New method of heat management of P60 drop ins for G series (and other polymer) hosts

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
Hey guys, I've been working on a simple DIY solution to allow better heat sinking of P60 drop ins to Polymer hosts. When I first installed a drop in in my G2 I also swapped on a metal head however I really coldnt imagine it doing much, my metal body light's heads get much hotter than the G2's metal head when testing with the same drop in. I was looking for a simple DIY type solution that anyone could do and I've came up with some testing methods and started to experiment.

In the end the best results I found was also the simplest. I drilled 3 6.42mm holes in the threaded portion of the body, the holes are just above the o-ring and evenly spaced, I then wrapped the drop in in aluminum tape (copper would even be better) and made it as tight as I could and pushed it in. I then filled the 3 holes to the top with AA and screwed down the head.

The results-
for all testing a mini k-type thermocouple was taped to the head and measurements are taken after 10 minutes. Drop in is a XM-L @ 1.6A. Meter is my ExTech ex420 DMM.

Baseline- no cooling, drop in was wrapped in tape but G2 body is un-modified. Starting temp 85*, ending 94*

baseline w/ cooling- same as above but the light is placed in front of a fan. Starting 84*, ending 95*

as you can see the head is absorbing very little heat, now the results after my simple 10 minute mod.

Test 1, no cooling- starting 85*, ending 118*

test 2, cooling- starting 84*, ending 107*.

To me it seems quite obvious the mod did help to improve heat transfer and like I set out to do it was extremely simple, I don't have any more AA at the moment so I'm not going to take it apart again but I'd like to continue testing, I'd like to get readings with just the holes with no AA but that'll have to wait for now.

Any thoughts or opinions? The function of the flashlight is 100%, water proof-ness was in no way effected nor were the integrity of the head->body threads.

Last edited:

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
Yes I know but untill I can get some more AA I'm not going to take the head back off, its 3 simple holes drilled in the base of the threads. Had it been more in depth I would have taken pics along the way but since it was so easy and quick I didn't stop to take any. I will get some more AA this week so I can continue my testing as well as replace the AA after I remove the head again to take a pic.