Old School Pineapple

Tofty

Enlightened
When i saw the PEU Pineapple E-seiries compatible bodies available at Illumination Supply i just had to get one.
At the time i had no particular use for such a thing but it looked like such a fascinating oddity i snapped up two.

Since then i discovered the maker's website which explained a bit more about it's origin and fruition, helped by this forum many years ago:
http://peu.net/neoca/index.php?page=The_Pineapple_Body

On the same site i found a photo gallery of CPF member's builds using the pineapple body:
http://peu.net/neoca/index.php?page=The_Pineapple_Gallery

This is where i eventually got the inspiration for the build i am attempting using my pineapple.
I also learned that, in my opinion at least, the pineapple body doesn't go well with very much at all; a lot of the pictures in the gallery are of surefire, arc and mcgizmo legos that don't complement the pineapple bodies tapering shape.
Do please have a look at the gallery and see if you agree with me or not.

There were however a few lights that i thought looked pretty good, they are from a forum member called Wave_particle, there are his photos from the gallery that i thought were close to what i was after:

The shape of this head and tail, unlike most of the other ones. complements the body well with the continuation of the fins along the head and the subtle taper increasing to 1 1/4" as the fins run out.
The tail's milled grip slots match the body's mill work well and the wide yet spacious flared end adds the right amount of presence.

I think the body in red looks even better.

Although the head and tail are very different on this one, the colour scheme really catches my eye.

I therefore thought about combining what's great about these lights; something close to the first two pictures with the parts coloured like the third picture.
This would mean working in aluminium rather than stainless or titanium as i suspect the heads and tails are in the first two pictures.
I am planning to install a 3A triple nichia engine into the head so aluminium's superior thermal properties are what i need anyway.
Luckily member Kenom is offering a type II anodising service so i can get the parts coated when they're done.

This is what i've done so far:

I think it's turned out pretty well.
I'm not so sure the 'TOFTY' text was such a great idea now, but it was the first cutting operation i had to do so i didn't get an opportunity to look at an otherwise finished head and decide then.
Hopefully being anodised black should help it look less conspicuous and awkward.
The thickness of the cut was supposed to match that of the bodies mill work but that doesn't really come across.

The head is hollow to allow a custom drop-in to be installed, due to the finning at the base of the head the drop-in needs to be installed into the top.
There is a second thread in the top of the head under the thread for the bezel ring that will allow a retaining ring to secure the drop-in in place, similar to the system used in Fivemega's 26650 Cooly Hosts.

I hope this has been of interest, please feel free to comment constructively about the build, be it positively or negatively.
I shall be updating this thread as things develop.

PS. Despite everything i've said previously i rather like my surefire pineapple lego (although it's not going to stay like it, custom 18350 body in the works):

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with mine. Here's a picture of my Pineapple with a Vital Gear head and an E2d tail. I rather like the way it looks with the head, but, want a tail that's more like yours.

4c0444a9133202fe28e23627723016e4.jpg

Tofty

Enlightened
Thanks guys, glad you like it.

PPC i've never seen the vital gear head before, what's in it?
I know what you mean about the tail, it seems wrong to have knurling on that little bit and nowhere else on the light.
I think the tailcap in some of the original pictures, that i based mine on, is a mcgizmo design, but all of that was well before my time so i'm not really sure.

As stated in the first post i've been making an 18350 body for the head and tail shown in the last picture to replace the black pineapple.
It's now all finished apart from the anodising and here it is:

A little unfortunately the knurling tool i have gives a slightly different pattern to the standard surefire knurling on the tailcap, but apart from that it went quite well.
The e-series body shouldn't really be bored to take the 18350 batteries as parts of the walls end up being about 0.4mm thick and that's with a shallower head o-ring channel, i'd hate to try boring an original e-series body.

The knurling i achieved on the body has to be my best ever and it's a bit of a shame i had to sand it down from how it originally looked to better match the tailcap.

This didn't feel rough or spiky just really grippy, quite comfortable in fact.
I'd written off knurling due to some of my earlier attempts but i think i'll have another go soon.

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a Vital Gear head intended to allow you to use incandescent P60 drop-ins with the FB-2 body. It's actually part of a flashlight, but, I got it as a head only. Currently it has a reflector in it and that's all.

lightcycle1

Enlightened
first ones pictured in the blue and red are beautiful.

works of art. very very nice.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

SDmtnbkr

Newly Enlightened
Wow that's perfect!! .....feel like making a few more?? lol :twothumbs

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ironic that someone named Dr Jekyll would bring this thread back from the dead! lol

That tail looks like ones JasonH made a while back?? But not really sure.