Not Smoking...

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Ive been smoking cigarettes for 20 years (Im 38) and recently decided I want to quit. I read the easyway to quit smoking by Allan Carr and quit, with no nrt (no patch, gum or those ridiculous e cigs). Its been 5 days that I havent smoked. I had a stressfull day at work yesterday, and I still didnt smoke. Im done with that crap.
Im very proud of myself and I feel great. There are so many benefits to not smoking.
I just wanted to share my story with you guys.

It will still be challenging, but I will remain focused and determined.

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Smoking

What you just did is the most healthful thing you can do to yourself. Always remember if most people can live their normal lives without having to smoke, so can you. Keep it up and don't look back. It's admirable.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Stay strong &....:thumbsup:

maybe change the title to 'Not Smoking'

JacobJones

Enlightened

Congratulations, IMO going cold turkey is the best way to break addictions. All these patches, gums and electric cigarettes are fundamentally flawed in that they still give you nicotine, you can never be free whilst you've got that crap in your system. Keep up the good work guv

Good story, thanks for sharing it. :twothumbs

Since you've been consistent for 20 years spending money on cigarettes, start saving the amount you would have spent for the next 20. When you're 58 you'll have a nice pile of dough,, buy yourself a red sports car.

~ Chance

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened

Thanks so much guys. Sometimes I feel that I couldnt do it, without everybody telling me that its a great choice and to not look back. Its like I need to be reassured that its the right decision. Its funny...even the smokers that I tell say "you made a great choice, stick to it"...etc etc

Thanks for everybodys support. Thanks guys. I love this place.

riccardo

Enlightened
I'm sorry if I can sound rude but I believe that 5 days it's a bit early to jump around saying that you did it!!!!

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Its a good start, and I think Ive got through the hardest part. It will still be challenging, but I dont want to have to start all over again so I will keep going. I smoked over 25 cigarettes a day so 5 days is a really big deal to me. Especially because Im really getting into it, and enjoying the benefits.
Riccardo...feel free to check up on me periodically, to see how Im doing.

Last edited:

persco

Enlightened
Ive been smoking cigarettes for 20 years (Im 38) and recently decided I want to quit. I read the easyway to quit smoking by Allan Carr and quit, with no nrt (no patch, gum or those ridiculous e cigs). Its been 5 days that I havent smoked. I had a stressfull day at work yesterday, and I still didnt smoke. Im done with that crap.
Im very proud of myself and I feel great. There are so many benefits to not smoking.
I just wanted to share my story with you guys.

Congratulations! Keep going and never start again.

I quit about 7 years ago (when I was 37). I had also found Carr's book very helpful for quitting. I smoked for over 20 years before finally quitting. In the end it was really not that hard. I never miss it.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Wow, one more healthier person in the world! :D As a non-smoker, I must say that you've done a great choice not only for yourself, but for those around you who don't smoke as well! Okay, I am a non-smoker, but ... as a teenager I also tried it and I must say I smoked for a year or so before I decided I should stop ... it seemed to be easy to do it straight away, but then sometimes I would dream about smoking, I'd crave it even years later lol. But time helps, indeed. It's over and back in the past :) Good luck to you with your healthy choice!

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I was 14 when i started to smoke a pack a day.I am now 32 and i quit a few years ago i cant even remember when exactly anymore but it took me over a year to forget about smoking.I used gum to quit and i chewed that stuff for atleast 5 months.I wish you the best of luck in your ordeal :) its sure worth the effort.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best advice I got when I was quitting decades ago was not to feel like a total failure if I slipped up for some reason and started again. I'm not trying to give you a reason to start again but it was very good advice for me.

Quitting smoking is a learned experience and most can not just quit once and get it right. Those who feel like a total failure for not making it cold turkey are less likely to change their program to reflect what they've already learned, adapt and give it another try. That's a shame.

Good luck.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrads man.
i smoked for 25 years, quit about 4 years ago, no patches, gums or books. i don't want to smoke even when ppl around me smoke, i don't mind the smoke, actually i like the smell of it, but i hate how clothes smell after being in a place where ppl smoke. back when i smoked i didn't even notced the smell on clothes

wasteoid

Newly Enlightened
Hi raptechnican,

1st I rarely post on things like this. However I am 3 years 10 months in after cold turkey, and you are doing the right thing letting everyone know. I made a point of telling friends and co-workers, as I am a big carachter and was intent on making my friends keep me honest.

Good on you mate, it was the best thing I ever did stopping and the worst days work starting.

Good luck with it tell every one you can and stay strong

Chris

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did for myself. I was around the same age, 37 I think. What I did was, I slowly cut back to about half of what I usually smoked in a day, about a pack.. and then quit cold turkey from there. It worked. I still remember there was a noticeable difference in the way I felt. I felt less fatigued, more energy. Breathed easier. Food tasted better, to name a few.

For most, it usually 2 wks plus before you can say you have it under control. That's how I felt too. I never picked up another one to this day and have no desire to either. Second hand smoke smells absolutely nasty to me now. I can hardy stand it.

Keep it going and good luck. You'll thank yourself later down the road, many times over!