NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review request:Xtar Sirius series.

Smile Review request:Xtar Sirius series.

The Xtar Sirius series which is the WK40,WK41 and WK42 has been released and is at sale at many dealers yet i have not seen any reviews of those lights. I have done searching but i have not been able to find any reviews of these.I would like to see a review of these lights, especially the WK40 AA2 light,and preferably with pics and maybe even better with a movie clip.

Does anyone has a review of these lights coming?
    LED: Olight I1 EOS,Olight S1,S1R,S2,S10R,S10RII,S15R,S20R,S30R,S30RII,S30R Javelot,Nitecore SRT7,Sunwayman V20C,Sunwayman R10A,FourSevens Atom AL,Fenix TK75 2015,Crelant CH10, and more

Default Re: Review request:Xtar Sirius series.

Thank you for the link,Shelm!

I used translate,and then i read the entire review.That was a great review of the WK41 including pics. The reviewer gave very positive feedback about the light.

Now i am still looking for reviews of the the WK40 and the WK42.Can anyone helpful provide with links?
    LED: Olight I1 EOS,Olight S1,S1R,S2,S10R,S10RII,S15R,S20R,S30R,S30RII,S30R Javelot,Nitecore SRT7,Sunwayman V20C,Sunwayman R10A,FourSevens Atom AL,Fenix TK75 2015,Crelant CH10, and more

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by GordoJones88 View Post
    Why So Serious?
    I am not so serious. Eager is the right word.

Quote Originally Posted by GordoJones88 View Post
    Why So Serious?
    + 1

It's XTAR only.
    Even though labels such as XTAR, CRELANT and NIWALKER lights are promoted on CPF with sponsored reviews, i wouldn't bother further. Maybe i act like a snob, but to me these three labels a.o. don't compete in the same league as the established CPF brands: Fenix, Foursevens, Eagletac, Armytek, and Zebralight. (Did i omit Nitecore? Oops, my bad. No sorry. Nitecore *ucks. I own the TM15, so i know lol.)

Siriusly, who cares about XTAR flashlights wth??
    Last edited by shelm; 07-07-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
    I am not so serious. Eager is the right word.
    Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    + 1

There is also a German Sirius flashlight. I wasn't impressed. Decent Osram LED though.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

I don`t know how to translate the link...but the beam quality looks good...run time seems good too. I have the 123 light on order...thought it would be here already...but when I called to ask if there was a hangup, was told one of the batteries I had ordered was out of stock but it was now in and the order was going out the door. So I expect it here Tuesday or so. Don`t let these guy`s get to you with thier assumptions and guesses...it might be a nice low priced sleeper light.

I will make a few comments when I get the light...won`t have any pictures though

Oh, and I have two Nitecore lights...an old D10 with the Golden Dragon plus emitter and a "Cobra" EC25w...the D10 still works perfectly and the Cobra...just one fun light...I use it way more than my Zebralight SC600...love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbeams3 View Post
    I don`t know how to translate the link...but the beam quality looks good...run time seems good too. I have the 123 light on order...thought it would be here already...but when I called to ask if there was a hangup, was told one of the batteries I had ordered was out of stock but it was now in and the order was going out the door. So I expect it here Tuesday or so. Don`t let these guy`s get to you with thier assumptions and guesses...it might be a nice low priced sleeper light.

I will make a few comments when I get the light...won`t have any pictures though
    I also think that these lights might be low priced sleeper lights. I looked at the beamshots of the WK41 in the review that was linked in the beginning of the thread,and the beam was nice without any trace of green tint and the lights runtime and overall specs looks good.I won´t let me be affected by any negative assumptions and guesses of anyone who has not actually handled any of the Sirius lights in person. That´s why i am seeking for reviews by users who can give facts about the lights.

Hope that you receive your 123 light soon. Then you can give some comments of what you think about it´s performance.

This is my second Xtar flashlight. The first was the wk50, was a decent flashlight, but the wk41 is at a higher step.
    At the same level as the EagleTac D25A clicky and a little (very little) under the SC52.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevilux View Post
    This is my second Xtar flashlight. The first was the wk50, was a decent flashlight, but the wk41 is at a higher step.
    At the same level as the EagleTac D25A clicky and a little (very little) under the SC52.

Sunwayman wins the beauty contest...XTAR looks like it would be the most comfortable in the pocket...Zebralight looks...

How do you find the Xtar on the 30LM setting? Is the beam very usable on that level? How do you find the tint?
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 07-07-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Hi.
    30 lumens are very useful at home or in a small job in a garage.
    For me the best is the distribution of modes, are well balanced. Perhaps I would have preferred 1-20-60-150 L (but 3-30-60-150 is also ok).
    Tint is cold, but not blue. A little cooler than the SC52 and colder than in the SW C15A.

Thanks for your advice guys
    Unfortunately I do not expect the Wk40 2xAA. This has been my first agreement with a manufacturer and only asked for the Wk41.

The data about Wk40 AA2 that I can see

the runtime is pretty good but I worry the power. Only 1230cd and 220 lumens is a bit low, with 14500 battery in WK41 I measure 2300cd and 890cd with NiMH.
    It's a shame to think only in the runtime. Even so it will be interesting one 2xAA with low and very low battery warning.

Ok, got the 123 light, XTAR WK42, a few minutes ago out of the mail box. First thought was the same as when I got the Olight S10 Baton...wow tiny.

Led appears perfectly centered.

The clip contacts the head so you must hold it away while screwing the light apart...and back together or risk scratching. Also the clip is not reversible...so no go for a quick baseball cap head lamp.

Threads are not square...would be my preference.

Put a Eagletac batt in there I ordered with it and turned it on...to turn it off you must press and hold for a few moments...I find this a bit irritating as I am used to a quick click...so I tend to bump it to the next power setting before remembering the press and hold concept. Might get used to it over time. Switch itself is soft, comfortable and has a nice little click to it.

Anodising looks to be flawless...knurling is good, feels good....nice grip, without being a file in the pocket.

To bright around here to make comments on brightness, beam quality, tint...will later tonight. Maybe a high mode run time test...to low batt warning light first turn on. At which time it will be switched to the 30 lumen setting and continued till warning light begins to flash, to mimic a real world "oh shit" experience.

Battery is charging now.
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 07-18-2013 at 02:14 PM.

I wish the WK41 had a moonlight mode.

Default Review request:Xtar Sirius series.

It's a good thing I speak Spanish!

Ok, high mode, 190 lumen (not turbo) run time test started at 9:10 EST... 7:10 forum time. Brand new fully charged Eagletac 750ma batt. I have a fan cooling it just in case....don`t intend to hold it for duration. Test will run till low batt warning light comes on. Then it will be switched to the 30 lumen mode and continued till the warning light flashes at which point I will stop the test.

Care to place any bets gentlemen? Claim is it will run on a 600ma batt for 75 minutes on high...keep in mind this is (suppose) to be a 750ma batt...and the warning light they claim will come on at 25% power remaining...winner gets bragging rights.
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 07-08-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Ok, red light came on at 10:30...after 1 hour 20 minutes (80 minutes)...changed to the 30 lumen level....

The red light remains on after changing the level...thought it might go out once the power was reduced and the voltage sag removed.

Regarding the beam itself...as one would expect it has a large hotspot. Smooth transition as would also be expected from the lite orange peel reflector. Beam tint is good, no glaring cat piss green, nothing strange. I found the 30 lumen level to be great...what I was hoping for, as one of the big draws for me was the claimed 30 lumen run time of 20 hours off a 600ma Li-ion...excellent if true. Should translate to 25 hours on a 750ma batt, by the numbers.

Ok, the red light started blinking at 11:25...gave an additional 55 minutes...think we can safely say it would have given an extra 1 hour at least if allowed to continue. Out of curiosity I bumped up the power...went to the high level, hit the button again and the light turned off and would not restart. One thing...it would appear to me the red light comes on when there is somewhere around 10% (or less) power left...not the claimed 25%.

Next test...does it really run for 20 or more hours off a Li-ion at 30 lumen...we shall find out. Other new battery installed...turned on ...and will track it..just not in one run...start time, 11:45 est

So far, I am liking this light. Only really complaint so far is the amount of time the button must be pressed to shut it down.
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 07-08-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Hi
    Small video comparison XTAR WK41 with Eneloop and 14500

(Someone please advise me if I should not upload my videos, thanks guys)
    Last edited by Trevilux; 07-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Woke up at 4:45 and the red light is already on...only 5 hours later. Will continue till blinking if I am awake to catch it...

Edit: Switched batteries to see if I could tell if the light had dimmed. It had...when I switched back, the red light did not come back on. Leaves me wondering if the "Battery recognition circuit" they claim it has might have detected it at a standard 123 cell due to the now lower voltage. So I have discontinued the test to avoid possible damage to the battery. Will repeat the test later this evening. For the moment it looks like the 20 hours on 30 lumen with a 600ma battery claim is not correct, not even close. Only other possibility I can think of is that maybe I did not tighten/screw the light together tight enough and had a poor connection.
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 07-09-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Hi BadBeams3
    Fits ok rcr123a protected? What brands of batteries you tried it?

In many of the battery/lumens claims, there seems to be some wishful thinking. Here's why:

If you start with the assumption that at best the emitter is good for about 120 luments/watt OTF this will all start to make sense.
    If the output is quoted at 30 lumens, then it is going to require about .25 watts (250 milliwatts) to power the LED. It is a given that the driver isn't 100% efficient, but we will ignore that for a moment.

The rub comes in when calculate the total energy required to achieve the specification. In this case .25 watts x 20 hours, or 5 watt hours.
    What is the energy capacity of 600mAh 16340? about .6 x 3.7 or about 2.3 watt hours. In other words the capacity of the battery can only [provide the necessary power for 30 lumen output for a little less
    than 10 hours. The 'energy balance' calculation provides an upper limit on what is attainable.

This isn't rocket science, it is pretty elementary electrical engineering.

One result of this sort of calculation is that when looking at claims of X lumens for Y hours, I almost always calculate what the energey requirement is x lumens for y hours, and compare it to the known energy capacity of the battery system. It is pretty common for the specification to exceed the battery capacity by a substantial margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevilux View Post
    Hi BadBeams3
    Fits ok rcr123a protected? What brands of batteries you tried it?
    Hi, yes protected fits, at least the two 750ma Eagletac`s that I ordered, My original thoughts on the 20 hour run time claim at 30LM were...doubtful. Think that would be a record for this configuration. Also it did not add up...the 2 AA model claims 15 hours at 30 LM and that sounds realistic...the 1 AA model, the one you have, claims a 6 hour run time @ 30LM off a 14500. Also realistic. The 16340 run time claim of 20 hours @ 30LM...simply did not fit or make sense. Here are the claimed run times for the WK42 http://goinggear.com/catalog/product...4/image/17736/

My run time tests on 30LM are showing what I would expect in this class of light...standard-ish (good) run time on 30LM...but no record breaking. I think someone at XTAR just made a honest mistake in their math calculations. Would be nice if they corrected their advertisement...it is very misleading. Makes them look bad, and there`s no reason for it...the correct 30LM run time is in reality good/normal for this class...
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 07-09-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Ok, so here is my quick summary of the WK42...from a non-reviewer...just a grumpy old flashaholic`s comments.

Don`t like:

1: Press and hold to turn off...just to problematic. Would have preferred press and hold to change modes and click to turn off.

2: Choice of threading...a bit difficult to screw together.

3: No way to override the last level used mode memory (such as in force it into low directly from off). This means if the light shuts down from a low battery while in high, you cannot restart by going to low in a pinch.

4: Misleading/incorrect 30LM run time claim.

5: Clip is not reversible

Could use improvement:

1: Low battery warning light comes on a little late for me...would prefer a bit more warning time.

What I like:

1: Low battery warning light. Despite it`s flaws it does serve as a warning. I think all LI-ion lights should have one.

2: My sample has a nice beam quality and tint

3: Nice build quality, overlooking the choice of threads.

4: Good run times...

5: Small size...fits comfortably in the pocket...has a nice look about it.

6: Price...nice bang for the buck

And personally, I also like that they choose to limit it`s tubo output rather than go all out like some lights...favors run time, is more predictable, and 300 lumen in a light this small is just fine for me. I have other larger lights for higher outputs.

My final thoughts: This light is not outstanding in any way...nothing remarkable/special about it. But it is a good all around solid performer and has a low price...and I like that. Think if I had it to do over again I would look at the AA WK41....similar performance....maybe a tad better, but with more versatility.
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 07-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Nice review! It looks like the WK42 is overall a nice flashlight for the money!

Btw,does the WK42 have any lockoutmode?
    Last edited by NorthernStar; 07-09-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: question added

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
    Nice review! It looks like the WK42 is overall a nice flashlight for the money!

Btw,does the WK42 have any lockoutmode?
    Thanks Northernstar! Next closest light, price wise, that is competitive in my mind is the Olight S10...also a very nice light...but no low battery warning...and a hit or miss lottery (more miss) regarding tint...a lot of greenies. The S10 is brighter I think...but with a shorter run time...has a magnetic tail cap thats nice...also a tiny light...runs about $10 more. I personally really like having a low batt warning light..a lot...so I tilt my hat slightly towards the WK42...

No electronic lockout that I know of. But a slight turn of the body disconnects the power and locks it out
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 07-09-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Ok, starting the 30LM run test again...1:30

Edit: test stopped at 1:45 after 15 minutes lol...had to take care of some business. Turned light back on at 5:30...

Edit 10:00..red light came on after a total of 4 hours 45 minutes

Edit: 10:55...red light began to blink...total 5 hours and 40 minutes ...end of test.
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 07-10-2013 at 04:28 AM.

You get a low enough runtime 30 lumens
    In the WK41 I've only tested 150L and 60 L, with these results

This afternoon I'll try test to 30 lumens to compare with your wk42.
    Last edited by Trevilux; 07-09-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: wrong language

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast