GE Brand Flashlights ?

DavidTHR

Enlightened
We needed to pickup a few last minute items to get ready for the Thanksgiving dinner. We went to a small supermarket (the only one open today), and while there, I noticed a display of GE brand flashlights! I had to take a quick "look see".

To me, GE is, in general, a top-notch company, but these flashlights appeared to be (in my opinion) JUNK. They appeared to be made of cheap plastic and used 2 "D-cell" batteries. They looked like a flashlight from the 1970s or 1980s.

Why would GE put they name on such a "low end" flashlight?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up four, yellow, "industrial" style, GE, 2D flashlights at fifty cents each. I put the, original, PR2 lamp into the spare holder and a xenon 2.4v in the head. With the "faceted" reflector, alkaline D cells, and xenon lamps they have a usable and decent spot. Yeah, they're cheap but are worth even a couple bucks for non-critical needs.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I think there is a niche for "low end" flashlights -- but my question is why would a company like GE put their name on a such "low end" flashlight?

The GE name and logo, I believe, would be a much better fit on a middle to upper quality flashlight.

Just my 2 cents...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
GE's consumer electronics are cheap too - they have a higher-than-average failure rate. Avoid RCA & GE if you desire reliability. I guess they make better jet engines.

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened
GE has sold some businesses over the years and, along with the sale, have granted limited use of the GE logo or "meatball". These lights were probably made by someone with a limited use agreement.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
When we bought our house one of the stipulations was that NONE of the installed appliances be GE. After having an "insiders view", I wouldn't trust their consumer products as far as I can throw them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

rone7

Newly Enlightened
For the last 30 years GE dishwasher have gotten glasses CLEAN. MUCH cleaner than most dishwashers. I bought an 2003 that works awesome. People with other brands ask what we do to get glasses so clean. The "insiders view" may say they are crap, time will tell. I'm mostly a whirlpool fan .Have we gotten off topic enough?