6P replacement

donn

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone was wondering if you could help me with something.
For a while now I've been carrying a Surefire 6P with the P61 HOLA. Nice light but unfortunately its not mine and its owner wants it back next January. Due to several reasons (cost of Surefires in the UK, questionable waterproofness, runtime and the fact that Surefire appear to be shutting down their internet traders) I've been looking round for an equivalent flashlight with roughly equivalent output. I've pretty much decided to get either a Streamlight TL-2 or TL-3 xenon.
I've just a few questions I was hoping you could answer.
Is the lumen output stated for these lights on the Streamlight website (105 TL-2, 200 TL-3) accurate? Are the runtimes realistic? Are their any durability issues with these lights? And lastly, in your opinion would a TL-3 be a bit awkward to EDC when compared to the 6P/TL-2.
Thanks for any help on this
D.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
To answer your last question, yes I do think the Tl-3 would be a bit awkward to EDC. I own a Surefire Z3 and it's a bit munch to putin my back pocket or carry around all the time. I find myself wanting a E2E or a G2 all because I think that it would be easier and less bulky to carry around. I hope this helps.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
donn, you won't go wrong with either of the SL lights. I have both the TL-2, and TL-3, and they are nice. The bezel on the TL-3 is larger than a Scorpion, or a regular 6P bezel. The TL-2 bezel is the same size as the 6P.That said, they both have a nice pocket clip, blocky non-slip knurling, and a nice recessed "momentary" clickie.

Quickbeam's tests show the TL-3 with over 2 1/2 times the throw (Lux) of the P61, and 40% more relative "Lumens". It is a bit big for EDC, but when carrying, I simply carry it clipped to my pocket, or belt.

The TL-2 won't match the P-61 in Lumens, but does beat the P-60 (again Quickbeams figures). Same nice clip, and body as the "3", just smaller.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
whether you decide in the end to own a surefire or streamlight, you can always get one at a bargain from the b/s/t forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
The TL3 is an excellent light. My switching to LEDs for many applications (for reliability and constant output for a long time) caused my TL3 to be retired from my shoulder bag and I replaced it with an L6 and a "just in case" KT4 Turbohead.

I did a little shootout of my lights that you can see it in this thread.

Cheers,

Richard

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tech, I just edited my post. Had my finger in my ear or something.

TL-2 is the same bezel diameter as the 6P.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Johnk - Thanks!

Donn - Run times appear to be very similar for the TL-2/6P/TL-3/Scorpion that being around 50-60 minutes. (search the forums for specific threads)

The output of the 6P compared to the TL-2 & Scorpion (TL-2 & scorp they use the same bulb) are very close (~60 lumens) if not identical. (again search the forums for specific threads)

So essentially the SL TL-2 would offer the closest in terms of performance. (Scorpion not "waterproof" due to the rubber sheath over the main barrel)

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Scorpion not "waterproof" due to the rubber sheath over the main barrel)>>>>>

I don't think that the rubber covering makes a snit of difference. Both have slightly adjustable beams, the possibility of a leak there, and I think they would be similiar in water resistance.

Any of the SF's, or SL's should hold up well in the average rain, not necessarily completely submerged for long periods.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
donn,

There's nothing like the P61 for small and bright! I love the 2x123 SF's with the P61. It's awesome to be able to pocket so much light power.

I own a D2 (which is exactly the same as a 6P but it comes with a removeable pocket clip) but I want to get a SF w/ grip ring--i.e. C2 or M2. If you are interested in buying it, I may sell it, and if I do I will sell it cheap, and it's in excellent/like new condition. Watch B/S/T. But either way, 6P's and other 2x123 SF lights show up there on a regular basis.

As for the TL's and scorpion, etc., I don't have any experience with them, so I can't help. Sorry.

donn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help everyone. The lights needed as a recent hand injury means I'm walking back from my late shifts instead of biking. I've found a bright light to be an asset, hence the 6P/P61. As its going to be a mainly winter light I've decided on the TL-3 as the size wont matter with all the pockets I've got.
Again, thanks
D.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
donn,

If you are accustomed to using a SureFire, the G2 is quite weatherproof (and durable) and can be purchased quite inexpensively. You could talk someone over here into shipping it over to you so you'd probably only end up paying US$35-$40 total. This would also allow you to switch between the P60 and P61 lamps if you should so desire.

AlecGold

Enlightened
Mmmh, an A2 is also nice, but 2 bits more expensive. I replaced my 6P HALO with it.
The lesser amount of lumens is compensated by the regulation.
I have no experience with the streamlights, partly because I'm hooked on SF's and partly because they are very hard to get over here. Spare parts are a big problem as well.
Next time I'm in the UK I will take a look at the Streamlights.

donn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to the Britishblades knife forum I found a website being set up in the UK, by I think, a U.S citizen living over here. His prices quoted for Surefire/Streamlight etc are equivalent to the prices in the U.S, i.e a whole load cheaper than what us Europeans are used to paying. Anyway I chose Streamlight over Surefire as I've read here on CPF that Surefire are closing there internet dealers and that would mean I'd be shipping spare bulbs etc over from the U.S.
If you moderators dont mind its:
www.outdoorsuppliesuk.com

I'm not connected with this site at all but I think the Europeans on here could benefit.
Cheers
D.