New SureFire E2L-A and E2LAA-A - Runtimes, Beamshots, and Impressions

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite visitor - the UPS Delivery Man - left a couple of things yesterday . . .

FlashlightGuide_5555.jpg

Initial impressions are very good. The E2L-A provides a noticeable bump in performance over the previous E2L and the new E1L-A (as it should) and my one sample has a much whiter beam than my E1L-A. For those that are sensitive to such things, there is still a greenish tint around the edges but it's an absolute non-issue to me. I don't have an expert eye for color rendering but it appears to do a pretty good job.

I'm a little bit surprised that the E2L-A does not have the same pocket clip as the new E2DL Ultra which includes a hole for attaching a lanyard. Instead, the clip is solid like on the LX2 and A2L. I can't believe that SureFire is planning to produce two nearly identical clips over the long term so I suspect that we will begin seeing the newer style clip on all these lights in the future, as the older ones are depleted.

The E2LAA-A is my first AA powered SureFire so, unfortunately, I can't compare it to the earlier E2LAA. However, I can say that it has the whitest beam of the three latest generation Outdoorsman lights I have received. It comes supplied with Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries.

A picture is worth 1000 words so . . . .

FlashlightGuide_5557.jpg

Three different bezel assemblies (from left to right - E1L-A, E2L-A, E2LAA-A)
FlashlightGuide_5559.jpg

When compared to the other two, the E1L-A (far right) has a noticeably purple cast to the lens/optic. As far as I know, all SureFire's have AR coatings on them but it's much more pronounced on the E1L-A
FlashlightGuide_5567.jpg

FlashlightGuide_5574.jpg

FlashlightGuide_5592.jpg

It takes a long time to perform runtime tests on these lights so that's still in progress. So far, I have only completed the E2L-A on 2xCR123. As time permits I plan to test it on 1x17670.

SureFire%2520E2L-A%25202xSFCR123.jpg

It's obvious that the E2L-A does not use the same step down strategy as the E1L-A (unless you count the step down at the 368 minute mark :grin2:). The output was very stable over the first 6+ hours before it began dropping in approximately 10% increments over the next 30 minutes. It then settled out at around 11-12% of initial output for the next 40 minutes and then after a brief burst of higher output, dropped down to a "moonlight" level. The E2L-A was still producing this lowest level of light after 9.5 hours when I gave up and went to bed last night.

So far, SureFire has absolutely nailed it with regard to their advertised runtimes on the new Outdoorsman lights. In my tests of the E1L-A and E2L-A they both ran for exactly one minute over their advertised runtime to the 10% level. Regardless of what anyone may think about the output levels or total runtime, I think this consistency says something about the manufacturing tolerances for these lights and batteries.

Based on my samples, the output of the E2L-A is about 25% greater than the E2L with KX2. Runtimes are very similar even though the lights behave slightly different when they drop out of the highest output. The E2L-A better tolerates nearly dead batteries with a consistent low output while the KX2 version began pulsing somewhere around the 9.5 hour mark. (not shown on chart)

SureFire%2520E2L-A%2520and%2520E2L%2520Comparison.jpg

EDIT: The full reviews for the E2L-A and E2LAA-A are now up!

The E2LAA-A is currently burning through a set of Eneloops so I don't have complete information on it yet. So far I can say that its initial measured output is virtually identical to the E2L-A and that it exhibits the same behavior as the E1L-A with a step-down to 75% after running for 2 minutes.

Weather permitting I will get some outdoor beamshots tonight and will hopefully have a review of the E2L-A completed tomorrow. The E2LAA-A will take a bit longer as I will still want to test it with the Energizer Lithiums and a set of Energizer Alkalines.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New SureFire E2L-A and E2LAA-A - Initial Impressions

Thanks for doing this! The new E2L-A and E1L-A are really catching my attention and the runtime graphs that you did there are real nice. Big thanks!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, thanks to you 880arm for the tests of these great lights!

However, I already have the predecessors, and would not find it justified to get the new updated versions. The differences are not huge and because of the prices I really want to make use of the versions I have.
Anyway I want to say that Surefire is something special. The quality feeling is unbeatable.
My Surefire lights are the last lights I would get rid of!

Last edited:

BIG45-70

Enlightened
New SureFire E2L-A and E2LAA-A - Initial Impressions

Really looking forward to some runtime data on the AA model!

carrot

Flashaholic

The new E2L-A certainly looks like a winner. As a big fan of the E2L I'm glad that Surefire is giving it the love it deserves.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I must be missing something here. This is a 80 lumen and 3 lm...2 aa light that sells for...$160? Why would folks want it? Might have been nice 10 years ago...but in a world filled with excellent 2 aa lights putting out around 300 lumen...?

carrot

Flashaholic

I must be missing something here. This is a 80 lumen and 3 lm...2 aa light that sells for...$160? Why would folks want it? Might have been nice 10 years ago...but in a world filled with excellent 2 aa lights putting out around 300 lumen...?
I see it as 125 lumens on Surefire's website. The E2L has never been about barn burning brightness, simply to be reasonably bright while running for a looooong time on a single set of batteries. The new ones are no different.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, thanks to you 880arm for the tests of these great lights!

However, I already have the predecessors, and would not find it justified to get the new updated versions. The differences are not huge and because of the prices I really want to make use of the versions I have.
Anyway I want to say that Surefire is something special. The quality feeling is unbeatable. My Surefire lights are the least I would get rid off!

I know what you mean. These new lights are nice but the biggest upgrade over their predecessors is only on paper. We all know the older lights were better performers than their specifications would indicate. However, if you're upgrading from one of the earliest Outdoorsman lights it's definitely a substantial upgrade.

I also think these slight increases in output and/or runtime position the lights to begin to fill other niches in the product line. For example, although the new E1L isn't a direct replacement, it does help fill some of the void left after the E1B was discontinued.

On 2xEneloops (first test): 2 minutes @ 100%, 4 hours 38 minutes @ 75%, 4 hours 50 minutes total until it dropped below 10% initial output.

It's about 2.5 hours into the test of the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. If it holds true to SureFire's advertised ratings, we should know something more about them in about 10 hours.

I've got some beam shots from last night I will try to get up later. Right now, my internet connection is kind of sporadic.

It's actually 115 and 5 lumens and sells for around $175. The previous version was 80 and 3 and sells for around $126 now. The Outdoorsman series of lights are oriented more toward longer runtime over high output. Also, the TIR lens allows for a pretty decent amount of reach with the relatively "low" output.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know what you mean. These new lights are nice but the biggest upgrade over their predecessors is only on paper. We all know the older lights were better performers than their specifications would indicate. However, if you're upgrading from one of the earliest Outdoorsman lights it's definitely a substantial upgrade.

I also think these slight increases in output and/or runtime position the lights to begin to fill other niches in the product line. For example, although the new E1L isn't a direct replacement, it does help fill some of the void left after the E1B was discontinued.

On 2xEneloops (first test): 2 minutes @ 100%, 4 hours 38 minutes @ 75%, 4 hours 50 minutes total until it dropped below 10% initial output.

It's about 2.5 hours into the test of the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. If it holds true to SureFire's advertised ratings, we should know something more about them in about 10 hours.

I've got some beam shots from last night I will try to get up later. Right now, my internet connection is kind of sporadic.

It's actually 115 and 5 lumens and sells for around $175. The previous version was 80 and 3 and sells for around $126 now. The Outdoorsman series of lights are oriented more toward longer runtime over high output. Also, the TIR lens allows for a pretty decent amount of reach with the relatively "low" output.

Oh, ok. Just did not seem to measure up to others at first glance...what type of run time could one expect from rechargeable batts on the high mode?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you 880arm, we greatly appreciate your time, effort, lights & batteries!

Can't wait!/bartscott

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am drooling over these lights while waiting for them to hit the shelves of my local dealer.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, ok. Just did not seem to measure up to others at first glance...what type of run time could one expect from rechargeable batts on the high mode?

Here's what it looks like on Eneloops. The test with the Energizer Ultimates is still chugging along . . .

SureFire%2520E2LAA-A%25202xEneloop.jpg

Thank you 880arm, we greatly appreciate your time, effort, lights & batteries!

It's a lazy rainy Sunday here so the time and effort are no problem. As far as the batteries are concerned, I try not to think about that! :whistle:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

The E2L-A review is up!

The short version is that I like the light a lot. Good output, long runtime, and it seems to have a very useful beam with a broad hotspot and a really wide spill beam. I also like the fact that it can sustain its full output for quite a while (6+ hours) but then give plenty of warning when it's time to change batteries. The output is more than adequate for most general uses without being excessive. It's not for everyone - no light ever is - but I believe it will find plenty of fans around here. I'm going to use this light a lot.

I was a little surprised to notice the E2L-A (KE2 head) had a different beam profile than the E1L-A (KE1 head) and the E2LAA-A (KE1B head). Specifically, the hotspot is broader and slightly more diffuse. I can't really tell any difference between the LED's and optics by looking at them so I'm not sure if the difference is by design or if there is something "off" with my copy of the E2L-A (or with my eyesight).

It's more than just a difference in output as the initial levels of the E2L-A and E2LAA-A are very very close to each other. In each photo below the distance to the wooden swing is 30 yards. Additional photos and side-by-side comparisons are in the review.

SureFire_E1L-A~5.jpg

SureFire_E2L-A~5.jpg

SureFire_E2LAA-A~5.jpg

Moving on to the E2LAA-A, the runtime tests with Energizer Ultimate Lithium primaries and a set of Energizer MAX Alkalines are completed. With the lithiums the E2LAA-A exceeded its advertised runtime with a total of 8 hours and 53 minutes until dropping below 10% output. As with the Eneloops (and the E1L-A), the output drops after the light is on for 2 minutes but with the lithiums, it dropped to 79% of its original output, rather than 75%. The Eneloops provided a slightly higher output than the other batteries.

SureFire%2520E2LAA-A%25202xEnergizerUltimate.jpg

The alkalines surprised me a little bit providing over 3 hours of regulated output and over 4 hours until dropping below 10%. As with the lithiums, they dropped to 79% output after 2 minutes.

SureFire%2520E2LAA-A%25202xEnergizerMAX.jpg

Here's how the three battery types compare to each other

SureFire%2520E2LAA-A%2520Runtime.jpg

Aside from taking some beam shots last night I haven't spent much time using the E2LAA-A, mainly because it's been spending so much time lighting up the inside of a box the past 2 days. I will try to spend some quality time with it over the next couple of days and start working on a full review. I also intend to take some current and voltage measurements to better understand the reduction in output after 2 minutes. :wave:

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks once again for the beam shots and updates. Will you update us with a graph for the E1L-A also? I am suspecting that the output for the E1L-A would drop at two minutes too?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks so much. I missed that thread entirely. Very much appreciated!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting results. But I am a bit surprised. The runtimes are pretty similar as the predecessors and with the drop after 2 minutes the brightness during the rest of the runtime actually is just slightly higher(likely not noticable without a side-by-side comparison). As far as I can see the newer versions then don't have so much higher performance as the specifications indicates.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish I had a light with the KX1B head so I could make a direct comparison. Hopefully someone who has this head, as well as the new E1L-A and/or E2LAA-A, will be able to share their experiences.

I have intended to purchase an E2LAA for quite a while but just never got around to it. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get one but things have gotten a little out of hand lately with my light purchases. I need to slow down for a week or two. :broke: