Dereelight DBS with de-domed XP-G2 and pre-collimator lens

Vinz

Newly Enlightened
Hi, folks!

I just finished modding my old Dereelight DBS with the aspherical lens head.

Here are some details:

• hand selected XP-G2 R5-1A on a copper MCPCB without dielectric. Soldered under slight pressure using best Mundorf Silber/Gold solder (contains silver and gold).
  • de-domed the LED and equipped it with an new condenser lens (similar to positive meniscus) with an radiation angle of 75-80°.
  • new solid heatsink/pill with 5mm aluminium between the MCPCB and the driver. Polished contact surface.
  • self-built circuit with custom modes (1 press - high mode, 3 press - low mode, 4 press - beacon) and voltage control. Optimized for unprotected cells.
  • optimiced contacts and bridged spring at the switch to keep the resistance as low as possible.
  • IC Diamond thermal grease for the LED-MCPCB.
  • electronic potted by a self-made diamond thermal adhesive.

AS-DBS-01_zps90e88819.jpg

AS-DBS-02_zpsf0d8fe8e.jpg

AS-DBS-03_zpsf83208c4.jpg

AS-DBS-04_zps420625fa.jpg

AS-DBS-05_zps48570595.jpg

AS-DBS-06_zps91d75ae7.jpg

Unbenannt-1_zpsc20d4b91.jpg

Now the beamshots!:)

With a hand selected XR-E R2-WC (ez1000), boost-buck-converter at 1.3A. Almost like original.
DBS-XR-E_zps5d9e5aaa.jpg

With a de-domed XM-L U3-1C at 3A. That is a fine example how inefficient de-domed LEDs are under a aspherical lens, if there is no additional condenser lens in front of them.
DBS-XM-L_zps2cb3c409.jpg

My self-built pill with the hand selected XP-G2 R5-1A and the new condenser lens at around 3.8A.
DBS-XP-G2-Pre-Col_zpsa92bc1a3.jpg

Same as gif-animation.
DBS-vergleich_zps7b705fd5.gif

The modified DBS is just 10% less bright (in ceiling bounce) than a Nitecore EA4 (advertised as 860 Ansi-Lumen). Correct lux-values will be taken at the next local TLF meet. But they should be somewhere between 260 and 300 KLux. Not that bad for a pocketable thrower.:)

Regards,

Vinz

jwalko

Newly Enlightened
So, the XP-G has a stronger beam than the XM-L?? From what I've been reading the XM-L outputs more lumens...is this correct? So the difference is the efficiency of the new lens? The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of building a custom dive light myself. I have a 12v 4500mAh power source, so was thinking of 3 XM-L in a series. But I'm having trouble finding this setup. I think I can find XP-Gs in a triple configuration (without having to build the configuration myself). I want something with a very tight spot...but bright. I'm already thinking of using some type of lens (collimator? Aspheric?). I think I'm going to have lots of questions.

On a side note, I'm also thinking of building a set of lights for a golf cart....which would need more flood. Based on what you did...it appears as if I won't be disappointed in the XP-Gs

Very nicely done, by the way

John

Tiresius

Enlightened
Lumens is not what you're pushing for when it comes to throw. The XP-G2 simply has a much smaller die than what the XM-L2 does. Once de-domed, the light loses lumens but gain in candella or lux. The idea behind throw is to get a tight beam with as much brightness within that tight spot.

With a triple XM-L pushed hard, you'll only get so much throw from pure lumens. There are many ways to go at it for throws and I can't say which one you should and should not go for.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Vinz, that is some nice machining work done on that aftermarket pill you've got there. I like how clean the threads came out.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Very interesting,

Where did you buy "condenser lenses"?

I have following results in NightmasterV2 dedomed(but same lenses as in old dbs)

240 KCD with Vinhnguyen 3A XP-E2

220 KCD with XP-G2 2,8 amp driver

150KCD with XM-L2

This "condenser lenses" looks good to me but by judging your pictures I would say that my 2,8 amp XP-G2 is brighter than your 3,8 one (without that condenser lenses)...

So i guess that I could easily have 250 or more KCD with 3,8A driven XP-G2

But that would be short and unefficient bursts of light because there is no good 18650 battery and driver for extended use.

So when they invent better battery than Sanyo 2600 or Panasonic 2900 or better driver than nanjg 105C I will limit myself to 2,8A single cell usage maximum

Vinz

Newly Enlightened
I got 260 KCD @1m (measured at 4,5 meters).

The lens over the de-domed XP-G2 doesn't affect the lux/candela (well, maybe +/- 5%). But it acts as pre-collimator which bundles the emmitted light coming from the led to a radiation angle that perfectly fits the aspherical lens in the front. So there is no wasted light, with the result, that the spot is more than twice in size (but still same as bright) compared to your just de-domed one.

The only problem is, that you need for every lens-led setup a different condenser lens or at least a different setting for a perfect result.

3.8A is no problem, if you optimize your contacts (solid plus contact and bypassed spring) and use a LED with super low Vf like I did.

I'm always using hand selected LEDs for such projects or my multi LED drop-ins. It isn't fun to sort them, but necessary.

Here a little example: 37 XM-L2 and and 33 Nichia 219 LEDs, each measured, labeled and welded into little foil bags.:eek:
SelectedLEDS_zpsce56ecaa.jpg

PS: I have no public source for the lens I used on this build, but you can use almost every spherical lens with a high focal point as pre-collimator. The small ones from Kaidomain in 10.7, 12.5 and 14mm should work too. The only difficulty is to find the correct distance and building them into such a small package.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Thanks,

Yes your XP-G2 really looks 50% bigger than mine with that pre-collimated lenses... This is good stuff...

Please PM where I can buy your condenser lenses. I got same flashlight so they will work. Please PM me the source. I am from Europe same as you.

What 18650 battery you recommend for 3,5A configurations?

I am not familiar with hand selected LED emitter?

I order them and they all come in original plastic(film like) protection...

Any benefit from hand made ones and where we can buy them?

Thanks

Walterk

Enlightened
Downright geil!
Love your attitude, this really is fine engineering!
Think you went a bit over the top on the polishing but what the heck...;)

How did you dedome/any surface treatment, and is the new pre-collimator in contact with the led or a bit above?

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh ok...if you decide to sell this one can i have first dibs?
i have the maratac aa copper mule from you and it is just awesome.
this one is very nice as well and i would love to put this one next to my deerelight xsearcher.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh ok...if you decide to sell this one can i have first dibs?
i have the maratac aa copper mule from you and it is just awesome.
this one is very nice as well and i would love to put this one next to my deerelight xsearcher.

A guy in the German TLF forum already got it ;)
I have witnessed the light in person: its amazing for such a small light.

Vinz

Newly Enlightened
Downright geil!
Love your attitude, this really is fine engineering!
Thanks!:)
Think you went a bit over the top on the polishing but what the heck...;)
:p
How did you dedome/any surface treatment
That is easy! First you have to slightly lift/cut the thin silicone layer on the four edges of the LED (don't cut into the dome!). After that you place the LED for 40-50 minutes in acetone. The dome should come off by itself. Then you can remove the remaining silicone around the DIE using a super fine needle and a 15-20x magnification glass.

With a little practice you can get results like the following:

Entdomt-1.jpg

Entdomt-2.jpg

is the new pre-collimator in contact with the led or a bit above?
I had to set the center of the lens 0.7mm above the DIE of the LED to get the right angle for the aspherical lens in the front.

BTW: If you are interested in updating your ingenious Huygens Ultimate I could send you a XP-G2 or XM-L2 on copper that is equipped with a new 80° lens.

Please PM where I can buy your condenser lenses. I got same flashlight so they will work. Please PM me the source. I am from Europe same as you.

Yes, if you are able to modify the pill holder, build a new pill with longer threads and also a tiny centering ring, then they will work in your light too... I received them as samples besides many other optics. But I'll ask my supplier if I could get more informations and PM you then. If you are not from Germany, being from "Europe" is no advantage. International shipping cost with the german post is always the same.

What 18650 battery you recommend for 3,5A configurations?

For 3.5A or above: Panasonic NCR18650PD

Any benefit from hand made ones and where we can buy them?

Of course, you have to select them by yourself. The best is to order 50+ and get them from different places of the roll.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Thanks Vinz,

I searched and looked for 70 to 80° small lenses and I could not find that anywhere DX/KD/FT/CNQG...

Really guys please help me on this I can not sleep because of that :grin2: Those lenses are great stuff... No matter for shipping cost I will order larger quantities...

I have all necessary dereelight accessories(pill holders) + new copper made pills...

Walterk

Enlightened
If you are interested in updating your ingenious Huygens Ultimate .....

:devil:

Almost was forgotten having the Huygens. At the moment more busy with gathering parts for 106-head in combination with Uniquefire T20 with 8mm zoom.
After the XR-E, now it has a SST-50 in it, but bringing it back to pure thrower would be nicer. I will consider this, and do some reading on the power supply side.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Hi Vinz,

After some while I managed to crack your patent. Thank you for idea and for sharing info . Emitter acts like dedomed(it is not loosing any brightness) with 50% larger area(xp-g2 is going to size of XML) and it even fixes some collor abberations.
And what I find out with hard earned lesson that you are light freak.

It is pain in the *** to find appropriate emitter (1 out of 10 if lucky) and even greater pain to find appropriate lenses + other centering accesories and methods.

What is incredible that you offer similar products at very acceptable prices??? Selecting appropriate emitter, lenses, special solder, thermal conductive paste.
Man you have very low earnings here.

Things that you do are really incredible(I am watching you on all forums). You are most impressive modder on the world.

And now new informations are circuling around net that you know how to change emitter tint? :) If you managed to crack that is also incredible. Hat down.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Vinz,

After some while I managed to crack your patent. Thank you for idea and for sharing info . Emitter acts like dedomed(it is not loosing any brightness) with 50% larger area(xp-g2 is going to size of XML) and it even fixes some collor abberations.
And what I find out with hard earned lesson that you are light freak.

It is pain in the *** to find appropriate emitter (1 out of 10 if lucky) and even greater pain to find appropriate lenses + other centering accesories and methods.

What is incredible that you offer similar products at very acceptable prices??? Selecting appropriate emitter, lenses, special solder, thermal conductive paste.
Man you have very low earnings here.

Things that you do are really incredible(I am watching you on all forums). You are most impressive modder on the world.

And now new informations are circuling around net that you know how to change emitter tint? :) If you managed to crack that is also incredible. Hat down.

What do you mean with finding an "appropriate" emitter? You mean finding one with a perfect tint?

With the prices he offers things at, he is not really making any money if you consider how many hours of work and expertise it takes.
I have some lights from him and really enjoy owning them.