Surefire P2X fury

cdnelectrician

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, new to the forum have been reading posts here for a few years. I went out today to buy myself a good quality flashlight, decided on a Surefire P2X fury (I wanted the 6PX pro but could not find a stocking distributor). Anyways, got it home and noticed that the reflector is not painted very well at all...looks like there was dust or something on the reflector before it got coated or painted. Has anyone had this issue with Surefire? I wasn't expecting to have any issues with a 130 dollar flashlight.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hello all, new to the forum have been reading posts here for a few years. I went out today to buy myself a good quality flashlight, decided on a Surefire P2X fury (I wanted the 6PX pro but could not find a stocking distributor). Anyways, got it home and noticed that the reflector is not painted very well at all...looks like there was dust or something on the reflector before it got coated or painted. Has anyone had this issue with Surefire? I wasn't expecting to have any issues with a 130 dollar flashlight.

Are you talking about a reflector that looks like this?
http://light-reviews.com/Flashlight...ury-dual-output-led-review/head-front-view-7/

If so, this is normal. We term this an "orange peel" or textured reflector. It smooths out any irregularities in the beam and actually makes the beam better, not worse.

cdnelectrician

Newly Enlightened
Carrot, that reflector looks normal compared to the one in my light. It looks like there are random bits of sand stuck under the paint.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Sounds like you got it from a brick and mortar store; perhaps go back and exchange it out? They should concur w/ you on the fit n finish, quality control etc...

cdnelectrician

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies, I got it from a large sporting goods store. Took it back and exchanged it for a new one, the reflector looks way better than the last one did. Aside from some dust under the lens on the new flashlight (does this happen with Surefire's lights?) it seems to be a great light. I did notice though, the new light has a different contact ring at the head of the light than the old one did. The new one is smooth while the other one had "fingers" which I am guessing broke through any oxidization which could form on the aluminum body. It seems the replacement Fury I got is an older model compared to the first one with the shoddy reflector, has surefire done some revisions on these lights? This is my first Surefire so I am curious. Normally I wouldn't be so curious but this thing was $170.00!

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't understand. Contact ring? Fingers? Are you talking about the plastic or metal retention ring or bezel ring that retains the glass window?

cdnelectrician

Newly Enlightened
Hi Carrot, What I am referring to is the metal "washer" of you want to call it that, it sits between the circuit board in the head of the flashlight and the body or battery tube of the flashlight. If you have a P2X you can see it if you unscrew the head from the battery tube, there is a metal ring there which is free floating (not attached). The whole reason I took it apart to look at it when I got it home was because this was always a common failure point of flashlights in the past, the way the ring with the 4 "fingers" was designed made complete sense because the "fingers" would break through any oxidization on the face of the aluminum battery tube and make positive contact with the PCB. The Fury I have now has a completely smooth washer, and I assume that this was a problem for Surefire because oxidization formed on the battery tube and prevented it making good contact with the PCB. Hence, they must have changed over to the new style of contact ring. But I am not completely sure, as this is my first err second surefire product. I just hope that if this was a revision, I can just pop in the new style of contact ring!

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The head of my SF Fury is sealed onto the body. Is it possible you damaged yours when taking the head off?

cdnelectrician

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has a different contact ring as compared to what you have in the photo. It is flat on one side and there are two pointed ends (one on each side) to fit into the two slots in the circuit board.

TheVat26

Enlightened
You paid $170.00 for it? You need to return it because that is way too high. Base Fury's are normally $95-108.

cdnelectrician

Newly Enlightened
I live in Canada, the lowest I could find was $130.00 but it was not in stock. Going on a trip next week and needed a good light. So I guess I paid a bit much to have it sooner. One place was trying to charge 170 before taxes!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in Canada, the lowest I could find was $130.00 but it was not in stock. Going on a trip next week and needed a good light. So I guess I paid a bit much to have it sooner. One place was trying to charge 170 before taxes!

Living outside of the US has it's disadvantages when buying certain items I guess. But don't feel bad, cause I've (who lives in the US) also paid a premium to acquire (as in our case) a couple of flashlights. One time, I had to pay the Euro VAT tax, plus shipping on a light cause the vendor couldn't / wouldn't remove it from the price of the light.

So the way I look at things such as this, if I desire to own a product, can live with the price to acquire the product now (in lieu of waiting). I buy it! If I should find, or happen to see the product at a lower price after making the purchase, ... "C'est la vie" is what I say, or how I feel about it!

There are times that I will pay more for a product from a vendor who I've done business with in the past to have the peace of mind of this purchase as well!

Congrats on the pick up, and have fun on your trip!

Btw, my french is pretty good huh? .... Not really though, I had to Google the spelling! ... LOL

Last edited:

Fink

Newly Enlightened
This is good info for a newb like me - at least gives me a good idea of what to look out for. I have two Furys sitting at home from Amazon. Long story, but one order got jacked up by UPS (was supposed to be delivered on Saturday and wasn't) so Amazon sent me another one so I could get it sooner. Have to return one, but sounds like I'll check out the reflector of each before I do. :D

Have fun on the trip!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif