New Deep-UV LEDs from Sandia Labs

paulr

Flashaholic
This deep-UV stuff showing up in flashlights actually kind of scares me. Someone is going to hurt their eyes, or other people's eyes, with those things sooner or later.

I also don't understand why UV isn't subject to line-of-sight for communications (per the article) like ordinary wavelengths are.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
This deep-UV stuff showing up in flashlights actually kind of scares me. Someone is going to hurt their eyes, or other people's eyes, with those things sooner or later.

I also don't understand why UV isn't subject to line-of-sight for communications (per the article) like ordinary wavelengths are.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're still fairly low power, only a milliwatt or so. Still, you could do some damage if you stared at it, although no more than staring at a portable shortwave fluorescent lamp.

As far as the communications goes, I'm wondering about that also. Maybe they're relying on atmospheric scattering?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, they aren't "shortwave", but they are "medium wave" and they are the shortest wavelength created in an LED to date, so I put a link to this Sandia article on my UV LEDs page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thank you!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
Well, they aren't "shortwave", but they are "medium wave" and they are the shortest wavelength created in an LED to date, so I put a link to this Sandia article on my UV LEDs page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thank you!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the clarification, Craig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif