Maglite led 2d flickers and doesn't work?

american

Enlightened
Since new I've used aa to d adapter cells with 1 eneloop in each so 2.4 volts. It flickers when momentary hitting the switch this light is black. The other night I took 2 rayovac d out of my other 2d led mag red and the black nothing happens doesn't work with real cells. The dummy cells it works. My red light works fine on the real batteries. What happened the light is a year old and not used much

Etsu

Enlightened
I've had something similar with a 4D Maglite. The problem is that when you use D-cell adapters, they're slightly longer or the positive end sticks out more than real D cells.

Over time, this compresses the battery spring deep inside the Maglite (in the battery tube, but near the light bulb). After awhile, it becomes too compressed to make contact when you go back to using regular D cells.

The solution is to take apart the Maglite and stretch the spring back out. Or use a long tool to reach down the tube and do it, if you don't want to take out the switching mechanism to get at it. Once stretched back out, your Maglite will be fine with regular D cells.

Etsu

Enlightened
Hmmm... have you tried forcing the regular D-cells to squish a bit more into the battery tube? Try adding a penny to the cathode end of the battery so it forces the batteries in tighter. It's got to be a contact issue if it still works with AA's and D-cell adapters.

I presume you've tested both the D-cells to make sure they're providing enough voltage. 2-cell Maglites don't have very good regulation, and die completely when the voltage gets too low.

Last edited:

Etsu

Enlightened
Yes I've always had a penny for the aa

Try using the penny with the regular D's, and see if it works. Something has probably been squished out of place.

For a proper solution, you should probably disassemble the Maglite and inspect the contact areas for any damage. Stretch and straighten all springs, clean contacts and threads, etc. Make sure the end cap (the non anodized part) is clean where it contacts the body tube, because that provides the path for current.

Etsu

Enlightened
Did you try adding a penny to the end of the the D cells? Try two?

If it works with the adapters, but not with real cells (and you're absolutely sure the real cells are good), then it's something to do with the contact of the cells at one end or the other. Maybe the real D-cell positive end is too flat or thinner or doesn't protrude as much. Try using some light sandpaper on the cell ends to make sure there's no oxidation present. And clean your Maglite, especially the contact areas. Try a different brand of D cells, to see if slightly different dimensions of the anode helps.