9AN's tailcap spring

nuw040

Newly Enlightened
9AN\'s tailcap spring

What is tailcap spring? and where is it or which part of 9AN?
Please help, THANK YOU

bfm

Newly Enlightened
Re: 9AN\'s tailcap spring

It is the spring inside the tail cap, visible if you unscrew the tail cap, that keeps tha batteries from rattling around and provide the negative contact.

ygbsm

Enlightened

I removed and replaced mine by simply pulling it out of the tailcap.

ToddM

Enlightened

yep, when you remove the tailcap and look inside it, it's obviously a spring maybe 3/8" in dia. and oh 5/8" long, also the only part easily removeable from the lock out tailcap.

If your looking to get it replaced since surefire had some issues with some of them and reportedly the new spring increases voltage to the bulb by as much as 20% I hope you have better luck than I have. I've been sent wrong parts twice now in attempting to get the new spring since October. I'm waiting for their third attempt. It hasen't cost me anything but when it takes a month or more to get each shipment and the first two are wrong it's less than a positive experience.

Todd

Tombeis

Enlightened

Todd:

Steve Ryan at Surefire replaced the entire tailcap with new springs in two of my 9AN's.

I could see the improvement in the whitness of the light.

Now, if we could only get a battery fix...

ToddM

Enlightened

Tombeis,

Yeah that's who I've been talking with to get the spring. My guess is somewhere from Steve to who ever actually ships the parts things get messed up.

The first time I got what I thought to be a 9N tailcap assembly but it's too small, must be for like a old 8X, the second time all I got was a spring but it's not the 9AN spring it's much larger in dia. like 1".

So now I'm waiting for the third try, hopefully third time is the charm. I don't mind the battery fix too much, I have 6 2200 mah packs I made some time ago. Though I wouldn't mind having the 6 defective packs replaced with something that actually works.

Todd