XM weaponlight tailcap maximum current?

mfrey

Enlightened
Does anyone know the maximum current spec for the Surefire XM tailcap? I want to build a hot weaponlight employing one but I need to know what its limits are before I spec the drop-in.

I don't want to burn up the switch. These things aren't cheap. I was thinking 4A with a de-domed XM-L2 if the switch can weather it.

Roger999

Enlightened
Well the MN11 on a M961 would be drawing about 2.5A so that's a safe bet. I have no idea about the maximum current draw, if you're planning on a 4A draw on 1X 4.2V 18650 you could try 2X IMR16340s to raise the voltage to about 8.4V (prob more like 7.5V under load however) which would lower the amp draw to about 2.1A assuming there's a driver for that.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Does anyone know the maximum current spec for the Surefire XM tailcap? I want to build a hot weaponlight employing one but I need to know what its limits are before I spec the drop-in.

I don't want to burn up the switch. These things aren't cheap. I was thinking 4A with a de-domed XM-L2 if the switch can weather it.
I'm curious about this as well. Recently I purchased a "lot" or group of M962 lights and ironically there were several XM07 tail caps that were non functional due to the on/off switch. The ST07 port with a PS worked fine since it bypasses that portion of the XM07 internal circuit. What I discovered after disassembling the XM07 on/off button was that there are 2 little "legs" or contacts extending out from the edge inside the switch well. The plastic body of the racheting portion of the pushbutton house's a metal piece that makes contact with those 2 little legs once it the switch is depressed. Those metal contacts are not very thick or large. But since there are 2 of them they probably would not be overloaded by a couple amps. More? I bet they fail at some point. I will be doing a thread soon about disassembly of the switch portion of the XM07 tail cap since there is literally nothing available on the web. I tried finding something and couldn't. Look for it in the next couple months. John

Last edited:

mfrey

Enlightened
Hi John,

I'm looking forward to that how-to. Thanks in advance.

These M-series weaponlights are a real bargain and a great cost-effective alternative to the current Surefire weaponlight offerings. With a little work and with the right components they can approximate, or, in some cases, exceed their performance.

As an aside, take a walk over to the TnC subforum in Custom and Modified. I've been giving a lot of thought to the M-series given their availability and adaptability. One of the problem areas with the M-series when upgrading them to LED is the LU60 adaptor collar. I'm working with Chris to develop an updated variant of the collar that will accept current LED drop-ins without modification. Chime in their if you have an interest. It would help with the project momentum :). In case it interests you, as well, Barry at PrecisionWorks has found a way to work-hold M-series bodies to bore them to use 18mm cells.

I'm really looking forward to a bored M-series with the new LU60.

When everything comes together, I'm going to try running a 3.15A de-domed XP-G2 drop-in from Wayne. If the switch can digest that current, I might try something hotter.:devil:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Hi John,

I'm looking forward to that how-to. Thanks in advance.

These M-series weaponlights are a real bargain and a great cost-effective alternative to the current Surefire weaponlight offerings. With a little work and with the right components they can approximate, or, in some cases, exceed their performance.

As an aside, take a walk over to the TnC subforum in Custom and Modified. I've been giving a lot of thought to the M-series given their availability and adaptability. One of the problem areas with the M-series when upgrading them to LED is the LU60 adaptor collar. I'm working with Chris to develop an updated variant of the collar that will accept current LED drop-ins without modification. Chime in their if you have an interest. It would help with the project momentum :). In case it interests you, as well, Barry at PrecisionWorks has found a way to work-hold M-series bodies to bore them to use 18mm cells.

I'm really looking forward to a bored M-series with the new LU60.

When everything comes together, I'm going to try running a 3.15A de-domed XP-G2 drop-in from Wayne. If the switch can digest that current, I might try something hotter.:devil:
Interesting and good info. I have been mod'n the M951 and M952 lights with cut or tapered D26 modules. The XPG R5 is about the sweetest one with outstanding center spot and still decent spill. The M961 / m962 M3 head accepts the 35mm reflector from Deal Extreme with no modifications required. And the standard D26 LED/Regulator screws right in the end. Only problem is they don't have a SMO available. But the OP still puts out a decent beam. The XML T6 has been what I have been using but I tried a U3 recently and its a little better, but not much. Maybe with more current it would look better? I'll take a look at TNC and join in there. Thanks, John

mfrey

Enlightened
As a follow-up, I have been testing the XM tailcap with a Vinhguyen 3.15A XM-L2 drop-in and it seems to handle the current just fine with both the clicky and the pressure switch.