EAGLETAC GX25A3 XM-L2 U2 flicers when switched on? Is this normal?

Miracle

Enlightened
Just received my EAGLETAC GX25A3 XM-L2 U2 today.

When I switched it on, it will flicker 1-2 times before it switch on for good.

Is this normal?

Can some kind souls please check if theirs turns on this way as well?

or did I received a faulty set?

meaning that when I turn it on to full brightness, it should not flicker but turn on to full brightness straight away with out flickering?

please advice?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you clean all your electrical contact points? Sometimes a even a new light needs a good cleaning, especially when running at max output. Also, what kind of cells are you using, AA alkaline or 14500? I don't own this light, but I don't think flickering on start up should be considered normal, however, there are other reasons for it to happen other than a bad light.

Miracle

Enlightened
I was told that it means the cell is low on power.

I am now recharging the cells and will try again later

Thank you for your time.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
That happens when one or two of the three cells are not in the same voltage.

My GX25A3 does the same. I almost returned it but after putting freshly charge eneloops with identical voltages, the flickering is gone.

As derek mentioned, clean the contacts before using the first time. That's what I do on my new lights.

TheSpicyTuna

Newly Enlightened
Mine flashes once with new out of the box energizer Li-ion batteries. Using regular duracells or Eneloops it runs great.

Sent from my iPhone.

Miracle

Enlightened
I believe I know what is going on now.

Every time when I turn on and off and on and off the light to test it, I do so too quickly.

So the light sometimes go into strobe mode which is the cause of the flicker

If I turn on and off and on and off the light in 1-2 seconds interval, everything is fine.

Can some kind souls please confirm this?

Thank you for your time.

TheSpicyTuna

Newly Enlightened
Also if you hit the switch too slowly the light will think you are holding it down and go into the momentary turbo mode.

Sent from my iPhone.

kj2

Flashaholic
When I first turned it on, I also had a flickering problem. Was also thinking on returning it but, after checking my batteries I found that one was bad. Charged four new Eneloops and the light is running perfectly now :)

TronPlayer

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a big fan of the head-twist mode change for this very reason. My Gx25a3 develops this problem with regular use. When it happens (frequently) I clean the threads/contacts with a little DeOxit, re-lube the o-ring and everything works fine for a while. After my experience with the GX25A3, I've decided that I most likely won't be purchasing an SX25L3.

kj2

Flashaholic
I'm not a big fan of the head-twist mode change for this very reason. My Gx25a3 develops this problem with regular use. When it happens (frequently) I clean the threads/contacts with a little DeOxit, re-lube the o-ring and everything works fine for a while. After my experience with the GX25A3, I've decided that I most likely won't be purchasing an SX25L3.
That's also a reason that I'm waiting on the Fenix TK51.

TheSpicyTuna

Newly Enlightened
I don't like the head switch either, and maybe i have not had mine long enough to develop these problems. On the flip side however, I find that keeping the light on low/medium and using the tailswitch or sideswitch for the momentary turbo mode is satisfactory when I need a little burst of light output.

I'm still not sure why it gives the low battery warning with the lithium cells though. Runs like a champ on regular Duracell alki's

Sent from my iPhone.

PS4

Newly Enlightened
My specimen fliched, even shut down after couple seconds by itself, straight from sales package, Was using good Eneloops which were paired.

Got rid of flickering after thoroughly cleaning contacts in twisty head using ispopanol, cotton puds, and elbow grease.

Now works a all aright, Second cleaning may be needed in future.

All current pins and current pathhway rings all showed lots of black gunk in clean patches i was using. That twisty function need good contack surfaces in wide area inside head.

Threads were liberally lubricated from factory, till grease from them flowed in head toward connections.

Just give it through cleaning. Isopropyl alcohol, even touch with pencil eraser, or use deoxit (i don't have that)

WildLight

Newly Enlightened
I just went for night hike to try my new light and guess what? Mine flicker as well when I turned it on and then went death. Tried both switch (tailcap and front) and nothing. Got worry because is a new light and I was in the woods so no time for cleaning ( thank god also carry a headlight) fortunately It was the tailcap that needs to be tight. Weird because is the second time this light just go death on me and then it works perfect. I just hike 1 hour with this light and is a great little thrower. I will give the light a cleaning tomorrow morning.