Uses for a 3600 lumen light?

Snareman

Enlightened
Just wondering what the use for a light like the Thrunight TN30 3600 lumen light would be for the average person? There is the guy side of things that more lumens is always better right? Can never have too many lumens, plus it has a 1 lm mode for 1200 hours. But in general, what are the uses for 3600 lumens worth of light - especially in a not overly compact package.

380long

Newly Enlightened
I never went to use a flashlight and thought this is too bright or have had anyone say to me do you have a dimmer flashlight? More lumens is what drives most of us to purchase!

Snareman

Enlightened
I never went to use a flashlight and thought this is too bright or have had anyone say to me do you have a dimmer flashlight? More lumens is what drives most of us to purchase!

Yea, I get the more is better idea. Its like the megapixel war with cameras. I actually have wanted dimmer - some lights don't have a low enough low mode for using at the hospital or in pitch black where 8lm is too much. But what are the practical uses for a large--ish 3600 lumen light?

alex21

Newly Enlightened
I can't imagine many urban city dwellers finding much use for this kind of a light or a 'mega thrower', but if you live in the country or a farm or go camping, hiking, etc in those areas.. (which many folks on this forum prolly do)

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
Use for a 3600 lumen light? Lighting things up very brightly...

sorry couldnt help myself.

But honestly tho you ask what the average person is going to need a light like that, well they're not. Your every day flashlight user isn't going to buy such a light, the people that do buy it either have a very specific use for it or they're just in a lumen race. The every day sheep wouldnt even consider such a light.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taking out the garbage twice a week...hunting for ice cream in the refrigerator...and other tactical type missions.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I got mine for a wooded area search and rescue.

Otherwise, it can light up interior rooms brightly enough that no other lights will be necessary.
It can light up out door areas well enough for out door sports to continue after dark.

There are definitely times that it would be over-powering, and I guess there would never be a time that you couldn't achieve the same lumenocity with a multiple of smaller lights, but it is nice to have it in one package.

I also have a sawzall, I may use it two or three times a year, and then not again for three years, but, whenever I use that baby, I am delighted that I have it. There are some jobs, that nothing but a sawzall will do.

Snareman

Enlightened
Use for a 3600 lumen light? Lighting things up very brightly...

sorry couldnt help myself.

But honestly tho you ask what the average person is going to need a light like that, well they're not. Your every day flashlight user isn't going to buy such a light, the people that do buy it either have a very specific use for it or they're just in a lumen race. The every day sheep wouldnt even consider such a light.

Ok, true enough. I'll amend my question to "what are the uses for a light that bright?"

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Work light. I've used a HID spotlight focused for flood to do work outside at night several times - more often than I've used it to light up anything in the distance.

Lighting up a room during a power outage (or when power has been switched off to do electrical work).

LED would be better-suited to this than HID since it's simpler, dim-able, and should have a much longer lifespan.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My goal was to have a flood light that was so good it was like turning on a light switch outdoors. That is my reason, i wanted a flashlight that was so floody it wasn't even like a flashlight anymore, no beam but rather like a lamp. I'm camping at night and i hear something, or i want to check something (scenery) out and I want the effect of an outdoor light switch. I friggin love my one mode regulated 3,200 lumen, 4 de-domed XML2 mod. It'll blow up an entire field, i can drive golf balls at night with this thing. The ULTIMATE who goes there light. In a cave i'll get to see a TON of the inside all at once instead of a little over hear and a little over there. It's just spectacular to 'See it all'

druidmars

Enlightened
Mostly for showing off...bragging rights. Nut maybe thats just me.

Not necessarily. For those like me who live in a rural area, poorly lit, using such a light can be as natural as drinking water just by going outside at night. It will be my future purchase: a nitecore TM26. Ah! Can't wait :)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not necessarily. For those like me who live in a rural area, poorly lit, using such a light can be as natural as drinking water just by going outside at night. It will be my future purchase: a nitecore TM26. Ah! Can't wait :)

I here you. Wish I had a valid reason to spend $$$ on all these lights. I just don`t. But I can`t allow that fact/reality stop me. So...rather than just saying "just cause I want it"...I come up with..."it would be terrible if the light in the refrige burnt out and I could not find my ice cream one night"...and it could happen someday LOL...meanwhile I can enjoy shining them around pointlessly :)

Kabible

Enlightened
My TM26 lives on the night stand. Not far from a .357 . If (and I hope never) someone breaks in, the idea is to blind them and prevent extremely traumatic lead poisoning.

Works real well for lighting up the ENTIRE back yard when something goes bump in the dark.

Last edited:

CNR

Newly Enlightened
For me is as simple as walking in the mountain at night, 25lm would be enough to see the path, but i'd feel very insecure not been able to see around what may be coming to me, also if you get unsure of the way a big light is a must, the bigger the better, as long as it's not too heavy/bulky.

sbbsga

Enlightened
In the context of TN30, I just use the level 6 as burst mode to get more visual details. To me, the weight is no issue because of its performance and the long runtimes on the lower levels.

Sent from mobile device.

texas cop

Enlightened
I need a light that lights an entire parking lot, alley, warehouse, fields with brush or through a tinted window. 3600 lumens isn't always enough.

tonkem

Enlightened
You can never have "too much light". Taking my Betty TL 2600 lumens and Zebralight S6330 2400 lumens for walks in the dark, on vacation, going from medium to max is sometimes necessary to see everything in front of you.

utlgoa

Enlightened
Immediately lets everyone walking their dog at night know who is the Alpha Male (when it come to flashlights)

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to run the bases at Shea Stadium when it's closed ....

Last edited: