What do you use to carry your flashlights?

Paul_DW

Enlightened
If you go out with a few to do some testing?

I've got quite a few largish flashlights and recently took 4 flashlights out for a bit of testing. I didn't want to have them all banging off each other in the bag I used, so I wrapped them individually in a towel and placed them all in carefully.

Just wondering if you guys have any idea's of what to use to carry say 5 - 10 flashlights at once?

A bag with individual slots kinda thing would be good, but unless I make it myself I can't think what would do the same job?!?

Any ideas?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I've used a cloth bag with handles, tool boxes, even coolers, back packs, etc.

It really depends on the environment you'll be in, and, the way you'll be transporting the lights. IE: On a camping trip, they will be loose, but in something in a pack, etc.

I currently use mostly the aluminum suit case style tool boxes with foam liners...as I can line up quite a few nose to tail and jig saw puzzle them into a safely nestled configuration that so far at least, seems to be working.

I get them on sale at discount chains, around ~ $20 for a ~ 18" x 12" x 6" deep case.

Example:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-12-34-x-6-aluminum-case-69318.html

They are sturdy enough and roomy enough, to protect a decent quantity of lights. They can come with pick and pluck foam, so that you can make cut outs specific to a set of lights, or, you can just let the foam envelope the lights randomly, etc.

Of course, I might have 3-6 lights in my pockets at any one time too.

:D

CMAG

Enlightened
H Depo, or like has fake alluim tool cases for like $20 with the foam you cut out
I have also used a lap top bag has pouches for all the little stuff.
or pelican cases if you got the $$ search here there are threads with P case setups lots pics

buds224

Enlightened
I wear an RG Loader from Hazard4; when I don't use my maxpedition kodiak. Allows me to carry a PD32UE, PD35 and HP25. I use one of the removable pouches to store spare batts.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Maxpedition EDC I use to take out camping, gives me enough room to take a few, and batteries.
Otherwise I use a peli storm case (bit bulky though), or a B&W type 10 case (smaller, less bulky and cheap...plus just as tough).

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't usually transport a lot of flashlights, but I've used this approach for packing fragile trinkets before and it'll work great for flashlights too.

Lay a towel on a table and fold the bottom 1/3 of the towel up. Then lay your flashlights down side by side, alternating one under the fold, and one on top of the fold. (Also alternate the orientation of the wider head lights bezel up/down.) Then fold the top 1/3 of the towel over them all, and roll the towel up from the side. Use a rubberband to keep it all together and note "this-end-up" orientation since one side is still somewhat open where some of the lights could still potentially slide out. Makes a nice staging surface when you're ready to play too.

jamie.91

Enlightened
I've also been looking for a light carrier! I'm sick of using socks haha

Ideally a fabric case but not nylon like the holsters, it's quite harsh in reality!

Something that splits and opens like a book with say 8 internal pouches would be ideal!

Last edited:

Paul_DW

Enlightened
I've also been looking for a light carrier! I'm sick of using socks haha

Ideally a fabric case but not nylon like the holsters, it's quite harsh in reality!

Something that splits and opens like a book with say 8 internal pouches would be ideal!
I was thinking last night about using socks ...lol

Yeah like you say something that splits open with x amount of pouches instantly accessible would do the trick!

Still looking...

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
:D ... oh she's not interested in my flashlights!

Ok good to see people have their own ways and means of carrying them. Not sure there's anything in this lot that fits my bill, but will keep looking!

Cheers

Doesnt mean you can't stick them in her purse when she's not looking!

Sounds like your looking for more protection for your lights, have you checked the pelican case thread, you can see some pretty killer setups there, for my glove box light I use one of those $8 triangle pistol hard cases that zips shut, its to small for multiple lights but it holds the polytac I keep in the car along with a traffic wand and spare batteries in a powerpax.

If you do go for something like this make sure you get spare foam, especially if you go for an expansive setup, it takes some practice to be able to cut the recesses cleanly.

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Doesnt mean you can't stick them in her purse when she's not looking!

Sounds like your looking for more protection for your lights, have you checked the pelican case thread, you can see some pretty killer setups there, for my glove box light I use one of those $8 triangle pistol hard cases that zips shut, its to small for multiple lights but it holds the polytac I keep in the car along with a traffic wand and spare batteries in a powerpax.

If you do go for something like this make sure you get spare foam, especially if you go for an expansive setup, it takes some practice to be able to cut the recesses cleanly.
Yeah def want protection, but more so am looking for a bag like thing, that when I open the top I have say 6 or 8 holes that go upright so I can just drop a flashlight in, and have good quick change access.

See I have a few (currently 6) that are over 200mm tall, so there's size and weight to consider as well.

I'll find, or make if I have to! ... :)

pete3

Newly Enlightened
pelican case! with the deep ones you can get creative with multiple layers of lights, but they are pricy,
or are they priceless for holding what you value...

dustin1115

Newly Enlightened
I like to do a little urban exploration from time to time, as well as quite a bit of nighttime hiking, and I always try to carry a few different lights on me. Nothing worse than a dead light when you're in the middle of a very dark place with nothing else but a cellphone screen to show yourself out with. Better to carry a couple extra pounds on me in flashlights and spare batteries than to be caught unprepared. Typically I'll stick a couple smaller lights in an outside pocket on my backpack and toss a big D-cell in the main compartment. Nothing fancy but I suppose it gets the job done. They're all relatively cheap lights that can take a good beating though; I imagine my attitude towards storage would be much different if I had more cash invested in them! Of course if I happen to be exploring a more high-risk abandonment, I leave the bag and the big light at home and shove three small ones into my pockets (a belt holster is obviously out of the question in that case). Sometimes it's necessary to be a little inconspicuous. Something about being an 18-year-old guy with a backpack full of flashlights just draws the attention of local law enforcement, even if all I'm trying to do is take some pictures and play with my lights :laughing:

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Ahhhh haa! Think I might be onto something:)

Ogio goggle bag!

http://ogio.com/goggle-box
I'm REALLY liking the look of this. Pity there's no picture of it open, or inside, but from what it says this REALLY fits the bill for me ... :)

I'll contact them and see if they can explain more or even send any diff pictures.

Good call, thanks ... :)

Oh and my biggest is 15" so with a max of 16" I'm sorted! ... :)

I'll update if I get one, but who knows, could find something even more suitable!