Petzl MegaBelt Impressions

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back on Jan 15, I ordered a Petzl MegaBelt from Mountain Gear in Spokane, Washington. It arrived on Thursday via UPS.

These puppies are getting hard to find and Petzl is phasing them out. They cost $58 US. I didn't want to order via the Web, only to find it was no longer available, so I called them on the phone. They had 3 in stock.

This headlamp comes with a halogen bulb installed and a standard bulb in the spare bulb holder. The bezel is loose (too much play). The battery pack can hold either 3C or 3AA with no need to put an adapter in it (which you have to to with the Zoom for 3AA). The nice thing about this, is that the battery pack can be mounted on the back of the headstrap OR on your belt.

I had no intention of using an incandescant bulb in this. My budget doesn't permit alot of battery purchases to feed this or any light. I had a LEDcorp single white Nichia LED bulb for 4.5 volt Petzls, that I had been using in my Zoom. I put that in this one, and swapped the bezels. It is now perfect.

The cable is just long enough for belt mounting, without any excess to get caught in anything. The length is also perfect for winding around the pack, which has grooves and clips, so that it can be mounted on the headstrap. It is a wee bit heavy in the back with 3 C cells, but no too much.

With the LED bulb, I get both perfect focus and a smooth, wide flood, plus super long runtime from 3C cells. The LED bulb I have can be use with 3 Lithium AAs, as well as alkaline AA and C or D.

Overall rating:
icon14.gif

Downside: loose included bezel