
Earthquake!!

I had just moved over to Taiwan to work and about 2 months afterwords there was a huge earthquake that knocked out power islandwide. The power was out completely for about 3-5 days where I was and then we had rolling power for about 1-2 months afterwords. The stores had sold out of them and my friend gave me a cheap $2 tiny flashlight that took one AA battery. This was over 10 years prior to the LED lights. That light severed the purpose at the time, however it caught me off guard and I had nothing. Right now I have about 10 flashlight floating around the house, the problem is they are all AA and most of them are mag lights. Since joining this forum though I have learned quite a bit and am now looking for some new lights that use other types of batteries and better more powerful flashlights as well as those that can last hours upon hours on low light for emergencies. This forum has been a treasuretrove of information.

radioactive_man

Enlightened
About 12 years ago I was still in university. One fine morning the power decided to fail while I was on the can in the (pretty much windowless) basement of the computer science department. I had to rely on the light from the screen of my Nokia 5210 to safely get the toilet paper where it needed to be applied without getting into a "brown-out" incident, if you catch my drift. This incident got me to buy a red, covert Photon Freedom (because the "covert" part sounded tacticool to me at the time, and because of the night vision friendly color) and later a more pratical, white, non-covert Photon Freedom.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luckily I've never been caught without a light in a bad situation. I've learned from a few times that my dad wished he had a light though. One time was on vacation when a dog was running toward him at night and he couldn't see very well at all outside. Luckily it didn't really end up bothering him. Another time he was leaving a winery at night and couldn't find his car in the parking lot. Eventually he got lucky and bumped into it. Since then we've always had keychain lights, and they've come in handy at least a couple times when the power has gone out in large department stores.

Now I also carry at least two lights in addition to a tiny one on my keychain, but I have still sometimes wished I brought a bigger light with me just for fun. The lights on my belt have been adequate, but it would have been more fun to show off the brightest one I have instead.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only times I can remember is when I started camping. The goal was to go walk some safe trails in the dark, but I was with some lazy heads that got out of bed at noon and after pitching a tent at dusk *twice*, I discovered LED flashlights and headlamps. This led to the discovery of modern LEDs, CPF and the flashlight bug.

Since then, I was caught once sitting at my desk without a flashlight at arm's reach, so I had to walk to the bedroom using my lighter to get my L2D. It now lives on my desk ans I have some form of battery powered light at arm's reach wherever I sit at home, especially in the can ( worst place to find yo the dark.)

I now also have a keychain light, which has proven useful when I forget to grab an EDC light. If you don't have it, you'll need it...