Arc AA has my vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtsoll

Enlightened
After having my Arc AA for a while I must say I like it better than my AAA LE. Between the two I would pick the AA. I know most of you prefer the AAA because of the size but I actually like the larger size. It seems easier to turn on and off, more to hold on to. I also like the flat tailcap for the standup ability. I have used it every day since I got it and it also has now taken residence in my front left pocket, winning a spot that once belonged to the AAA. Anyone else on my side?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Don't get me wrong, I still love my AAA LE but the AA has certainly grown on me!!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mrd 74

Enlightened
I couldn't agree more,in fact I gave my AAA to my daughter tonight.I too carry my AA in my left front pocket but it is suspended on a 4" chain with a Berkley mini-clip snapped to my belt loop.

Adron

Newly Enlightened
I really love the quality and area of light that the AA puts out. I just got mine yesterday, but it's stopped working now. I'm probably gonna have to send it back to them to have it fixed.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also prefer the AA to the AAA, even to the point where I no longer have any AAAs (but mom and bro now do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

There's just more of a feel to it. When attached to a keychain, it balances very well in the hand, and acts as a better counterweight for the keys than the AAA. Plus it's brighter, has a wider beam, and has a lot more runtime. It is by far my favorite low power light.

dtsoll

Enlightened
I knew I'd have some folks on my team!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Adron, sad to hear yours don't work, are both battery blobs (positive and negative) clean? I haven't heard of many AA's going down. The good thing is it will be taken care of by the finest customer service folks around!!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Adron

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, both battery blobs are clean. I really don't know what happened to it. But I've heard nothing but great things about Arc customer service, so I'm sure that I will be taken well care of.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Rest assured my friend, Peter will take care of you, I would send him an email asap so you won't be without your AA very long. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Adron

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Doug,
I did just that. You know I only had that little light for one day hanging around my neck and already I feel naked without it! I'm so impressed with it that I'm thinking about getting an LS.

nexro

Enlightened
My Arc AA's head seems very difficult to be turned. It so hard to turn it that I have to use both of my hands when turning the light on.
Does anybody have this problem too?

Penguin

Enlightened
Adron,

That happened to me as well, Merri rushed me a replacement ASAP. Man, I LOVE Arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Nexro,

With enough lubricant on the O-ring, the AA's head will turn as smooth and as easily as butter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any Arcs except LSes, yet. I did choose the Infinity over the Arc AAA for the runtime and the option of Lithium AA. Same with the Infinity Ultra.

The Arc AA is on my list of lights to get.

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Please don't take this the wrong way, try using a new and unused battery. I had two AA's that arrived turned on still in the shipping package. No big deal to me, I just replaced the batteries, no telling how long they'd been lit. Once the battery gets below .8 volts, it won't overcome the starting circuit. If it accidently turned on in shipping, it could have worked it's way back up to .8+ volts, then rapidly die out...

Happy Thanksgiving
Lighthouse

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both great lights.
But I think that the AA is easier to handle.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I like the ARC AA, but I dont think it's worht twice as much as a CMG Infinity Ultra. The only Advantage of the ARC AA is it will stand on it's tail for Candle Mode. The CMG Infinity Ultra cost half as much and includes a lanyard and a poket clip.

I have both. If I were going to recommend a single AA led light it would be the Ultra.

I really like the ARC AAA it's small size makes it an ideal key chain light.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
AR15Fan said:
I like the ARC AA, but I dont think it's worht twice as much as a CMG Infinity Ultra. The only Advantage of the ARC AA is it will stand on it's tail for Candle Mode. The CMG Infinity Ultra cost half as much and includes a lanyard and a poket clip.

I have both. If I were going to recommend a single AA led light it would be the Ultra.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's a fair accessment of the AA/CMG comparision. If you think the AA is overpriced or too expensive, then say that. That's fine, however the CMG is less expensive for a variety of reasons. I also believe you have missed some key advantages of the ARC-AA product.

- It's smaller.
- It looks more eye appealing.
- It's brigher.
- It doesn't suffer from battery rattle.
- It comes in HA-III natural coating.
- It's warranty is unmatched.
- It has better LED centering.
- It has better LED tint.
- It stands on its end (you did mention that).
- It's produced by a company that has a presence in this user community.
- It has a higher-percentage on resale value.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple more reasons.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
... and use it with L91 lithiums to reduce the weight and have a flatter output over the runtime ... something the AAA cannot do!
a great light indeed!
bernhard

paulr

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
- It's smaller.
- It's brigher.
- It doesn't suffer from battery rattle.
- It comes in HA-III natural coating.
- It's warranty is unmatched.
- It has better LED centering.
- It has better LED tint.
- It stands on its end (you did mention that).
- It's produced by a company that has a presence in this user community.
- It has a higher-percentage on resale value.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple more reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smaller: true, a significant advantage
Eye appeal: subjective, but I guess I agree
Brighter: not necessarily an advantage (shorter runtime,
premature dimming of LED, more light than you need)
Battery rattle: eh, not a real prob with CMG, I just wrap
the cell in a post-it.
HA3 coating: available in Ultra-G if you don't mind the
goofy US govt stencilling
Warranty: both are excellent, I have no complaints about CMG
LED Centering: are you sure? I heard of probs with AAA centering.
LED tint: hmm, maybe. Better to use an underdriven Luxeon if you care about this. I wish someone would.
Stand on end: very big advantage for me, all lights should do that.
Produced by CPF community regular: this is also a plus
Percentage on resale: I think really not much difference. Batterystation sells Ultras for $15 and you can probably get that much minus shipping on resale.

All in all I think of the Arc AA is a smaller, nicer version of the Ultra and made by a CPF'er, but not a radical leap. I'll probably get one sometime because of the tail stand. It looks like my next LED light will be a UKE 2aaa eLED though. Size and weight should be comparable to an Ultra or Arc AA, it has very long runtime and looks from the pic like it should stand on end, costs just $10 new (Countycomm) and it's totally waterproof. Its beam is narrower than I'd like (focusing optic molded into the bezel) but maybe I can fix that with sandpaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[ QUOTE ]
AR15Fan said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's a fair accessment of the AA/CMG comparision. If you think the AA is overpriced or too expensive, then say that. That's fine, however the CMG is less expensive for a variety of reasons. I also believe you have missed some key advantages of the ARC-AA product.

- It's smaller.
- It's brigher...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one ARC AA, (2) ARC AAA, & one ARC AAA-LE. Both of my CMG Infinity Ultas are as bright as any of My ARC AA or AAA and they have the same bluish white tint.

ARC's warranty is only 10 Years. Ulta has a lifetime warranty.

You do have a valid point about the battery rattle. So thats two things about the ARC AA I like over the Ultra. Candle Mode & No rattle, at twice the cost.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine today, very pleased with it. Much more useful than the Inova X1, the only other 1AA light ive owned. Mr Gransee also stated in a previous, unrelated thread that there was a LED in development designed to fill the gap between the 5mm and the 1 watt Luxeon. Now he's already got the perfect host for it when and if it ever materializes.
ARC is one step ahead yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.