Zebralight SC52W - the best compact light I've experienced.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each year I buy several of the latest greatest compact flashlights to see where the state of the art has come. I've got a couple of dozen nice lights gathered up from the last five years or so of LED light purchases.

My Zebralight SC52W recently arrived and I've had some time to use it for a few days.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir in this case, but I just wanted to voice my great satisfaction with this awesome light.

This very well may be the state-of-the-art compact/pocket light right now.

- Build quality is very high.
- UI is exceptionally fast, versatile, and easy to use
- Side-switch placement makes one-handed operation as fast and easy as can be imagined
- Wide-voltage capability makes the powering versatility of this light superb (cells ranging from alkaline AA, lithium AA, Eneloop, 14500 li-ion)
- Clip is strong, very effective, an allows deep pocket carry
- Easy to use battery tester
- Voltage regulated at all levels
- Over-discharge protection for li-ions (2.8v)
- Modes are programmable
- XM-L2 emitter is potent with good color quality
- Price is surprisingly reasonable for the quality, design, and engineering of the light

I know the light has been praised many times elsewhere... I just wanted to add another data point from a very satisfied customer.
:)

I have a good number of other great lights to choose from, yet I think most of them will take a back-seat to this remarkably well-designed and well-built light.

Last edited:

TronPlayer

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC52W - man, isn't this just about as good as a compact light gets?

+1, Hands down the best 1*AA light ever. I had to replace the o-ring but this is my new favorite light, absolutely amazing!

RIX TUX

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC52W - man, isn't this just about as good as a compact light gets?

I agree with all of the above.
If they all came with the same tint it would be a PERFECT.

Emeritus

Newly Enlightened

I concur with DHart. My SC52w is now with me at all times. The user interface is perfect for my needs. I just acquired Zebralight 840 mAh protected batteries for it. The light is compact and well made. I am very pleased with it.

snakyjake

Enlightened

If I didn't need to orient the switch to my thumb it would be...
If I didn't have to cycle through the modes in one direction it would be...
If it had a more intuitive UI, such as a magnetic control ring...it would...
If it was a smooth tube (not gnarly) it would be...

...perfect.

JJohn

Enlightened

...perfect.

If it had more throw and less of a flood beam it would be...perfect for my uses.

As far as your above points cycling through modes in only the "up" direction is mitigated by just turning it off with a single click and then jumping directly to low by a press of the switch. Mag control rings are amazingly inefficient. You would never get the runtimes from a light with a mag ring. You do get used to the UI, at least I did with my SC51.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

snakyjake... this light is not for you! Keep looking for your dream light.

This light can go immediately to low or HIGH, just how you hit the switch... that's AWESOME. And you can quickly change it, with one hand, and no change in hand position.

All the lights with switching at the end of the light pretty much require a second hand to make changes, unless you prefer overhead hold for some reason, in general. And I thought that the control ring on the V11R would be great, but it's no where near as easy to operate one handed, and I found the infinitely variable levels to be infinitely un-necessary. Three good levels, instantly changeable without using more than one hand and without needing to change hand hold position is... GOLDEN!

Of course, the light isn't perfect. No light is. But for me, this one comes closer than pretty much any other I have... and I have... too many! ;-)

Last edited:

LEDburn

Enlightened

If I didn't need to orient the switch to my thumb it would be...I would be guessing you don't own one or have poor sensitivity in your hands because I have always been able to pull it out of my pocket and have it on as soon as it comes out - I cannot count the amount of times I have pulled out my Quark and tried turing it on by pressing the glass lens; I also imagine (and have read of) many other flashlights being the same..
If I didn't have to cycle through the modes in one direction it would be...seeing as you can go from low->hi AND hi->low, I don't understand your statement and you clearly don't understand the light or are intentionally being misleading...
If it had a more intuitive UI, such as a magnetic control ring...it would...Intuitive UI? What, press for high, hold longer for low is hard? You almost always want either lots of light or a little light. One button, one hand, compared to some inefficient ring you need two hands to properly use. I'll take the one handed operation and most efficient circuit over a gimmicky ring anyday!
If it was a smooth tube (not gnarly) it would be...To each their own, I personally love the look and feel, not to mention THE BEST anodizing from the many manufacturers I have used. Even though there is no knurling on the body, this is one grippy light! Let's also not forget that most mag-ring cr123 lights are about the same size or longer so forget an AA/14500 equivalent coming close to the compactness and level of awesomeness the sc52 does.

Go buy one and actually give it a go and you will see, for it's class, it really is pretty bloody close to being ...perfect.

RIX TUX

Enlightened

...perfect.
SHAKEYJAKE, What light is better? Are you going to build your own?

snakyjake

Enlightened

LEDburn,

The control ring (or similar concept) is far more intuitive; ask someone who isn't a flashaholic or present the two lights and time them figuring it out.
When I'm walking and doing chores at night, I'm constantly cycling between low, med, high depending on the task and distance. I also use the ring for momentary on. I can do this using a control ring without fatigue.

I like the UI of rotating right for more light, rotate left for less light.
I can pick my light up and easily find the 360 degree control ring, and I don't need to locate a button on one side and fumble around.

RIX TUX

Enlightened

LEDburn,

The control ring (or similar concept) is far more intuitive; ask someone who isn't a flashaholic or present the two lights and time them figuring it out.
When I'm walking and doing chores at night, I'm constantly cycling between low, med, high depending on the task and distance. I also use the ring for momentary on. I can do this using a control ring without fatigue.

I like the UI of rotating right for more light, rotate left for less light.
I can pick my light up and easily find the 360 degree control ring, and I don't need to locate a button on one side and fumble around.
what light do you use that has a ring?

snakyjake

Enlightened

RIX TUX,

I like my magnetic control ring light by Jetbeam (Sunwayman was my other choice, but I got the Jetbeam cheaper), but it isn't perfect.

Just because the ideal light doesn't exist doesn't mean I can't advocate for one, and be critical of the lights that aren't getting there.

Build my own? I'm hoping a designer will agree with me and make the light I'm suggesting. I'm starting to see some of the ideas becoming implemented. A lot more lights are coming with rings and battery status indicators. Hopefully they'll come with light beacons so I can find my flashlight in the dark (my headlamp has a faint beacon). Just need to find all these features in a single package.

RIX TUX

Enlightened

RIX TUX,

I like my magnetic control ring light by Jetbeam (Sunwayman was my other choice, but I got the Jetbeam cheaper), but it isn't perfect.

Just because the ideal light doesn't exist doesn't mean I can't advocate for one, and be critical of the lights that aren't getting there.

Build my own? I'm hoping a designer will agree with me and make the light I'm suggesting. I'm starting to see some of the ideas becoming implemented. A lot more lights are coming with rings and battery status indicators. Hopefully they'll come with light beacons so I can find my flashlight in the dark (my headlamp has a faint beacon). Just need to find all these features in a single package.
I hope you find that ideal light. Maybe the ring design isn't used by manufacturers because of reliability and durability issues. But this forum was started for users who are happy with their sc52 lights. Not bashing them.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

...perfect.

If you've owned or been around the wide variety of great flashlights, for any length of time, you would know that the "PERFECT" flashlight DoEs NoT exist! Period. And probably never will. But some models come closer to that than others do.

I bought the V11R, thinking I would like the magnetic control ring, a month or so ago and while it's a very nicely made light, it doesn't hold a candle to the SC52W for operating convenience, UI, yada yada. The magnetic control ring and infinite brightness levels is slower to operate, works best with two hands, and I discovered that having an infinite range of brightness levels is... infinitely unnecessary! Control on the base and control with the ring is less ergonomic and a bit cumbersome. Nice light, but pales compared to the Zebralight, in my experience.

The three main levels of brightness on the Zebra are just right to meet a wide variety of needs, and you can access any of them in a split moment, without changing grip on the light and without use of two hands. You can also turn the light on and off just as readily and easily.

ZL offers one-handed operation at ALL times, with NO change, nor shift, in finger nor hand positioning... instant access to low or to high from off, and just as fast to change levels while on. A truly brilliant design from Zebralight. My copy of the wonderfully made V11R quickly turned into a drawer queen. Nice light, but no competition for the super compact and ingeniously designed SC52W.

Of the three dozen or so lights I've bought over the last few years, as a hard core flashaholic, this light is clearly the stand-out design that eclipses so very many other wonderful and popular lights.

I still choose some of my other lights for specific applications (like Jet I Pro pocket thrower, TK-35 long range power torch, and headlamp-also Zebralight) but for EDC and compact general use light... the SC52W is quite obviously a force to be reckoned with! Along with the still fantastic SC51W models (of which I have 3!). But that doesn't mean that you, or anyone in particular, has to find it to be your ideal light. There must be other lights for you.

Zebralight is a triumph in the world of flashlights.

The amazing success of the Zebralight models is legendary, and clear to see from the many member posts on this forum. But that doesn't mean YOU need to like it.

In my experience, your criticisms of this light don't apply to me. But no light is going to be the top choice for everyone.

Have a great, bright night!

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened

Totally agree. Have the SC50w, SC51w and now recently the 52w. All three are my most used lights, but the 52 is just absolutely perfect. A steady improvement over its predecessors. Now if they'd just come out with a 4xAA light...

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Totally agree. Have the SC50w, SC51w and now recently the 52w. All three are my most used lights, but the 52 is just absolutely perfect. A steady improvement over its predecessors. Now if they'd just come out with a 4xAA light...

Yes, it is a steady improvement and progression. I will say, though, that the tint on my three SC51W lights are absolute PERFECTION. The SC52W is my new EDC light, but my SC51W lights are my primary bedside, deskside, and around the house lights. Superb lights!

stevenkelby

Enlightened

I appreciate Snakyjakes input. If his points are not valid, I also appreciate people defending the SC52W.

I don't like Fanboy Only threads or criticism of people (vs torches).

I did just order a SC52W :)

drsmith751

Newly Enlightened

I also appreciate snakeyjakes but don't necessarily agree. I definitely appreciate others opinions, it leads to continuous improvement.

As for the light, just got mine and think it is great. The UI does require technique, but once you have it offers outstanding one handed control. I do think the beam is a little floody. I think the tint is just fine (have the W). I do think the low is a little too low, even with the three other user settings. Not sure what I would use the low for. I would have been nice to add the strobe as an option on that level also.

Great light, very happy with it. Great thread, good discussion.

markr6

Flashaholic

If they all came with the same tint it would be a PERFECT.

+ ELEVENTY-BILLION!

I returned one and have my second one arriving next Monday. Tint better not be green!!!

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened

I do not have an SC52 but I do have an SC600 Mk II and love it. Incidentally, I also have a SWM V11R and love that, too. The SWM is my EDC because of it's variability and also because it can handle AA and 123 batteries and I really love that versatility. I thought long and hard about buying the SC52 but ultimately decided not to. Even though I think the SC600 II is a really outstanding light, it's too big for me to EDC and I want the light on my belt every day to have that multiple battery size capability.

I emailed Zebralight earlier this week, inquiring about an "SC82"-type upgrade to the SC80. A woman named Lillian Xu responded with a short email in which she stated that "Yes, Zebralight does have plans to upgrade the SC80". Of course, she gave no indication of when ;) So, once they do make the SC82 (and hopefully they'll have a neutral version) then I think that will be the best AA capable light out there.

- Tim