Boring Reflectors

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asking here rather than Machining thread as I have limited tools.
I do have a decent quality mini drill press.
(I have a clamp kit so should be able to at least secure the reflector)
I have read of a few people successfully opening holes on reflectors.
Slow with a step piece I believe was done a few times.

Obvious question, how to manage the debri messing up reflector surface?
Run a vacuum cleaner underneath to suck the mess away?

I have an FM 2 inch deep reflector, bought used, it's pretty old, has some very minor marks
so I'd use that as first try. Aim is to open 8.5mm hole to 12.5mm so it will fit around heatsink
pedestal on Malkoff mag drop ins. (XPG and XML)
If successful I'll risk a new 2 inch deep reflector I have.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've used a hand held tapered ream without destroying the reflector surface, a vacuum sounds like a good idea.

Norm

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a hand held tapered ream without destroying the reflector surface, a vacuum sounds like a good idea.

Norm

I have a couple of hand reamers. I find for small enlargements I do well , for this amount, I tend to wander and hole becomes off centre so that's why I'm thinking power. It tends to be success or mess that way though :shakehead
I was hoping someone could tell me some kind of spray (silicone ?) on protectant that could be washed off later.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a step bit in a drill and also a small drum sander on my Dremel tool. I would not spray anything on the reflective surface. You can clean up shavings with air or a vacuum. Use a very slow speed and take your time. Don't rush. Don't push. Let the tools do the work. If I had a tapered reamer I would not worry about keeping it centered. You'll do that as you work....

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a step bit in a drill and also a small drum sander on my Dremel tool. I would not spray anything on the reflective surface. You can clean up shavings with air or a vacuum. Use a very slow speed and take your time. Don't rush. Don't push. Let the tools do the work. If I had a tapered reamer I would not worry about keeping it centered. You'll do that as you work....

Thanks. So I suppose simple answer is the al flakes / dust should just blow off reflector and not stick to it.
Someone has already had a go at this - looks like a large countersink bit was used (and not smoothly) which will add to the challenge.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I did several of these in my early cpf days and had easy success with cleanup just running them under tap water. Use distilled if you live with water spots.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did several of these in my early cpf days and had easy success with cleanup just running them under tap water. Use distilled if you live with water spots.

Tool used?
Im still debating step drill or countersink bit. I've had good success drilling nice smooth large holes with countersink bits.
Surprised hell out of the local hardware man :D

JacobJones

Enlightened
Never done a tiny reflector but I found a step drill worked fine on big spotlight ones, just make sure your reflector is held very firmly by something or someone and go slow and gentle, my drill bit did bind a couple of times but that was my fault for thinking I could hold the reflector steady with my feet.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never done a tiny reflector but I found a step drill worked fine on big spotlight ones, just make sure your reflector is held very firmly by something or someone and go slow and gentle, my drill bit did bind a couple of times but that was my fault for thinking I could hold the reflector steady with my feet.

Great. I'm now feeling peer pressure to do it!
I probably won't use my feet to secure the reflector though. Only worse place would be between thighs. :eek:oo:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I've bored out P60 reflectors with nothing more than a hand drill and a firm hand grip. I had to use incrementally larger drill bits to reduce the amount of binding while operating the drill at low speed. As far as the bits of aluminum just use compressed air to blow off any that is on the reflector surface. Don't use ANY liquids (even 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol, I've tried from personal experience) to clean the reflector.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate the help and advice.
I decided to go for it, double checking everything before starting I found I could use my version 1 deep reflector with Malkoff XLM dropin as is.
Used an insulator and have the reflector down as far as I can get it.
FANTASTIC beam! Quite similar to 2.5TM.
Very unlike the beam that seems so common from many DX style 50 mm LED reflectors with the flat base around the LED.
Nice hotspot but dramatic drop off. This deep reflector (or 2.5TM) gives a very obvious hotspot but here is much more spill around the hot spot and it gradually tapers away. As the hotspot seems as good as the flat bottom supposedly designed for LED reflector, the deep parabolas in my eyes provide all the extra spill for free (ie not like a floodier setup where you expect loss of hot spot)

I know, BEAM SHOTS! I'm a keen photographer so will take the time to get some good shots but will take a week or so.

V1 has a reflector and large bezel. V2 is a 1 piece extender/reflector. That one will need a bore.
In the meantime... 13mm hole would have been perfect, but might try one of these with an XML 16mm copper star overdriven.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?242571-Deep-reflector-16mm-opening

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not like what this sound like
This deep reflector (or 2.5TM) gives a very obvious hotspot but here is much more spill around the hot spot and it gradually tapers away
that reminds me of my failed focusing mods with various LEDs in XRE reflectors...

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not like what this sound like
This deep reflector (or 2.5TM) gives a very obvious hotspot but here is much more spill around the hot spot and it gradually tapers away
that reminds me of my failed focusing mods with various LEDs in XRE reflectors...

I think you are partially correct, at the same time I'm pretty sure my beam is better than you imagine.
I have several XML lights with various reflectors to compare.
What I describe, to me, is what you get from a Throwmaster and why i like them so much.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you friends.

Seeing as how I used a good thread title for future search reference and there has been so much helpful input already,
I might as well contribute back with photos and details.
What was I worried about? :thinking:
Maybe quality reflectors handle a bit of dust - I tried a few DX reflector mods and always managed to noticeably dull the reflector surface.

Using my new condition Version 2 FM deep reflector,I have a step drill with max size 11.8mm and going slowly, bored a hole that I'm happy with and can see no damage to reflector surface.

Here it is fitted to my 1C Mag with Malkoff XML dropin.
I think I'm getting 90-95% of reflector performance, the base of the reflector is now lower than the top of the star but I think a fraction more would be perfect. Not sure if I can get it to go any lower without boring to 15mm to clear the pedestal and may then lose more with having to defocus to avoid donut hole.

I have ordered 2 x FM V2 deep reflectors bored to 16mm so will leave this for now and try the 16mm hole first.
If I don't like 16mm I can use for P7 or SST90.

Refelector before bore
D04_0108_WM_zpsf3fffea7.jpg

After drilling with step drill.
D04_0119_WM_zpse9491fc3.jpg

Looks neat fitted.
I'd like to point out that the messy wire / solder joints are a result of my squeezing down various reflectors trying them out.
They were perfect as received from Malkoff...
D04_0131_WM_zps6e8bceb6.jpg

D04_0132_WM_zpsee66bb15.jpg

I may have to swap this dropin in to my black 1C for obvious reasons.
D04_0135_WM_zps4686d5ce.jpg

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I found a perfect fit...
Malkoff XPG dropin uses a smaller 10mm star.
I am able to get reflector slightly lower than optimum focus where it becomes just slightly floody.

The LED is a little off center, cannot notice in the beam, but I should be able to shim the dropin with some copper sheet on one side to center the LED.

D04_0144_WM_zps0451474f.jpg

D04_0142_WM_zps806aa988.jpg

D04_0147_WM_zpsd0743379.jpg

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to do a night long range test.
Indoors, short distance, bored deep reflector and Malkoff XPG dropin at 1A produces a hot spot less than half the size of this Ma_sha1 build
(XPG @ 2.8A) and the hotspot is a lot brighter.
The Malkoff XPG/Deep reflector beam instantly reminded me of a Malkoff M60 dropin - the earlier Cree dropins with Optics. ie very defined hotspot, some spill but less than current reflector dropins, (a beam I consider very nice)

KosPap - I guarantee you would like this beam :)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...om-1C-Golden-Mag-shorty&p=4230539#post4230539
Posted that as Ma_sha1 has good credibility and rated this light as having good output and great beam.
Could be considered unflattering to Ma_sha1, my intention is to indicate something I have been thinking about lately, that a good reflector may be far more valuable than absolute power output.
I bought the light obviously and am happy with it and consider Ma_sha1's rating of his own build accurate.

For the cost and 20mm extra head length, if you don't mind the look, these deep reflectors and LEDs are a winner IMHO.
Drawback being LED star needs to be smaller than the reflector opening, limiting overdrive capability.

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add a Malkoff Hound Dog and a Mag 2D (131Lumen with Rebel Reflector) to this lineup
and I should be able to get a good idea of just how successful these deep reflectors are.

Left to right:
1C, Malkoff XPG, FM-V2 Deep Reflector
Crelant 7G3 (XML)
1C, Malkoff XML, FM-2.5 Throwmaster
Ma_sha1 1C, XPG @ 2.8A
1.5D, Malkoff XPG, FM-2.5 Throwmaster

D04_0155_zpsb418cf1c.jpg

Latest posts