KT4 Turbohead vs. SRTH

rlhess

Enlightened
How does the KT4 Turbohead with the MN15 lamp compare with the SRTH Turbohead with the N2 lamp?

Reason I'm asking--if I'm now invested in the "M" series with the L6, perhaps having the KT4 Turbo Head would give me an option when the KL6 doesn't have the reach w/o carrying two lights.

Thanks!

Richard

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is said that the SRTH with the N2 Lamp is one of the longest throwing light and has the best beam shape (circular, not oval) MN15 will have a oblong hotspot if I didn't remember wrongly from what Size15 said in another thread.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SRTH wont fit on a Millenium series light. It's designed for the C and P series lights. The only Millenium light that will take an SRTH is the M2, because it uses the same bezel threads as the C/P series.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: M3 body?

Yeah,

The L6 comes on an M3 body. Is that right?

If so, the Turbo Head you really want is the M3T head. It will take the N2 and M3T LOLA & HOLA's, and then it will be HA III like the body and not black HA II.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: M3 body?

The L6 is an M3 body with Z58 Clickie TailCap and KL6 5W Luxeon Bezel.

The KT4 is the Millennium TurboHead with MN15 & MN16 Lamp Assemblies. The Millennium TurboHead only fits on "Millennium" bodies such as the M3 body.

The N2 Lamp will fit in the Millennium TurboHead but should not be used in a WeaponLight.

Based on the single SRTH I have, the difference between the throw of the SRTH and the Millennium TurboHead is not significant enough for me to justify getting anything other than the M3T.

rlhess

Enlightened
Re: M3 body? Turbohead lamps

More explanation:

The L6 consists of a KL6 LED head and an "L6" body with a Z56 clickie tail cap. I believe the difference between the "L6" body and the "M3" body is the engraving <smile>.

I have an SRTH turbohead with N2 lamp which I use on a 9P with another type of clickie tailcap. BUT, since I now have an L6, I was wondering if I would like the KT4 as much as the SRTH. That way, by carrying the turbohead I could have the option for long throw when I needed it without carrying another light. It would make the L6 more versatile. Figuring out HOW to carry it will be another issue.

Now, with that said, Al has brought up the issue that I have a choice between the MN15 and MN16 LAs and the N2 LA.

How does the beam differ between the N2 and the MN15 LAs?

edit: AL sez in a prior post that he likes the N2 better (and the MN16)

How does the beam differ between the MN15 and MN16 other than putting out twice the light for one third the time?

edit: All implies that the MN16 is a better beam than the MN15

Can I purchase the KT4 without LAs and just use the N2?

edit: I've posted in B/S/T

Thanks!

Richard

Size15's

Flashaholic

The KTx come with lamps. They're like that. And that's the way they are. Huh!
The KT4 comes with TWO lamps - the MN15 & MN16.

I have a few lamps - multiples of various ones so I get a good idea of what the beams are like.
The MN15 has always been a slightly more intense, slightly larger spot, squashed N2 beam. Some of the MN15 are not in the slightest bit "round" unlike all the N2's I've ever seen.

Then along come my mate Jahn "LightLover" Projects with his collection of lamps. Take a look at these he says - tell me what you think of the beams he says. So we use my large number of bodies to host his lamps and compare beams. He has a couple of STUNNING MN15 lamps. He also is a picky old fart who really expects the total purity perfection from each beam at all distances. Call me crude but I like to judge a beam by how it can light things up in use. I'm not a huge fan of white wall tests.

But I do like beams to be round and therefore the N2 does it for me over the MN15.

The MN16 is twice the Lumens and that means the area of the beam is twice as big but more importantly, because the filament is shorter and fatter, the beam is more round (still oval) but not "bar-like".

Getting hold of N2 Lamps has been mentioned as rather difficult at the moment. By getting the KT4 with both it's lamps for the M3/L6 I believe you are making the right choice. The N2 is icing on the cake.

Al

rlhess

Enlightened

Thanks, Al,

I have two N2 lamps--one in my SRTH and a spare. Guess I'll hold on to them.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

Richard

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
...The N2 is icing on the cake.

[/ QUOTE ]

That icing is delicious, I just had some outside after Thanksgiving dinner. Yummmmm!

Brightnorm