Mag Rechargeable vs SL Ultra, XT HP?

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Any one can compare a Mag Rechargeable to streamlight Ultra stinger and to the Stinger XT HP?

I would like to know how the lights from SL's are in brightness, reliability, running costs, weight, size etc compared to my Mag (i have the new bulb in it).

Thanks

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SL Ultrastinger is vying with my Tigerlight with p. spray as my all-time greatest light. One is not a replacement for the other, though. IMHO, the adjustable beam feature and the slim grip are great on the US, but the beam power and the p. spray on the T-light are awesome.

Thanks.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
I was recently deer hunting in Mississippi with a friend. He had an Ultra Stinger. I had my Mag rechargeable (and was jealous of his flashlight!).

However, well after dark, when we climbed down out of the deer blind, my Mag Rechargeable (new bulb and battery) did a much better job of shining across to the woods on the other side of the food plot.

I was really shocked ... because everyone here seems to think the Ultra Singer is better ... but the Maglite really outshone the Ultra Stinger.

I'm guessing the distance was about 100 yards. The Maglite was brighter, and much bigger circle of light.

I was chomping at the bit to buy a new Ultrastinger to replace the old Mag rechargeable ... but not anymore ... particularly after I added a new high power bulb and new battery.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
This is my first post!

I am an Aircraft Mechanic and work outside on midnight shift. Rechargeable lights are just another tool that I use at work. I am not interested in the longest throw and quick charging doesn't help me at all.

I have been using a MagCharger at work for the last 18 years. It has been extremely durable and reliable. Batteries last me about 2 years. I replace the bulb about three timed a year. It is very heavy, though. Something the MagCharger has over the others is that it makes a damn good hammer. I sent one back to MagLite years ago because I had mushroomed the end so bad the tail cap would no longer stay on. It took about 5 years to get it to that condition. MagLite replaced it under warranty. I no longer work on 727's, so my flashlight doesn't get used as a hammer near as often as it used to. My bulbs seem to last longer, too.

I tried the Stinger a couple years ago but it wasn't very bright (relative to the MagCharger) and has a short run time of only one hour. I then tried the SuperStinger; it wasn't any brighter but ran longer, about two hours. When the Ultra head came out I bought one for my SS and loved the light but the run time was back to one hour. I need two hours of run time, either from one battery pack or two. I think the UltraStinger is as good as the MagCharger for what I use a light for and would be my work carry if the battery life were longer. I like that the US is much lighter but I do not like the plastic lens and the fact that I can't replace it on my own.

I like the new Piggyback charger Streamlight has for the Stinger HP. I e-mailed them to see if they were going to sell one for the UltraStinger, too. They said no. I don't think the Stinger HP will work for me. From what I have read at CPF's about the HP, the beam is much better but the light isn't any brighter. I would put my Ultra head on my Stinger and try it but I would need to buy a bulb and a new battery (the one I have is getting dull, probably overcharged, I don't use it much). At the moment it all sounds like too much effort for something I'm already thinking I won't like.

I just bought a TigerLight 8" from Tactical Warehouse. It just arrived today so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I know it has a runtime of only one-hour but I couldn't pass up the great offer Dan has on them. I'll need to find a separate charger to put a spare battery on to get my needed two hours of runtime if I want to use it at work.

Keith

Tombeis

Enlightened
Keith:

Since Dan has such a good deal on the Tigerlight, why not buy another and just switch them in the charger.

Probably much cheaper then buying an extra battery and finding a suitable charger.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I think oren's original post just wanted confirmation/personal assurance that his Mag isn't completely useless and compares at least on par with that of the competition. Hope ksbman's post did just that.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by ksbman:
.....I don't think the Stinger HP will work for me. From what I have read at CPF's about the HP, the beam is much better but the light isn't any brighter...I know it (Tigerlight)

has a runtime of only one-hour but I couldn't pass up the great offer Dan has on them. I'll need to find a separate charger to put a spare battery on to get my needed two hours of runtime if I want to use it at work.

Keith
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Keith,

Welcome to CPF. I agree that the Magcharger is a great light, but heavy. The advantage of the Stinger line is very quick and efficient battery change in the field. (I timed under 30 seconds with my Stinger HP) The Tigerlight is very impressive but battery change is cumbersome. The Stinger HP is in fact considerably brighter than the Stinger simply because its beam is concentrated in a smaller diameter spot.

Assuming you want a continuous or semi continuous 2 hr burn that doesn't require returning to base, or carrying two flashlights, I see two possible solutions to your dilemma.

1) Extended Burn Battery: Streamlight's Stinger line uses 1800MAH batteries. There are more powerful ones available,( 2400 and 3000 +) but not proprietary to Streamlight so they must be purchased separately and modded together using cannibalized Streamlight + and - terminals. .Dano, among others, has experimented with these batteries with excellent results. He is putting together an increased run battery stick for my Stinger/Stinger HP. I see no reason why you couldn't have some made for the US.*

2) Buy two Ultra Stingers with 2.5hr rapid chargers. Granted, the frustrating lack of a piggyback or individual battery charger for the US necessitates having two Ultrastingers so you can "borrow" one to take with your other US for quick change when needed. Back at base you are ready to go again in 2.5hrs with two fully charged Ultra Stingers if necessary.

My personal preference is option 1 above.

* I'm in no way suggesting that Dano or any other member would perform this or any other mod. It would be rude and presumptuous of me to "volunteer" someone else's services!

Brightnorm

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, the us can throw farther, and i really don't like any *ag lights... also the us is available with a fast 2.5 hour charger. i love my us, and wouldn't even consider trading it in for a *ag-charger.

another thing you migth want to consider is the tigerlight! brigher than both, and throws farther, also boasts type 3ha.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
I have all three. The Mag for 15 years which says a lot about its reliability. Think brute force - heavy but powerful.

I have SL Stingers as well. Personally, if you are thinking about the XT-HP, try the switch first. I have a difficult time with it since it is so recessed. Also, the HP's are "brighter" only because they focus to a smaller hotspot. The spill light is reduced so they can actually seem dimmer overall.

The US I use for spot work and it's tight focus is really penetrative. Long distance is its strength. Very tight, very white, but again, not much spill.

Keep in mind that these lights aren't really designed for close work - the HP and US are actually distance designs.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
Used my TigerLight at work last night. I was a little worried when the UPS guy handed me the box, it was too light. I thought I made a mistake and ordered just the light with no charger. I really like how light it is but that switch will take some getting used to. Compared to an UltraStinger a coworker had with him, the beams were the same when side by side up on the tail. Mine was a little whiter, probably because it has a new battery. Still neither is as bright as the MagCharger but certainly way more than adequate for a work light. Most people I work with use 2D Mags.

I am definitely rethinking the second charger. First, I didn't realize how expensive a good charger is. A second flashlight would be cheaper. And second, changing the battery on the TL would be a pain in the butt. I know that sooner or later I'd pull a wire out or break a lamp by constantly opening up the battery compartment.

I like the extended burn battery idea for the US, Brightnorm. I'll have to look into that. I know the other guy at work with the US would want one, too. This would give me the runtime of the MagCharger and the weight of a TL or US. It would be the best of both worlds.

Back when airliners weren't as reliable I had two MagChargers and three batteries. I kept one light at home and one at work and rotated the three batteries. I was using 1 ½ to 2 batteries a night. That way, each night I had two fresh batteries plus one being charged and a light to use at each place.

I really don't want to buy another light to have that second battery. I think the extended burn battery will be the answer for me.

Sorry, oren1s, I didn't mean to hijack your post.

Keith

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
>>the us can throw farther

Rothrandir, that's what I have been led to believe to ... but in a side by side comparison, the Maglight cast a bigger, brighter beam.

If someone has both lights ... and fresh batteries in both ... and the new high-output bulb for the Mag Charger ... I wish they would take them to their local high school football field and shine them from goalpost to goalpost.

The Mag rechargeable will outshine it.

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all,

I have my Mag charger for few years. Before i met u CPF's i thought its the best light available
shocked.gif

Now i know its not the case, the beam way from being perfect, the hot spot isn't round and have rings, its heavy and charging time is 10 Hours!The batt doesn't hold more than 90 min. The no doubt is about its durability, our police use it and i have seen it after it been abused. Though its working the beam is very poor. I don't need it as a hammer, all my equipment / tools are used within the role they designed for. My light is in a mint condition, and i would hate the thought or moment i would use it as a hammer nor using my hammer as a light
grin.gif

Yet, i don't have a clear cut from your experience as between the Mag charger and the SL US or vs the SL HP
confused.gif

Which one has a better bright beam and throw?

About the Tiger ligh i understood its charging method isn't so good, as u need to put it in a very certain way in its cradle and also a slight movement will stop charging. Also i don't seem to like the gold ring . I might not doing justice with TL, am i? ( i need it mounted in a car)

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Ksbman,

It's ok i like to hear others view, i would like to hear more about your TL vs Mag Ch Vs SL US / HP

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
P.S.

Does anyone have a pic of TL charger and how it sits there?

Thanks

kb0rrg

Enlightened
When someone is considering the Magcharger, I expect to see the SL 20X in the mix too. I don't own either, but the it is about the same size and configuration as the Mag and certantly has a proven history.

Latest posts