Which Rechargable for Auto

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I want to start keeping a rechargable light in the car. Keeping in mind that our winters can get cold and our summers can get hot, which rechargable has a better chance of handling the changes in tempature? I guess the UltraStinger, TigerLight and MagCharger are the ones that come to mind. I'm not limiting the selection to them.

Edit: One factor that is important to me is the ability to run the light while being charged in the DC-adapter.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think there are any of those where the charger provides enough power to actually run the light, if that's what you're thinking. If you want that, go for a spotlight that plugs in the cig lighter socket. The Banana Vector from Costco seems to be a favorite on the spotlight forum.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken, none of them have a charger designed to run the light while charging. The design of virtually all of them would make that awkward to say the least. Example, the charger for the Mag covers the head of the light and blocks the beam. The US charger is a 2"x2"x3" block that snaps around just underneath the head and makes access to the switch a little awkward... Not sure about the TL but believe it is similar to the US.

Meanwhile... all of them are NiCad which does not handle heat or cold all that well. If you anticipate extreme heat or cold you would need to mount the light in a somewhat protected position, say under the seat to prevent the NiCad cells from cooking in direct sun or freezing.

Also, you need to consider charge speed. If the light is to be used on a constant basis, the you may need a speed charger - availability of which may affect your decision. I.e. - if you anticipate draining the light during a typical day, a speed charger may be a necessity. That or a piggyback or spare cell pack.

As said previously by Paulr, if anticipate spotlight type usage, a spotlight may be your best choice. I have a leo friend that carries a baby spot in the car - very small, only a little larger in diameter from the US. About 1/4 mil CP.

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened
I use a Streamlight PolyStinger in my truck. The plastic case provides some better temperature moderation than do the aluminum models.Additionaly it's inexpensive and provides some pretty good light for outdoor use. The switching mechanism does work while the light is in the charger and I suppose theoreticly could be used this way but at least in my case there is little use since it's screwed down to the floor .Some of the things I like about the Streamlight charger is the cord unplugs easily for routing/hiding it,and the switch for the light is up making it easier to find the side switch.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ray,

I think your initial selection is good.

As you know, I am a TigerLight fan so I would suggest that light.

If I were putting it in my vehicle, I would wire it so the charger would only come on with the key. It is tolerant of constant charging, but I don't think you need it.

Tom

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I wanted to bring this thread back up again, since I really never did move forward with this. I've got it narrow down to the UltraStinger and the 8" TigerLight. The benefit of the US is that I already have one in the kitchen, mounted in the charger. Any opinions to one light over the other as it relates to vehicle carry?

GeorgeB

Newly Enlightened
I have my Tiger Light charger mounted to the framework of my driver's seat. the light is easy to get in and out of the charger, and it seems to do well with heat or cold.

One thing about the Tiger Light, the supplied directions say DO NOT operate the light while it is in the charger.

I know you can get a fast dc charger for the Ultra Stinger, but I don't think there is one out yet for the Tiger Light.

Hope some of this helps,
George

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
I wanted to bring this thread back up again, since I really never did move forward with this. I've got it narrow down to the UltraStinger and the 8" TigerLight. The benefit of the US is that I already have one in the kitchen, mounted in the charger. Any opinions to one light over the other as it relates to vehicle carry?

[/ QUOTE ]

I own both and both get used often. The Tigerlight is much brighter than the US and has greater throw. Each has it's own merits. You can fast charge the US and it is focusable as you already know, the Tigerlight is fixed. So I guess depending on your needs you know better than anyone else...

Dave

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ray,

My opinion has not changed. Go with the TigerLight. It is durable, has descent run time, and puts out enough light to be useful in "car" situations (break downs, accidents, looking for house numbers, etc.).

If you put it under your coat, it can even be used as a map light...

Tom