AK-47 owners check in.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my first AK the other day. It is a Global Trades SSR-85B, highly thought of and sought after from what I'm told. Got a good deal, private sale from a friend. It's in new condition, the fit and finish is excellent.

I can't wait to go shooting, won't be able to 'till next week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

FYI, www.k-var.com has NEW Bulgarian polymer 30rd "waffle" mags for $9.49! Sign up for their discussion forum, you'll get a member discount in conjunction with their online order discount and the mags come out to something like $8.45 ea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif I ordered 10, hope that's enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bigcozy said:
Polytech and SAR-1. Not pretty, not incredibly accurate, but tough as nails and fun to shoot. Great buys.

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly, they just plain work. They're the Glock of the rifle world. The only pistol I consider owning are Glock's, besides my snubbie .38

I'm thinking of picking up a cheap SAR-1, pack it in cosmoline and put it away.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
I have a '47 made by Norinco, bought in the late 80's before the restrictive gun laws came into effect in Canada.

Had to dispose of all my 30-rd mags to comply with our new laws. Has anyone seen what an AK-47 look like with a 5-rd mag in it? Silly!

It's still a great gun to have, accurate, reliable, cheap ammo, simple. I had a Czech-made version on my wishlist for years, but now I sink my money into flashlights (just as fun without any laws).

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FC. said:
AK74U, I have had in my other life. No more...

[/ QUOTE ] Huh?

jtice

Flashaholic
I have two buddies with AK-47's,,,, I plan on getting on in the next few months.

One of the finest functioning firearms in the world. !

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I have two buddies with AK-47's,,,, I plan on getting on in the next few months.

One of the finest functioning firearms in the world. !

[/ QUOTE ] If you're getting a SAR-1(Romanian) you'd better do it quick. Despite rumor of them being banned, the importer and Century are arguing over price and they are currently not being imported until they reach an agreement. Some shops are already out of stock. Who knows what will happen, but I would think they would eventually start importing them again.

jtice

Flashaholic
OK, this should be interesting.

The AK is made in ALOT of places, where is the best?

I have had a chance to use a few, and saddly, I cant remember which my freind has now, but I like it the best of the ones I have used.
I will ask him next time I talk to him.

Please list your favorite AK maker, and why.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:

The AK is made in ALOT of places, where is the best?

Please list your favorite AK maker, and why.

[/ QUOTE ]The best place to ask this question is at the AK-47.net discussion forum - HERE

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I had a Polytech, but I traded it long ago for something better.... I remember buying drum mags for $19.99 and 30 round mags for $3.99... I kick myself when I traded mags for paintball gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

kz1000s1

Enlightened
If I could have any AK variant regardless of cost, it might be the Israeli Galil SAR. Of the semi-auto versions imported to the US, I have an old SOF magazine from the late '80's on the subject that ranked them: 1. Steyr-Daimler-Puch imported Maadi (mine is a newer import) 2. Yugoslavian, which is well made, has tritium night sights, and a bolt hold-open incorporated into the magazines. 3. Chinese Polytech Legend, had milled receiver.

If I were buying a new one now, it would be the current Russian made version with the plastic stocks and AK-74 muzzle brake. It's similar to their AK-100 models, has a scope mount and sells at shows for $475.
web page

Tomas

Banned
Back in '69 I had a ChiCom AK47, uh, 'donated' by one of the locals in the area I was in.

Sadly I was unable to bring it back to the states with me in '70. (Even then they were a bit twitchy about full-auto weapons.) I passed it on to one of the other guys in the unit who was staying for awhile.

That particular example was a very sloppy, poorly fitted, ugly, chewed up, poorly maintained, pitted steel and rough wood, inaccurate, but utterly reliable piece.

You could have lubed it with mud and it would have been happy. (I think that may have been it's previous maintenance ... )

I only have two long guns now: An AR-7 and an AR-15.

T_sig6.gif

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I made the mistake of checking out the AK-47.net discussion forum and have spent the last few nights looking at all the cool stuff and have only seen a fraction of it. The custom AK's are fantastic! I've been away from guns for a few years, but I can feel my wallet opening again. Oh no! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
Tough as nails is right. About as close to maintenance free as a rifle can get.

fa2bfe3f.jpg