george bush secret trip to iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think that was great of him what a moral boooster,the first lady didnt even know he was going he flew right into bagdad. kinda scary though.but im glad he did it

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, ol George probably pissed off Laura some how and decided he needed an excuse to let her cool off for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GregR

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Ha, ol George probably pissed off Laura some how and decided he needed an excuse to let her cool off for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GregR

[/ QUOTE ] LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really like George, he's a good 'ol boy from Texas.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Whatever his motivation was, it is a nice jesture, however our boys and girls have no business over there to begin with. That's a different topic however.

[/ QUOTE ]
a very good gesture indeed. they seemed so jazzed to see him .before they saw him some one made a a noucment like here is some one with more authrity and there walks in bush they all cheered and stood up.i hope there all home soon.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray, I couldn't disagree more. But, like you said, that's for another thread.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
Ray, I couldn't disagree more. But, like you said, that's for another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why mention it yet again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was very surprised to find out that the darling of the left, hillary decided to spend HER Thanksgiving with a few "hand picked" the troops in Afghanistan. Unfortunately for her, President Bush's appearance in Iraq kind of eclipsed her little stunt.

Just saw a short clip of hillary's Thanksgiving.

There she was, with a bare handful of people, very somber and ALL looking like they would rather be ANYWHERE else, with ANYONE else.

Compare that to President Bush surrounded by hundreds of adoring soldiers, and EVERYONE thinking it is probably the high point of their lives.

Great campaign commercial footage; All they have to do is run the clips side by side. Don't need to say a word. The expressions on peoples faces tell it all.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Well, without getting into the political motivations on either side it makes me uneasy to see a president and a senator enter a potentially hazardous situation regardless of how good security may be, or seem to be.

Brightnorm

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
"it makes me uneasy to see a president and a senator enter a potentially hazardous situation regardless of how good security may be, or seem to be."

He is the Commander in Chief and wants to be with his troops this is a good and noble gesture.

She's expendable.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
"....She's expendable."

Let's ease-up here folks! No one is expendable in the way thats being implied here.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
The motivation for both hillary and President Bush going was essentially the same; it was done for political reasons.

I honestly believe that the difference is that it was ONLY for political purposes in hillary's case. It is well known that she despises "those who Serve". However, I believe that President Bush genuinely loves, respects and appreciates the troops.

And I think that a President that does something like this, even if there is a greater risk to life than there was, is worth the risk. It sends a heck of a strong message to the world on the courage and resolutness (is that a word?) of America and American leadership.... especially when the leaders of the "opposition" are afraid to to show their faces in public.

Face it, no politician is REALLY that important as an individual; they are really only symbols, no matter how much you love or hate the person, and the loss of any one or two doesn't mean much in a practical means, only on a psychological level.

It is the "system" that really matters, and that will go on even if some of the most important "players" are suddenly removed from the equation.

(I do however worry that the system is rotting from within, and THAT is what will destroy us as a nation.)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
that realy lifted the troops spirts .i realy do think he does it because he cares and respects the troops. i admire him for that.all americans should of course repect and admire are troops and veterens .

MichiganMan

Enlightened
You can pinch your face up on sour grapes and grouse about the cost, the security, the political benefit (because of course there's just no way the noble act of a politician we don't like could possibly be driven by more than the basest possible motive) The inescapable fact remains that this was a damn fine thing to do for the troops, and it was a good thing he did it.

They deserve it. He did it. Live with it.

dark star

Enlightened
I think it was a brave thing for him to do. What with all the Weapons of Mass Destruction over there.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
MM-

I'm sure there are a lot of people grousing about just that, and more. But I haven't really seen that in this thread (yet). Even the people here that dislike President Bush are being pretty supportive of his visit if not the reasons for it.

Over at DemocraticUnderground they are saying that this was actually staged in the US and that the President is too cowardly to actually go to Iraq.... THEY deserve your scorn and irritation, but so far on this thread everyone seems to be playing nice.

Edited: Well, except for that last little bit of snide sarcasm. I guess I spoke too soon.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Silviron, you're a brave man. I've been in DU and the venom is palpable. OTOH I'm comfortable over at FreeReublic.com so no big suprise there. My point stands that sometimes you have to give people credit when they do good things, even if you reeeeeally don't like them. But you're right, people here are generably reasonable, including this thread. Once again, no suprise there.

(and DarkStar's post got a chuckle out of me)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol ive learned long ago not to argue politics.since i read and process words kinda difenrtly i just get frustrated.in person i can give a beter debate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.