EagleTac D25C losing memory reset

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. My ET D25C, which I've been carrying daily for a couple of months, has evidently lost its memory reset. Whether on a 3.7v rechargeable or 3v primary, the light now remembers last mode, but no longer resets to low (or moon, if I'm in that mode) after being off for a few seconds. In practical terms that means after a couple of cycles through low-med-high I get into the blinky options and have to go through ALL of them before getting back to l-m-h (unless I just want turbo - that still works fine with the head screwed all the way on). When you want to check on your sleeping kids before you go to bed that's a real pain, and disturbs others. Has anyone else had this happen? I would just send it to ET, but since they require shipping back to China (at about half the price of the light), I'm wondering whether I can figure out how to fix this without a return.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try cleaning the threads and all contact points in the head. I doubt if this will work...but I have no other ideas.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
dusty, you know that mode memory can be toggled?

Programmable Features
1) Moonlight output - dim or
increase the entire output range
of the group 1 output. Toggle this
setting starting with head loosen,
turn on the light, and then repeat
tight and loose for three times.
2) mode memory* - remebers the
last output in group 1. To toggle
this setting, with head tighten,
turn on the light, and repeat loose
and tight for three times

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
Yes, and I often toggle between the two modes, but even though I can still toggle to get either "low" or "moonlight" I still am not getting the standard reset to whichever "low" mode should be available. It worked fine for a few months of everyday use, but now it's stuck in moving on from whatever position it was turned off in, instead of restarting at the first "low" mode.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get into the blinky options and have to go through ALL of them before getting back to l-m-h (unless I just want turbo - that still works fine with the head screwed all the way on).
I can't help you with the mode memory but would like to bring to your attention that should you inadvertently enter the blinky modes, you don't need to cycle all the way through them to get back to the reg l-m-h modes. All you need to do is just soft press and hold the switch for a couple seconds and it will revert back the the beginning again... l-m-h.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried batteries other than the ones you have on hand? My D25C does the same thing when I switch from a surefire cr123 to an eagletac 16340. Maybe another brand of cr123 will help...? I'm just throwing out random ideas. :(

T45

Enlightened
I thought my Eagletac D25A2 was malfunctioning since it had only 2 modes: low, High, and High again. With An email to Eagletac USA(yes, they have a US division), I learned the Lithium L91s I was using caused this behavior. I Put some alkalines in, and yes, all 3 modes were there. As the Lithiums deplete, all 3 modes will become apparent. OK. Back to lithiums it is. I will Never ever trust alkalines in light I want.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
After toggling several times from both head positions it's working again. I think Shelm was correct: I was in "mode memory" but wasn't easily able to toggle out of it. I cleaned the contacts and now it seems to work fine (thanks, bad beams). Also, thanks LiteMe: I had forgotten about the soft reset (it doesn't work in mode memory mode, but does in regular mode). The D25C is a great little light with a lot of features - if you can remember how to get to them.... :)

Thanks again for all the great info!

Jonnor

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a little off-topic but can someone explain to me if my mode memory function normally?

When I have it activated it remembers the last output when changing from head loose to tight and back, but not when I turn the light off. Every time the lights has been off (or I hold the button in for a little) it comes on in low. Also when memory mode is activated my sequence changes so that it just goes low-med-high and then strobe, ie not l-m-h-l-m-h-strobe as when memory is deactivated. Is this normal? And if so, what is the practical use of this function?

radiopej

Enlightened
I'm getting the same issue as Jonnor. I use PowerPlus 3V lithiums. On top of not retaining the mode, sometimes when mode memory is on it just starts in a flashing mode. Ideally I'd like to be able to have it remember the low/medium modes when I activate memory.

I've emailed EagleTac and all they have said so far is pretty much that it should work. It's a great torch, but I would like a little more QC before shipment to make sure it works how it should.