Issue with Thrunite TN12

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a Thurnite TN12 a while ago for camping and cycling. It seemed to work fine at the beginning but now it flickers on high. It's only on high when I use a single 18650. Tried two 16340 after that and it won't even turn on then. Did all the usual stuff like cleaning and relubing, changing the tailcape clicky etc. but that didn't help in any way. I saw one thread where somebody had an issue with his TN12 but didn't get a solution from there. For me it seems that it's just a bad sample.

So anybody got the same problem and maybe a solution?

thanks
rayman

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine had the same problem. It was the retaining ring that holds the switch in place. IIRC it is left-hand threads, and it will back out each time you tighten the tail-cap. Use some thread lock and get it tight.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Mine had the same problem. It was the retaining ring that holds the switch in place. IIRC it is left-hand threads, and it will back out each time you tighten the tail-cap. Use some thread lock and get it tight.

I recently discovered that the Thrunite Neutron 2C's switch retaining ring has LEFT HANDED THREADS.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, will try to fix that ;).

rayman

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't solve the problem unfortunately. I have to send it in ;(.

rayman

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I'd try cleaning the contacts on the head and at the end of the tube before sending it. They sometimes get too dirty to make a proper contact and as this is a powerful light it may cause voltage drop on high and work on low modes.

EDIT : sorry, I didn't read your post fully. I guess you've already tried cleaning the contacts.

I once had a dead TN12 that never worked on arrival. I asked for a replacement and a replacement was sent without asking me to return the dead one. I tried the dead one with the new ones tube and it worked surprisingly well. I changed back the tubes again and I had two working lights instead of a dead one.

Can be the driver lose, a speck got into a contact etc.

Last edited:

squid223

Newly Enlightened
I know its not always cool to resurrect a threat, but I wanted to +1 this... I was ready to return my TN12 2014 when the tail switch stopped working after 2 months. But as soon as I read this and tightened the retaining ring, all's well. Thanks!