Gear tested by Uncle Al

bigcozy

Enlightened
I have an Uncle, a great Uncle to be accurate, that lives out in the sticks in very primitive conditions. Hard to believe that he has four degrees, passed the bar in Hawaii, and worked for NASA. He lives in deep woods next to a National Forest. He has no running water, no electricity, and doesn't even seem to notice. About 20 years ago, he moved out by himself, and hasn't worked a day since. He told me he lives on about $60 a month, and cuts firewood for his small income.

Knowing that he needed a little of everything, I decided to give him some of my gear. I wanted to see how someone that uses things totally based on practicality would react to some high end stuff. I have him a Chris Reeve Shadow IV, a Surefire E2, PT Attitude, a North Face Denali Fleece jacket, a Spyderco Endura, a old Remington 870 12ga., and some other assorted stuff. After two years here are his opinions.

His favorite thing is the Reeve knife. He can't believe how tough it is. He keeps the handle wrapped in tape, because the knurling is too aggressive and tears up his hands. He says he has probably used it everday since he got it. He has a modified sheath he uses and keeps it around his shoulder, I am not sure why. He also is a big fan of the Spyderco, even though he has broken the tip twice and reground it (by hand on a stone). It is about half as long as it was originally.

He also loves the PT Attitude because it lasts so long on batteries. He gave me back the E2, said it goes through batteries too fast. He asked for another Attitude in case he lost his, and gave me some money for it, a big expense for him. The Remington gets almost daily use, mostly squirrel and turkey, which he hunts year round. He likes it because "you just shoot once, and whatever you shoot dies and you don't have to chase it".

He did not like the fleece jacket, it couldn't stand up to the brush, he prefers military issue stuff. I picked up a surplus M65 jacket, I am sure he will prefer it. I have made a vow to supply him each year with enough gear to get him through the year, he won't accept money or food. I have learned from him that when it really comes down to it, durability is the most important thing when it comes to hardcore outdoor life. Lightweight or hi tech goes out the window with him. Does it work, will it last? All he wants to know. I will let you know how the extnded gear testing is going after I talk to him at Christmas. I am sure he will have some jerky and muscadine wine for me.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats pretty cool what climate is he in? hopefully not hasrsh winters

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats would be cool. so peacefull. i can only imagine the stars at night if the tree canopy didnt get in the way..id miss my pc and tv though lol

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
damn, sounds like he's pretty tough on everything.

maybe you could look into getting him something like the Elektrolumens Blaster 3.. it has 24 hours of bright light, and then a week's worth of useable light after the decline.

how does he go thru shoes?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigcozy -

I really enjoyed reading this.

One of the things I like about Arkansas is the diversity. When going to dinner you may be seated next to the CEO of an international corporation in an Armani on one side and a rice farmer in Wranglers on the other...tough to say who has the most cash on them. If I were the waiter I would be all over the farmer's table.

You can feast on pheasant at the Capitol Club at 8:00 p.m., see a show at the Repertory Theatre at 9:00 p.m., be in a 75,000 sq. ft. club at 12:00 a.m. then at 1:00 a.m. you can be fighting your second 3 lb. crappie or 6 lb. large mouth or 12 lb. blue cat or 20 lb. striper.

In an A & E program, "City Confidential" Little Rock is described as having a more politically oriented populas than any other city in the country including Washington, D.C. . People in Arkansas are very much in touch with government officials, be they elected or legislatively concieved. I like that.

Arkansas is more modern than most people think yet that frontiersman attitude remains. If I walk into a local convenience store EDCing a 3" lock liner I'm not given a second look by the on board LEO.

Reading about your uncle is a bit like reading about what I like about Arkansas personified. Successful in the modern sense and in a professional environment...successful in the frontier sense in a rugged environment.

I suspect he and his dined on wild turkey today which, as we know, is so much better than the pond duck white turkeys for sale at the grocery store.

Please continue with updates on his gear testing.

Regards,

- Jeff

TheBeam

Enlightened
I find this amazing, what does he stay in? House, cabin, tent, hole in the ground? what?

Penguin

Enlightened
Same here, this is really intresting. Next year, some stuff that'll NEVER break. Arc LSHF-P (one with Fraen Optic) + a 2AA tailpack.Arc AA too, that way he can stay on one type of battery. And a kydex holster? That should last him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
He doesn't waste any time writing manifesto's I hope! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But seriously, this is the kind of thing that most of don't REALLY want to do, though if forced to for a short time we do want to know how our gear will hold up. So I am also very interested in what he thinks of the gear.

Thanks for passing on his impressions!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
great read.

i am also very into function over form, and im definitely a gearhead. i drive my wife nuts when i analyze something to death before buying.
sounds like your uncle could teach us a thing or two about survival.

i wonder how he would like an opalec newbeam or maybe an LED headlamp...or both? with an opalec on a pair of 30 cent alkies, the cost to run is only around 6 cents an hour.

anyway, thanks for the info!

Bob

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Lightwave 4000. Bright, (for a non-luxeon) waterproof, dang near indestructable and will run for an obscenely long time. Craig described runtime in his review as "Battery life isn't explicitly stated, but should be 50-100 hours with good brightness, then decreasing over the next several weeks"

You can find them for reasonable prices on eBay Its one of founding fathers of LED flashlights, but it holds its own nicely against the more recent competition because Lightwave got it so completely right the first time. About all it could be said to be missing is regulation, but that would cut down on its incredible runtime. If I was stuck in the wilderness and needed a dependable light I new I could run for a very long time without new batteries if I had to, this is the one I would want.