Light & Motion ARC Li-ion Bike Headlight

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
arc_liion_both_mounts.jpg

http://www.bikelights.com/Products/arc_li_ion.htm

Output: up to 13.5 Watts- 675 lumens/ 3.0 hrs runtime

The Light & Motion ARC Li-ion uses a proprietary peened aluminum reflector to ensure a super clean, even beam pattern with no jagged edges or dark spots. Rechargeable Lithium Ion battery pack weighs 300g. High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamp provides 13.5 watts of intense white light. Light-weight battery, multiple output levels, low battery warning and auto shutoff. $500.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
[The M1 says] Waaaah! My lights are dinosaurs already!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

fafa9786.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thanks for the heads-up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ToddM

Enlightened
Yep, great lights.

I have thier helmet mount verson and after having some other lights and even building some I'm more than happy about the $350 paid for this light. I used to be a huge advocate of 2 lights, one flood on the bars and a longer spot on the helmet, but the Arc has such a bright spot and a huge flood spill light that one no longer needs a second light unless you want a spare (not a bad idea).

I like the 3 hour runtime and the fact spare batteries are only $100. I also like that it has a true smart charger. Compared to other companies that run $150+. It's a lot of money but consider that companies still make halogen lights that are not as bright and don't run half as long at full power for over $200.

I warn ya, take one ride with a ARC light and compare them to a halogen and you will never want to ride with a halogen again, yellow and just ugly in comparison.

And yep bikes are way overpriced, but isn't everything. Though I have to admit if you did a cost of manufacturing with cost of sale bikes would be way up there. I mean a full race mountain bike can cost what a race 125 motorcycle costs.....I dare say a lot more cost and engineering goes into the motorcycle. However, like anything else, if people will pay it, companies will sell it for that. Then again if people knew how much it cost to make a pair of oakleys or a $400 north face jacket they be way more upset. Bottom line is everything is over priced if you get far enough into a hobby.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well okay the lights cost less than... the bike. And we'll leave it at that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Browsing the Welch-Allyn/Solarc site, I noticed that there's a 21W, 1300 lumen monster HID listed as
Application: Portable Illumination
Cross Reference: Cateye

Perhaps a Stadium 4 from Cateye? (If so, I sure hope they work out a better, non-separate, ballast arrangement)

Anybody in for a group buy of that WA lamp & ballast for mods? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Admins: Should this thread be moved to the HID forum?