I want the perfect 2x Li-ion P60. What should I get/build? Lux-RC 334?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two multi-cell lights I need P60 modules for:
1. Surefire C3 (18mm bored)
2. Surefire 9P (18mm bored, extended to 2x 18650 length)

Here are my criteria:
  1. Take up to 8.4 volts or more (remember, I want to use 2x secondaries)
  2. it would be nice if I could run it on a single Li-ion rechargeable in an emergency (not required by any means)
  3. Prefer triple LEDs pushed hard
  4. either three XM-L2s with optics or XP-E2s with optics
  5. single mode or programmed extremely well so that I can cycle on/off when needed and it not jump to the next mode
  6. option for me to reprogram it on my own (not required, but it'd be nice!)
  7. I would rather not spend over $130 per P60

all that being said, I'm assuming my only option is the Lux-RC 334? I found a PDF of the "334 Subminiature High-Efficiency All-In-One 3UP LED Engine" sitting on my computer (the PDF itself is dated "April 2012" so I don't know how-- if at all-- relevant it may or may not be) and it looks pretty good. It can do up to 9.5 Vin and it appears it pumps 1.5A to each individual LED (correct?)

I think that 334 is what the Oveready/Torchlab v4.0 engines use, but I'm not sure.

So far as interface, I really don't need anything super complex, but would rather have something like so:
  • press and hold to change modes (maybe a high/med/low setup but you have to press and hold for ~3 secs to change)
  • rapid on/off clicking won't change modes
  • somehow have a means of instant access to a disorienting strobe mode

one thing I particularly like on seeing the Lux-RC 334's datasheet is that it has the "stand-by with flash" which can function as the "in the dark finder" which I think is awesome.

so I guess I should probably go with the 334 for my dream P60? would it meet my above requirements for UI somehow?

P.S.: I've noticed it has said "Coming soon" for a while now on the DIY products page for the Lux-RC drivers. How much are they in USD?

Thanks guys!

el_Pablo

Enlightened
one thing I particularly like on seeing the Lux-RC 334's datasheet is that it has the "stand-by with flash" which can function as the "in the dark finder" which I think is awesome.

Sadly this fonction will only work with the two switch model, it need to be powered on to work, with the power pulse model (the one you want to order for a single switch flashlight) it wont work (or when battery too low, or overheating)